Has anybody used E.L.F. cosmetics?

Mattsmom277

I'm intrigued by the price of E.L.F. cosmetics, and Oprah magazine apparently gave it a pretty good review. She stated it was a great way to indulge your makeup obsessions without breaking the bank. apparently she thinks the products hold up fairly okay against more 'premium' brands.

So i am considering sending in a order, but was wondering if anybody has tried these products. i am leaning towards their mineral makeup collection. i have read several reviews online that their makeup brushes are also pretty good quality, so probably get some of those too. i don't actually wear too much makeup, and many days none at all, but i hate not having some nice stuff there when i do want it. And I really can't afford to do what I spent years doing ... splurging at the MAC counter (Studio fix is like manna from heaven to me!)

(For those that don't know, ELF products sell for $1. All of the line. Then they have mineral makeup collection and a studio line collection. They go for either $3 or $5. Nothing is higher priced than that. Anybody interested in ordering, be sure to google for coupon codes, I found tons. They included free products with all orders, free stuff with orders over $15, free shipping over $50, buy one get one half off (good deal if you buy a boxed set), $7.50 off coupons (perfect to cover shipping if you only want to buy a few things, your bill will be sooo small!).

let me know if anybody tried this line. I'm all ears :)

M

ML

I think Susiestar spoke of these recently if I'm not mistaken. Once they arrive, if you like them please let us know.

Mattsmom277

Ooooh, i hope susie shows up with some more info :)

I am pretty sure I'm going to give it a try regardless, but still curious lol.

I think I'll use the code for $7.50 (which nearly covers shipping to canada) and order just a very few things. Lipstick, mascara, eyeliner, blush and probably 2 of the mineral collections foundations things. If I can have it all shipped with a bill of under $30 I may just have to dance with joy lol.

I do miss my MAC studio fix compacts. they are super pricey but I swore by them and they lasted so long that they felt well worth it to me. Its been many years since i could afford to spend that much on makeup at once though.

crazymama30

I have some of their body lotion, really like it. I recently got a mineral makeup set from Costco--liquid foundation, concealer, pressed powder for $15 for all three. It was the first time I had used the mineral makeup. I really do like it, it feels light but evens out my reddish uneven toned skin well. Wears longer than what I had before too.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Ummm... is it for people who only want to use a little makeup? :tongue:

Or better still, for those of us blessed with pointed ears and a penchant for hot cocoa and wearing bells on our shoes? :laugh:

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
I bought some of their liquid eyeliner and it was great. You only get small amounts, but usually that's better for me..... I don't tend to wear a lot of make-up, so would probably end up throwing it away because it didn't get used. I think I found it at Meijer? (Michigan based store in midwest) They may have it at Wal mart too. For a dollar or two it's worth trying, but would hate to have to pay more for shipping...... Oh, and my skin is not sensitive so I can wear almost anything without reactions.......

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I bought a bunch for stocking stuffers and my girls like it. I also bought myself a makeup bag for traveling as well as some makeup products, in particular an eyebrow wax and I really love the way it holds up for a long time and washes off easily with regular face wash. Good stuff, great deal.

I use bare escentuals, but if you get the mineral makeup, please post how you like it because theirs is much less expensive!

Mattsmom277

i think if they are smaller sizes it would work well for me too. i don't wear alot of makeup and much of the time I wear none at all. i end up throwing out stuff due to its age. Alot. i really am no longer in a position to throw away anything.

i am so anxious to try a mineral makeup!!!

i have heard in canada you can get elf products at zellers and winners stores. but I've heard that they only carry prepackaged box sets. I'm pretty picky about colors etc, so I'm probably best off by ordering online. i'll post an update when i get some and give them a try

witzend

My pores are so huge that nothing looks good on me. I really wish I could find something that would even out my skin.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Witz, I have the same issue with the pores and blotchy skin. My mother and maternal grandmother are/were redheads. I got the redhead skin, but not the hair color.

Add in spending too much time in the sun and wind and on the water, and my skin is horrible.

I don't even bother with makeup. All it does is glob up in the pores and call attention to them. Plus, I'm allergic to darned near anything I've tried.

I can't use toners because my skin will literally peel, and I can't use the "anti-aging serums" for the same reasons.

susiestar

Roll With It
I LOVE this stuff!!! Jess is using it almost exclusively. The only item I don't like is the waterproof mascara. J and I have real mascara problems - nothing stays put long, and the elf mascara isn't great for us.

If you have an acne problem they have a concealer pencil/brush combo that treats the acne as well as covering it.

They have products for EVERYONE.

I have used mineral, studio, and regular lines as well as brushes and other tools. They are AWESOME.

Periodically they have a deal for a free mini-makeup kit. It is well worth trying. Great set up, nice products, makes an awesome gift.

Target sells some of their line. To get most things you must go online, but it is worth the shipping. They also have a free magazine subscription (Vogue) if you spend $35. They had a 70% off mineral makeup sale a while back. Jessie ordered a lot, including kabuki brushes for Xmas gifts (very impressive and as nice as my Bare Minerals one bought years ago). I paid shipping and bought a few items also. The mag is one J is enjoying (too many perfume ads for my reading). Overall we got items that would have cost several hundred dollars for comparable quality even from a drugstore line.

The sizes are small. What you get from other companies often looks like more. It may or may not be. I like the smaller size. It lets me replace the items as often as recommended with-o feeling like it is killing my wallet because so much is wasted and it costs so much money to replace.

If nothing else I feel "greener" because I am tossing less away when I pitch older products, LOL.

Elf has LOTS of sales and discounts. They also have many products that work on more than one area. They have a facial whip that is a nice blush/bronzer but also adds a bit of color to eyes and lips. Even easier to use is the 3 in 1 stick for eyes lips and face. It feels good, blends well, and if you apply several thin coats the color builds up very nicely with-o looking overdone or streaky.

I find that the mineral products are pretty much like any other mineral product, at least for the powders. I haven't used the mineral lipsticks, etc.. much. I just use the powders and lipbalm or gloss, have for years.

This may or may not apply to anyone else, but I like it. These products stay on nicely but are not at all hard to remove. Often the extended wear products are hard to get off and they end up irritating my skin because traces are left. These come off nicely. My skin feels clean after I wash it, not like it has stuff on it (Estee Lauder's long wearing line is the WORST for this. Even with makeup remover (theirs) and several cleansing steps my skin still feels like the makeup is there. ICK to my Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) tendencies!)

These products do not have overwhelming scents, they don't make my acne or Jessie's worse than any other product, and they do what they say they will.

Plus they come in fun colors. I got sparkly eyeliner for Jess for Xmas - hard to find elsewhere. For some of these, check out the sugar kiss tab. They also have a nice set of eye makeup brushes for $2 there. Not the highest quality, but very nice esp when you are blind as a bat and your brushes keep tapping the mirror when you put on makeup!

Be sure not to miss that concealer pen/brush combo for acne. It has tea tree oil and really helps acne heal. The brush is nice because it blends it so well.