How is your weather? Is everyone safe?

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I just got back from chipping out and moving my car. This in response to a text from property management asking car owners to move their cars to clean spots so that maintenance could finish plowing out the lot.

They had already plowed what of the lot they could. I am damned glad I have a 4WD as I was thoroughly plowed in. Had about 3 ft of snow behind my car. Even with 4WD, it took a bit of rocking to get out of my parking spot.

I am now parked considerably farther from my apartment

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
SWOT. Oddly, where you live is still in the Central WI weather pattern. Rhinelander, though only 90 miles North of you, is in a different weather pattern and gets much of the same weather as the UP and Canada.

They don't get much ice because it's usually too cold for it. To get freezing rain you need an atmospheric layer warm enough for either snow to melt, or for precipitation not to freeze at all, combined with surfaces cold enough for liquid water to freeze on contact.

We rarely got air warm enough for liquid water up North in the Winter, so no ice storms or sleet. What we did get, and what I despised, was ice fogs. Fog made up of ice crystals instead of water droplets. The ice crystals froze to whatever they touched and made for truly treacherous walking and driving.

I know you get those where you live as several years ago, I wound up in a ditch in Mosinee in an ice fog.

cubsgirl

In Chicago we had freezing rain/sleet/snow yesterday. It was miserable. The sidewalks were icy and treacherous. I made it to work okay but left early to get home before it got dark. My boss told me next time the weather is like this to just work from home. It was much better today.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Yes, cubsgirl. My mum lives in Chicago's Northern 'burbs (about 55 miles from me) and said it was horrid. She stood in yesterday during the storm, but did go out today.

She did have to chip her car out, but the lot at her apartment building had been properly cleared. She said the roads in her suburb had been heavily salted and that driving today wasn't bad at all.

From the sound of things, they got more sleet and ice, and less snow than we got, and didn't get the very high winds, "only" 40mph gusts to our 60 mph gusts, though Chicago, like Milwaukee, did close the roads that ran right along the shores of Lake Michigan due to 20' waves.

BusynMember

GN, funnily you said what you did. Hubby and I notice that we often get skipped over the really bad stuff. Thanks for explaining it to me. You explain things VERY well.

BusynMember

In Chicago we had freezing rain/sleet/snow yesterday. It was miserable. The sidewalks were icy and treacherous. I made it to work okay but left early to get home before it got dark. My boss told me next time the weather is like this to just work from home. It was much better today.
Oh, Cubsgirl, I heard how bad it was from Princess, the one who lives in the Chi-burbs. Ice is the worst. Really. I'm glad it is better. My daughter did not want to go out or risk the roads with my granddaughter in the car, so she was stuck inside. My father is 91 and lives in an apartment complex with no garage and he tried to scrape the ice off his car (he is amazing), but he couldn't. I felt so bad for him.

Hoping for a warm up and all this stuff to melt, both in Chicago and here!!!!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I feel for your father, SWOT. My mother is 83 and only 5' tall. She also has Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) and severe arthritis. She has an awful time cleaning off her car. To the point that I told her i was only an hour and a half away and to call me and I'd come down and clean her car for her, as opposed to her risking a fall or respiratory distress from cold air or over-exertion. Worst i have to deal with is my arms going numb from strain on my neck while scraping off the car.

Copabanana

I am out West. So far our weather has been about the same. Which is not good because after drought for so long, we need heavy rains. But then there will be flood risk, so I will be careful what I wish for.

Be safe everybody.

COPA

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
GoingNorth? Do you have these, too? I do too. My Mom, too. And she was only 5' too. You are a good daughter, GoingNorth. And a good person, too.
I think so, too.

COPA
COPA, I have pretty severe arthritis for my age (55), that due mostly to old injuries and a genetic defect that affects strength of cartilage. I do not yet have Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), but I was a 2 pack a day smoker for nearly 40 years until I switched to vaping a bit over a year ago.

While my breathing is much better than it was when I was smoking and my lungs are currently clear. Odds are very good that I will develop Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) as I age further due to my history as a smoker.

In fact, my mother quit smoking in her early 50s and developed Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) in her mid-70s.

Thanks for the compliments on my abilities as an "explainer". That comes from several years of writing technical documentation for "end users" who knew nothing about using the products the documentation was meant to tell them how to use.

In addition, I put in several years doing telephone technical support before getting into network support and management.

Copabanana

I do not yet have Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)))
Hi Going.

I was diagnosed a few months ago and now use an inhaler. I smoked about 7 years and quit when I was 28.

The doctor says that second-hand smoke is considered now to be just as much a risk factor as smoking oneself. From my infancy my parents smoked.

I am not too scared because my mother smoked for almost 50 years, quit when she got TB in her early 60's and lived until almost 89, in pretty good health.

I am going to bed now, but I will check in tomorrow.

How have you been?

COPA

witzend

It's rained for about 5 days here and everyone is ready to slash their wrists. Granted, it's rained HARD, but still - it's 70 degrees and it was sunny part of the time. People need to get a grip!