I feel like i am just worn out and beat down

Nikki88

I haven't posted in awhile, things with difficult child are really good at home. But school is another story, it seems like nothing we are doing is right. She is still refusing to do her work, and we are still waiting on them to come in and start testing. They are saying about another 3 weeks. Yesterday I was told that that right now with how things are going my 7 year old has a 50% chance of being a drop out- really- I about lost it at that point. WTH is wrong with people that you would basically give up on a 7 year old. This was someone at the county office, not even at her school.
I feel like I am totally helpless, my daughter is miserable at school and there is not a thing that we can do.
Sorry I really needed to vent.

buddy

OH good grief....I heard a similar thing, when Q was in first grade a teacher said (as I was asking when she worked on teaching him to read)...what good is teaching a child to read when they are going to be in prison anyway?? HUH???? (first, he is MR, Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), ABI, so really? second, I always heard illiteracy was associated with increases in incarceration...so wouldn't you want to teach these kids who are already high risk for behaviors to read????, this was a level IV specialized EBD program that they said was for neurobiological disorders inc. Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) but it was NOT)

People are so ignorant.

Ignore the turd. The county person is a jerk. Just ignore. That is someone who is totally clueless which is scary because is it the county that contracts to do the testing???? If so they should know better. What is the time line for initial assessments in your state??? I hope you are not in one of those 90 day states??? Find out, because from teh time you signed the permission they have to be done and have had the meeting to decide if she qualifies. In MN they would be out of compliance by now. So frustrating. I am upset on your behalf, hope you dont mind...

Hang in there your difficult child is very very young. There is much that can be done ONCE they get this initial stuff out of the way...(forgot did you have private assessment too?? if not can you???)

Sending support and hugs!

keista

(((((((HUGS)))))) I'm so sorry you had to deal with a moron on the staff. It why we wear armor. You can always send this person the graduation announcement when the time comes!

B

Bunny

Holy cow!! How can someone say that about a 7 year old?? That was a cruel thing to say. Someone like that should not be dealing with kids at all!! I'm not familiar with her. What does her teacher say? Do not let this person get to you. Keep on the track that your on and insist that the testing be done. If you can get a logical answer it can go a long way to help her.

TerryJ2

I could have written your subject heading. I know how you feel.

Was it a teacher who said that about your difficult child?
I had a friend say that ... repeatedly. We don't see one another much any more. ;)

Hope2

bluemoon
Does your school system have virtual school......cold she stay home for awhile and do something like that??? My one grandson who is a very good student ..started not doing work..not even signing papers he did do..and then handing them in and getting O because it wasn't signed.have done testing and he is having problems processing..he is in the 99% in math but when they time him it goes to 10%...now have learned that if he can't do everything just perfect he just doesn't do it....he won't even try if he is not sure..could that be something she is dealing with..constantly having teachers tell her she isn't doing it right and now is giving up??? my heart goes out to you and your little one...hang in there...there will be a solution..so glad the medications are helping a home....

BusynMember

Anyone who predicts a 7 year old will drop out of school needs a new job. What a dumb thing to say, and I don't care how badly your child is struggling now. That's horrible.

aeroeng

Mom of Three
When I was in third grade my teacher told my mom that I would be lucky if I ever made it to a third grade level of knowledge. I now have a BS in aerospace engineering, and a MS in technology management. - I think she was WRONG.

buddy

When I was in third grade my teacher told my mom that I would be lucky if I ever made it to a third grade level of knowledge. I now have a BS in aerospace engineering, and a MS in technology management. - I think she was WRONG.

WOO HOO!! it is insane to try to predict what a person's future will be when they are so little....you showed them!!!

Wiped Out

Staff member
I agree with MWM-what a horrible thing to say! Ignore even though it is hard. Your difficult child is so young. It hurts to hear that people would be so idiotic to say such a thing. ((((hugs))))