help I'm in the chocolate mode again

rejectedmom

Whenever I get sad I crave chocolate. difficult child got kicked out of his program and may be sent back to prison as a result. Yesterday my dear friend's daughter called to tellme that her mother's chemo therapy isn't working and that the cancer has spread very aggressively and the doctor says she has only two weeks to two months left. I had just gotten over the death (also from cancer) of my most favorite cousin who was like a big sister to me when I was growing up. She died the end of January. So while I haven't gained any weight since my cousin's death I haven't lost any either. With all the new sad events I started binging the day befor e yesterday on anything chocolate. I know it is the endorphins in it I am after and I know that exercise will help with that but even after going out and shoveling the walk I was craving the chocolate so I baked some cookies. I try not to bring it intothe house but my son is a big chocolate lover and he always brings it in even when I beg him not to. He knows I like it and he doesn't get that he is not doing me a favor buying it for me. He is an adult Aspie. I would just throw it out but he buys for himself too. Alot of what he buys has to be refrigerated like his pudding cups and cookie dough so whenever I open the fridge for an apple or carrot I see the chocolate and grab that instead. I do alot better when I'm not so sad. -Kate

Star*

call 911........call 911
I am so sorry you have so much on your plate right now.

Sending you huge non-chocolate hugs - (although I posted about the Vday candy being 75% off and snapping up the Dove Chocolate squares)

I too crave chocolate when I'm depressed -

(((((((((((((BIG HUGS))))))))))))))))))

Star

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
The problem with chocolate is that it is effective!

I do not like chocolate except in Chocolate mint chip type iced creams. I certainly don't like it in candy of any kind.

I also get severe PMS. My sister, who is a chocoholic, talked me into trying an experiment: she had me eat 4 squares of a Hershey's dark chocolate bar...

Sure as heck, about an hour later I was feeling much better.

So now, while I have no desire to eat chocolate, let alone pig out on it when I have PMS (I have PMS, Perimenopause, and I'm both on the spectrum and bipolar...do NOT fool around with this woman, LoL).

I will buy a bar of chocolate to get through the week before "it" shows up...which is when it feels like it, these days

rejectedmom

Thanks for the hugs Star,

Going North. I envy you really not craving the stuff. But you are right, it does work. I tried to meditate to make the cravings go away this morning but while I did feel better afterwards I still want the cocoa bean lift. -Kate

trinityroyal

Kate, I'm so sorry that you are going through so much sadness and pain right now. {{{hugs}}}

With regard to chocolate, I did some research into why chocolate is so effective at chasing away the blues.Chocolate provides us with serotonin, which is the neurotransmitter responsible for counteracting depression etc. In effect, chocolate helps us the same way that SSRI medications such as prozac or paxil do. Apparently, carbohydrates also elevate our levels of serotonin.

So...it makes complete sense that when you're feeling sad or depressed, that you crave chocolate and carbs. It's biochemical and it works.

Exercise and exposure to natural daylight also seem to help with serotonin levels, so that might provide a substitute.

http://depression.about.com/cs/brainchem101/a/brainchemistry.htm

Trinity

N

Nomad

I haven't clicked on that link yet...but you can bet I will (thanks). Yep, chocolate sure does help me when I'm stressee or depressed. Like someone else said...exericse and sunlight help as well. I think the B vitamins are helping me a lot. I do all of these things. For a long time, I was just making sure that I didn't have more than 100 calories of chocolate a day. Those 100 calorie packet things are good for that. I like the 100 calorie m & m's. I don't care that much re: the cost. It's the packaging that is worth oodles to me. However, I like m & m's too much...so I don't buy that too often for fear that I will eat more than one packet. I like the new WW peanut butter bars very much...one point only. A friend told me that 3 Hershey Kisses (don't know the calorie count) helps her with "the blues," and is very reasonable in terms of calories. She just puts it in her head that three (3) is her limit. I have been thinking of trying that...it sounds like a good idea. One more thing...sometimes I chew gum instead of eating chocolate. It is a half way decent substitute.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
That's weird as I can't take SSRIs without flipping right into mania.

If I can get it, I buy the Hershey's dark chocolate bars. I really don't like milk chocolate: it's plain gross.

Otherwise I have a baggie of dark chocolate chips and a small half handful of those serves as a good "dose" amt for me.

I'd guess, if you crave chocolate, having a lb of chips on hand isnt' a good idea, though

rejectedmom

I will eat it if it is handy If it isn't I have to think twice about it and either convince husband to go get something or go myself. But now that my son has a job and still lives here he just brings it into the house and says its for everyone and there I go.

LittleDudesMom

Here's a substitute that I've been using. Now, I have never been a huge chocolate fan. Every now and then a snickers bar or some dark choc, but not something I truly, truly crave.

But, since starting WW, I keep a pretty crystal ginger jar on my family room table filled with tootsie roll pops!!!! They are only one point. The chocolate ones can particularly ease that craving. I like them because if you feel you need some choc, or something sweet, you start in on one and they last awhile and keep your mouth occuupied!

Sharon

N

Nomad

When I made goal (last time) on WW, I used the Tootsie Roll Pops! I ACTUALLY called the company to find out if they would make bags of just the chocolate ones! They said that sometimes they do this at Halloween time and only in certain markets. Every Halloween I look for them, but have not found them yet. Every once in awhile, I'll go somewhere, and they sell them invidividually in a tub...like in a big candy store. So, if you go to a candy store...look around for them to see if they sell them individually.

scent of cedar

Actually, it isn't the chocolate that is bad for us, but the fats and sugars we mix in to make it more palatable that are bad for us. Do you think it would work for you if you were to break up a bar of semi-sweet or baking chocolate and eat it with peanut butter? (Still alot of calories, I know ~but far less sugar and saturated fat.) Another thing I have done when I really wanted chocolate was to make No Bake Cookies. Really pretty good for us and yet, they will satisfy that chocolate craving.

Here you go, RM:

1 stick of real butter
2 cups of white sugar
4 heaping tablespoons of Hershey's chocolate powder~not the drink mix, the baking chocolate

Bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for two minutes. Quickly add the following and drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto waxed paper.

1/2 to 1 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 to 2 cups uncooked oatmeal

That's it. Rich and chocolaty but not so bad for us that we have to feel quilty about eating it.

Enjoy!

Barbara

F

flutterbee

I found this interesting:

http://psychcentral.com/lib/2006/does-chocolate-addiction-exist/

I feel your pain, Kate. I crave chocolate from the minute I wake up until I go to bed. Seriously. It's the first thing I think of in the morning. It has gotten much worse the last few weeks as my mood has taken a downward turn.

I'm out of any 'good' chocolate. I'm actually eating chocolate chips out of the bag as we speak. :bag: I need to get all chocolate out of the house and refuse to allow myself a trip to the store. I know that once I'm away from it for a few days, the cravings will die down.

This is also a helpful article (for me, anyway):

http://www.channel4.com/health/microsites/0-9/4health/food/ove_aba_chocolate.html

Yes I havea been into the chocolate too!!!! I believe it does help. I even put my big, hug chocolate kiss I got from a child at school in the freezer so I wouldnt eat it and got it out today and put it in the microwave and started eating it!!!! I cant believe I did that - I was really trying to have self control but sometimes it just feels good to eat it!!!

TerryJ2

So sorry, Kate.
I'm the worst one to ask. I'm hypoglycemic and really do crave chocolate. Especially M&Ms. When I'm sad I don't eat at all, though. Just when I'm stressed. There's a difference. You sound like your both right now.
Sometimes it helps me if I start a project and only allow myself a break every 45 min. At least that way, I'm breaking the gorging into intervals.
Going outside also helps. Anything away from the fridge.
Also, a diff kind of carb may help, like spaghetti.
Just some thoughts.

GinAndTonic

I've got the same problem. I've eaten chocolate every single day for a few decades. I'm not trying to lose weight, but I know it's bad for my teeth.

I'm not trying to give it up right now, but when I tried to quit before, I found it was helpful to instead have a banana and a cup of green tea for my post-lunch chocolate craving. It was sweet, it had potassium (as does chocolate), and a bit of caffeine.