Has anyone read Toxic Inlaws?

KTMom91

Haven't read it...but I do have Miss KT's useless father's crazy mother to deal with occasionally...and boy is she toxic!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I think I'll buy a copy to leave on the coffee table, anyway.

I'll probably read it, too, but ya know....let her read the cover of THAT book. Cause she knows her dear son doesn't read....

N

Nomad

There is a book on the subject? Wow....
My mom had one. I had one. It is the pits.
My mother in law and her family use to make mafia jokes in front my mom...who was of Italian heritage....it only got worse from there...
In retrospect and as a more "mature" adult, I think I now view my mother in law as an immature/insecure woman. A little pathetic at times.
My son is engaged...I fully see his fiances attributes. I am delighted.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I see the same in my mother in law, Nomad. She has to "need" the kids because I truly think if she leaves it to them to "need" her, she thinks they won't. So she bugs them to the point of driving them all away. I think she has NO self esteem and thinks she has to buy their love.
And she HATES me. She tolerated husband's ex much better, but husband and the ex didn't get along from the start, so husband spent a lot of time at mother in law's farm to stay away from the ex. He rarely goes to the farm now unless he has something to work on, which means he's not sitting in her house every night after work.
They just got back from 2 months at the lake. father in law's birthday took place while they were there, so, we packed up one evening and drove to the lake to go to dinner with him (3hour drive each way - left a camping trip with friends to go - thankfully friends kept wee difficult child at camp). Got there a couple hours early to visit with them only to find out THEN that it was a suprise dinner, so we spent the time til dinner sitting at some people's house that we don't know, "hiding" from father in law. After dinner, mother in law came up to me and said "Where's easy child 2?" It wasn't her weekend to be with us, and I said "we don't have her". That is ALL she said to me the entire time. Not even so much as hi, by, thanks for coming, where's difficult child, how are you....nothing. Where's her granddaughter? All she cared about.
When they got home last night, they drove by our house, cause that's what they do, just to "see" what's going on. They don't stop in, they just drive by to look at things. Later in the night, she called husband. Asked when we'd have easy child 2 again, if she was going to summer school, why he didn't have her now, etc etc etc...then asked why my mom's car and camper are at our house, asked when he was going to cut their hay, and that's that.
I've been helping him take care of their farm for 2 months, during which time I had surgery, wasn't even an "is your wife still alive" thrown in there.
When my dad died, she showed up at mom and dad's house for 4 days - slept in a hotel, but spent every waking moment watching us from the next room in my mom and dad's house or at the funeral home when the "family" was supposed to be putting together the funeral, etc. She maybe met my dad 10 times in the past 15 years. She darn sure didn't know any of my family, yet there she was, sitting in the next room, watching everything. And every time we went to visit my mom after that, she'd ask if we were getting ready for the sale. I think the packrat sat there and inventoried my mom's house (they have a lot of antiques) and wants her stuff. Its been over a year, and she she still asks when we go up if we're going to get ready for a sale. My mom's not selling...Grrr...greedy hag.
I try not to hate people, but she makes it very difficult.

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up

WOW that's how i feel about my mother in law in a nutshell, all I ever tried to do was to gain her approval, how much energy i wasted, and for what?

trinityroyal

WOW that's how i feel about my mother in law in a nutshell, all I ever tried to do was to gain her approval, how much energy i wasted, and for what?

Funny...that's how I feel about my MOTHER. My mother in law is quite delightful.

Sorry your mother in law is such a hag Shari. I like your idea of just leaving the book out on the coffee table...