Heading to court Thursday

katya02

Solace
It looks like this court date will actually happen, so I have to drive 4 hours tomorrow to get difficult child back to his college town for the evidence suppression hearing. It's scheduled for bright and early Thurs. morning so we have to get a hotel room. :( And today I heard from the atty that things won't be resolved on Thurs after all, in spite of it being called an omnibus hearing; apparently the judge doesn't have to, and doesn't usually, give a decision the same day so the attys continue to prepare for trial. So we have to go back for pretrial conferences in ten days and get another hotel room, because it's at 9 am! I just LOVE driving through the mountains repeatedly in winter weather. Bleargh.

The bottom line is, it sounds more complicated and like it could drag on longer than I'd ever anticipated. I thought we'd be done, one way or the other, at the omnibus hearing. I'm not too optimistic that the judge will rule in difficult child's favor so it looks like the long haul. I'm a total babe in the woods with court stuff, but I guess I have some experience coming up. :\

On a brighter note, difficult child has held a job for three+ weeks now, and he got called today for another job (which he likes the sound of better)! He's also had a stable, cheerful mood for several days and that's so nice. I just hope he brings the same mood on the trip tomorrow. He's not a happy traveler, usually.

Andy

I pray for good weather, dry roads, and a calm journey.

Congrats to difficult child for holding down that job. I also hope his mood carries through to court. That would be so helpful!

Good Luck!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Katya, one thing I can promise you- any time the courts are involved, it will take a ridiculously long time for resolution- of anything.

I hope the weather isn't as bad as anticipated and that difficult child's attitude holds up.

Suz

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Hope the traveling goes ok. Winter travelling can always be scary. Hope court doesn't go too bad. Will think some positive thoughts your way.

beth

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Yeah, in dealing with courts, it is usually so long and drawn out you almost forget what the accusation is about......... thinking of you today as you travel...... nerves will be on edge so hoping the weather doesn't add to the frustrations........

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'm hoping that maybe you'll be surprised and the judge will think this through and just say - GAME OVER - tired of dealing with this.....

(that's my wish)

Keeping you in my thoughts and whispering in the judges ear.....

Hugs
Star

katya02

Solace
Thank you so much, everybody, for your thoughts and good wishes. And guess what - I WAS surprised! The DA put pwov (probation without verdict) back on the table totally unexpectedly. He may have felt a little shaky with his side of the case, I suppose, but after speaking with difficult child's atty I was NOT confident that the judge would rule to suppress the evidence; in fact I was convinced to the contrary. I'm very ticked with the atty for ignoring careful notes I gave him right at the start, where the core of the DA's position was already stated!! I thought the guy was going to pursue a different line where I think there WAS vulnerability in the Commonwealth's case, but he didn't. Instead he was talking Appeal - in other words $$$$. But I figured, if he couldn't pull it together the first time I'm certainly not paying for another try.

The bottom line was, difficult child went pwov and has probation for six months (I thought he'd get a year) with some community service etc. and usual general terms, and then as long as he keeps his nose clean (literally, ha) it's all dismissed. He gets another chance. (The atty wants to file to expunge difficult child's underage convictions when he turns 21, but difficult child can save up for that. It's a good idea but difficult child should pay for it.) The really good thing, in my opinion, was that difficult child had to stand up in front of the judge and court and admit that, yes, he had these things on a certain date and was responsible for that. The judge gave him a talking-to but was also encouraging and told him he shouldn't be seeing him again. I'm very glad difficult child had to stand up and admit to the situation. That's something he's always skated around, with any situation - never clearly taking personal responsibility. So I'm very satisfied and now it's all up to difficult child to lead his life in whatever way he chooses. He'll be home for the six months - at least, he has to get approval to move - but any of the weird stuff he was doing in the summer will be violation of his probation.

Oh, and the weather stayed good until after we got home this pm, so all your good thoughts worked! Thank you again! :)

susiestar

Roll With It
I am glad things went well. I hope you can have a peaceful 6 months with him at home. I also hope he learns his lesson and doesn't do anything to end up in court again.