How many times have you moved?

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
So let's try this one? I'm moving from SC to NY this Friday. It will make the eighth time I've moved since I had difficult child and the 29th move I've made since I left the psycho ward I called a home at 17. Top that - I dare you!!!!!!!
They're going to have to bury me in the apartment we're moving to because I'm NEVER EVER moving again!!!! (and to top it off there's no washer/dryer hookup and I'll have to start going back to a laundromat!!!!):furious::furious::furious:

How many times have you moved??

Abbey

Spork Queen
Wow...29? I can't top that. The best I have is about 8. Keep in mind that I've nearly circled the country. Three times in the last two years has been a bit too much for me. We have to move again in June. Have NO idea where we are going.

Abbey

mom_in_training

Yikes!!!!!! You will be moving closer to Ilovemyson. Way toooo much moving. I hope you finally settle. Wow, That would be very hard on me having to relocate so much. Geeze I probably did move about the same amount of times when I was growing up though. My Mom moved allot. I am very fortunate to be in the same house for 15 years now. My difficult child has been basically raised here (Moved in when she was four). Man, I feel soooooo fortunate.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
OH you asked that question. I think it is 21. I am trying to think back to see if I missed any. I don't think I did. All of those have been since I had easy child. And I have been in this house for five years. So those 21 moves were in 12 years. Poor easy child went to went to 8 elementary schools and I homeschooled some of that time. Not something I enjoy but I got very good at it. I can pack a whole house in about a day and a half and if I have the help can use the rest of that second day to pack a Uhaul. Of course I am out of practice but I think once you have that skill it doesn't go away.

Beth

Star*

call 911........call 911
From Birth to now? Moved in with Mom and dad - lived in the same place from birth to 16. Then my own place, GOT married, moved 44 times with him in 13 years, to 2 temp houses with difficult child, bought this one for us - so 47 - I never realized until I looked in my Moms address book for me - she had taped paper over all the addresses over the years.....un real

(Formerly married to an addict - we didn't stay anywhere long)

Where are you in SC?

everywoman

Okay--
from 0-8 --ten times (that says a lot about my bioparents)
from 8-18---none---lived with my grandparents
18-24---9 married to my first h (that says a lot about my ex)
24-now---1

I have had periods of instability and total stability---guess which is better for me.
husband and I are going this weekend to the mountains of NC. We are considering a move up there this summer. We have lived in the same house since we married. My children were are raised here. But...I'm kind of excited. If we make this move, it will be our last. I don't forsee any other reason we would move.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I think we're hovering somewhere in the 20's, but that's during 25 yrs of marriage and most of that was apartment living. (omg the wasted money!)

I detest moving, although I can usually manage to move in a single day and have everything unpacked and into place.

I'm grateful we now own our own home. I don't see moving in my future but who knows. Weird though, we've been here 5 yrs now and I find I'm feeling an itch. lol ugh

I can't say I blame you on the never wanting to move again.

Hope it goes well.

Hugs

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Guess I am the odd duck cause only 4 times since 68, and have been in my one and only house since 85. Am definately not a transitory person. Am toying with the idea of moving, but can't decide where I want to move to - it was much more fun just moving on impulse when I was young- now the idea just stresses me out LOL

I used to like apartment living when I was by myself but now I think it would make me crazy, same as living in a condo, or a trailer (SO's idea of retirement is us traveling state to state in a trailer) Don't think so. I love a lot of space to meander around in, and I surely don't want to live in something that able to move around. It would take about all of 15 minutes for cabin fever to set in.

Marcie

mstang67chic

Going Green
Just off the top of my head I think I've moved about 20 times. The last time was 12 years ago and it was from directly across the street. Easiest move I've ever done! LOL I didn't pack a thing. I hung the clothes on the shower curtain rod and just put the dishes and glasses in something to make it easier to carry. As much as I'm looking forward to getting a bigger house (this is our "starter" home that we've been in for 12 looooooooong years), I'm going to hate the move!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Wow, Marcie, you and I are ODD. lol I've moved, counting college dorms and back home, 9 times my entire life.

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
hmmmm 3 x's in my childhood

then 8 more times, 5 of which were leaving and returning to S2BX, sigh.......................:sad-very:

a total of 11 so far

KTMom91

From birth to age 18 - 7 times

From age 18 to 33 - 12 times

Bought a house 12 years ago and don't plan to leave it till they carry me out feet first.

trinityroyal

From birth to 17--2 times
From 17 to present-22 times.

If everything goes as planned, this is the last house. At this point, I'd rather gut and renovate than move ever again.

Trinity

busywend

Birth to 18 = 5 times
18 - now = 5 times

I am sorry to hear you have had to uproot so many times. I do think there is something positive about staying where you live for a good amount of time. However, I also believe there is positive in changing things now and then. Your amount of moving does feel excessive. I am sure it is stressful and tiring. HUGS!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Including college with a different dorm or apartment each year I have moved 10 times (once was due to a fire withing our apartment building). We have been in our current home 13 years.

I do hope to move some day even though I hate moving. I wished we lived on the west side of town where it seems we live our lives -the kids go to school there, we teach there, all of the doctors are there. At least the health club is by us.

Also right now our plans when we retire (not any time in the near future) is to move to Ann Arbor so we can enjoy more Michigan sports!

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
At least now I know it's not just me!

Star - I'm in Myrtle Beach, I've been here for almost 3 years, spent the last 20 in Western Massachusetts, and left Long Island originally at age 17. I'm definitely going to miss the winter weather here.

difficult child is not getting what she needs in school here and my understanding is that Long Island will provide the services she so desperately needs. Let's keep our fingers crossed!!!

At least I only have to drive my car up with difficult child, my boyfriend has to drive a 16' trailer and have his car in tow on top of it.:faint: Big trucks are not my thing!
-Dara

K

Kjs

Three. Moved out of my parents house when I was pregnant with easy child. Moved to Southeast Wi, when my job moved. Moved a few blocks from our apartment to our house.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Daralex -

SC is ranked 50th in the US for schools - you are not just whistling Dixie that she isn't getting what she needs. I wish I had been able to move sooner. I also wish I had known you were so close - I would have met you at the aquarium. Or the cat store at the strip - I love that store....

Best of luck on your move - I wish I could say I wasn't envious of your move - but I'll be right behind you.

We literally moved lock stock and barrel 44 times in 13 years. When I lived with my parents - I lived there my whole life until I got my own place and then moved from there when I got married. After I left x - Dude and I moved 3 times in about 3 years - and then I finally bought a house and haven't moved until I sell it and head North. So I think 50 will be the magic number for us. Then I'm done - lol. Years ago I could pack a house in about 3 hours- now it is taking 3 years. lol.

tiredmommy

I think I missed a few, but here's my guess:

0 to 18: 7
18 to 30: 10 (a lot had to do with work relocation)
30 to now: 1