First NAMI borderline class

exhausted

I just want to weigh in on the causes for Borderline (BPD) thing. In our case we absolutely know that the early childhood sex abuse my daughter suffered was the root of her illness.
There is nobody with this particular mental illness in our families. We were good and i would say pretty validating parents. She was a great baby and an easy child until the illness set in.
Honestly, it is hard to be highly validating now because she is always making such poor choices. But i have read that they need way more reinforcement and attention than others.
It is a challenge to validate her sometimes.
I think that people may have genetic predispositions to certain mental health issues.....i really believe that in many cases there is a trigger to setting
them off. Sometimes i think it is just a series of things that are not necessarily traumas and a very sensitive person may begin to suffer. I dont think it is easy to put
your finger on causal relationships with MI issues all the time....i think these issues are organic, complex and just tough. After all we are talking about the
most complex human organ. I am hoping to get called to this group..(thanks Kathy) i want to learn all i can. In the end, none of us needs guilt and blame. How is it that some pretty
normal kids come out of really horrible homes? Its the old nature vs. nuture thing. Too complex!