I am Positive, I am Positive, I am Positive?

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Am I Positive? Um Yes I am Positive...

Oh grief, so we have a 2 hour drive to go see psychiatrist... with K who is crying... upset. We have tried every angle to get her to these apt's... Not telling her, telling her. Bribing her... begging her... coddling her... nothing helps. Movies, snacks, toys all of it...

It is is near zero-wind chill and icy roads... sounds like fun. We will be driving home in the dark, sounds like fun...
I am positive, I am positive... I will not argue with the psychiatrist...
The one thing I do know is I am not putting her on any new medications... we are just going through the motions with this guy until we can get into the psychiatrist in Tucson... and go from there... Medwash per therapist and pediatrician... and then new psychiatrist... start all over again!!! YEAH!!! Maybe even NO medications for awhile... to see how she has changed... while going to new psychiatrist...

Letting new psychiatrist get to know her....

I am positive....

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Travel television with headsets, new coloring books & crayons have always been a hit with kt at that age on trips. A juicebox with her favorite snack to get her in the door & one for on the way home.

I've used benedryl (sp) for long trips after I found out how they affected kt - puts her right out & makes the driving much safer.

Good luck.

TerryJ2

Good luck to you, Totoro. I'm so sorry about the icy roads and stress. I like the idea of headsets and CDs ... any bribe will do.
I think I can I think I can I think I can ...

Star*

call 911........call 911
I had a bag - a canvas tote that I shopped through the week and put dollar type junk in - for a "if you will go" trip - when difficult child was younger.

As far as seeing what she is like off medications - watch this - because a LOT of medications or combos of medications take quite a while to filter out of a little system.

Find out what the life of her medications are and exactly HOW long each one or combos of take to get out of her system.

Sorry for the tears and frozen highway =

Hugs

Steely

So, how did it go? Everything OK?
Thinking about you!!!! And K!!!! But especially you driving in those conditions!
How much more ready can you be for Arizona??>> :smile:

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
We are home... Long day...
Actually psychiatrist was pretty good for the first time!!! WOW just when I am ready to kick him to the curb... he must of been sensing my vibe.
K hid under the table for a short time...
He actually had a good point about her anxiety, we were talking about how it is hard to tell when it is "real" or exaggerated... when she is saying "I'm scared" as a default statement?
She has the quiver in her voice and the shakiness at times that we can really see... the tell tail signs of anxiety... the labored breathing. But other times she is anxious and it is real but she is not so symptomatic... and other times she is using it as a default statement...

He said kids with her issues and her level if intelligence at times will become so used to using this default that they blur the lines and they can longer tell which is which and honestly loose track of reality... so in essence the anxiety becomes real for all issues to the child!

He said the problem can become huge as they become older because it is so much harder to help them with... the anxiety becomes so severe and life altering.

While they are young you can still change the way they deal with these things... he suggest we push her as much as possible... in essence force her to deal with reality, so she does not develop phobias... severe anxieties.

As someone with Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), I agree with this, if someone would have worked with me as a young child in a loving way in a safe environment, I might be less anxious...

So we will continue forward... with the plan. We are going to cal Tucson this week.
We are titrating Topamax up to 200mg... if nothing that is when we will consider the medwash... we will do the medwash the same as we went up, I have already looked up and talked to psychiatrist about titrating back off. He would not be involved, but I asked him how long if we did want to???

We have not decided if we are telling him or not yet... for obvious reasons... new psychiatrist and he does not understand why we would do a medwash? therapist and pediatrician think it is a good idea... as do we.

This is all up in the air still, just sort os rambling...

Anyway, K is up to 150mg Topamax... 200mg Lamictal

He wanted to add an AP I said NO...

anyway sorry I rambled.... long day...

Glad you made it, and glad you made some headway.

That poor kid.

You could still change your mind and move to Chicago. Tuscon is too hot.