Finding its a lot of discipline working from home

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Not the working part - my "office" is highly organized -multitasking is down to a fine science with me and once my hind end hits the chair, I am in the zone- total focus on my work. Kids talking, bird chirping, 4 dogs barking -total tune out - I never hear them

My problem is the kitchen in the next room...omg, I am doing total munching all day long. When I get up to refill my coffee cup, I sit down with coffee and some kind of food- and I drink a LOT of coffee.

At this rate, in three months, I am going to have to have a contractor come in and enlarge the doors cause I am not going to be able to get thru them :( Tuesday at lunchtime I baked a Chocolate Cake. SO is not helping cause every day this week he has gotten up to make breakfast - hugh honking breakfast burritos with eggs and sausages.

But I think he has noticed I am eating a lot as he came up to me and said "I plugged in your treadmill for you"

And I so don't like to munch of carrot sticks and celery unless I have a bowl of Ranch dressing..

Ack...

Marcie

trinityroyal

Marcie, have you tried the low-fat ranch dressing with the carrots and celery?
It's actually really good.

I work at home a lot too, and have done so for years. I think being so very close to the fridge is the hardest thing. For the first while, I treated my home office as the Office. I would get dressed for work in work clothes (well, casual Friday work clothes...maybe casual Saturday, but not pyjamas), and pack a lunch, just like I took to the office.

It helped my brain to realize that I was at work. I don't have to do that so much anymore, but it did help.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
That is a good idea Trinity about packing a lunch - thanks for that idea..cause I am about 6 feet from the fridge. I have one of those doors to the kitchen that slides into the wall - never have used it but I think I need to start so I don't actually see into the kitchen.

I do get dressed before I sit down - just doesn't feel right sitting and working in my jamies LOL

Marcie

Star*

call 911........call 911
On my fridge are pictures of morbidly obese people - and myself.

I wish my weight gain problem was from eating - I can eat nothing and gain weight.....yet my lab work screams I am healthy.

I hate being this size but Marcie - IF YOU WERE AT WORK YOU COULD NOT BAKE A CAKE!!!!!

Maybe get in the mind set that your kitchen is like the cafeteria at work - and only allow yourself 2 15 minute breaks and 30 mins. for lunch.

I would KILL to work at home......

slsh

member since 1999
Marcie - I hear you!! I have the exact same problem. One thing that has helped (a little) is that I make my pot of coffee in the morning, put it in a thermos to put next to my desk, and that keeps my posterior planted a little bit longer. I have ongoing laundry issues so my downfall is quick work breaks when I pass through the kitchen to the basement, I inevitably grab something to eat. I don't know why but it's become a habit. I need to stop soon or I'm going to have to buy a new wardrobe!!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I find that chewing sugar-free gum helps take the munchy edge off for me. Have you thought about trying that?

Stella Johnson

I'm sure I would have the same problem if I worked from home. Maybe it's time to throw out all the junk food. I have found that if it's not there, I won't eat it.;)

Steph

Abbey

Spork Queen
Ha! Yes...the lure of working at home. I lasted about a week. It was not because of food issues, just boredom and, well husband.

Not buying junk food is a good start. But, that's like telling me not to buy cigarettes.

I also like the idea of mandating the normal 15 minute breaks.

Tough road when temptation is just around the corner.

Abbey

Lothlorien

I work from home, also. The laundry is always an issue and my laundry room is on the second floor, so I can't hear the washer or dryer finish. I do tend to snack a bit more than I should. My biggest problem is getting sidetracked....Oh, let me check my email. Let me check the CD site....oh, yeah, Kohl's is having a clearance sale. I could probably get more done, during the day, if I didn't always get sidetracked. Then the phone rings. Then the kids are fighting. One of the neighbors stops by.

I find that my best time to work is early in the morning, especially after the kids go to school. If I can get as much done in the morning, I get sidetracked a lot less and I don't really snack in the am.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Whats really weird is when I went to an office, I sat down in the morning and worked and never thought about eating - I could go all day and never think of food - I wouldn't eat unless SO started complaining he was hungry - shoot - I barely went to the bathroom all day. And its not like I didn't have a fridge full of frozen dinners, a microwave, one of those portable ovens. I had more junk food at the old office - have absolutely no junk food at home (unless you count the chocolate cake I made the other day)

I think I will be in the same position with laundry - its in the back bedroom - I have yet to venture back there. Looks like that won't ever get done unless I put it in the kitchen.

Well, am off to do some work and my Top Ramen is done cooking...

Marcie

I sent SO out to get me a pack of gum LOL