I feel such a failure. Can we please talk?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Esther there is no need to go to a corner. You did what you felt is right. Nothing wrong with that. I always like to read your input on things.

Like Janet said......we're like a huge enormous family. And family's scuffle from time to time.

(((hugs)))

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Kein kerfuffle! I've been trying to figure out how to say "please don't feel hurt" in Yiddish...

You sound like such a nice, compassionate person, a real mensch (does that word apply to women or is there another one?). You have the courage to speak your truth.

I get scared when there are bad feelings on the board, it reminds me of my childhood fears when my family of origin fought.

For my edification: are nouns capitalized in Yiddish the way they are in German?

Steely

Esther..........
I have responded before about feeling like we were bashing Stands. However, it just dawned on me today why we feel increasingly agitated over the requests for help - it is because we rarely see her respond to any of us when we need help.
in my opinion, this board is about giving - and then some taking. In my mind there is a ratio - I would not dream of single handedly posting over and over about my problems, if I did not respond to others.
Truly that is friendship. And even though we are cyber pals - we are still friends. And friends cannot function in a healthy way without give and take.

I just responded to Stands about my little revelation.

Perhaps you would feel the true spirit of the board and our soul - and we would see who you really are and your true spirit and soul - if you responded to others more often.

Although I can empathize with her - and I agree with you we need to be loving and a soft place to land - we also have to understand that we are not just a dumping ground. We have to have some reciprocity in order to know who she truly is, and for us to know who she truly is.

And by the way Witz..........
I have missed you.........
And Esther don't stop posting!!!!

Estherfromjerusalem

Well, thank you, Three Shadows -- I don't think I know you, so "welcome."

Mensch means human being, so applies to women equally.

As for capitalizing nouns in Yiddish -- I don't know. To be honest, my parents were from Germany (got to England in 1939, just in time), and Yiddish was not spoken in our home, nor German. Only English. I didn't even know "kerfuffle" was a Yiddish word!

Love, Esther

Estherfromjerusalem

Steely, I just saw what you posted.

I think you are 100 percent correct -- that Stands should put in some input to other people. What an insight! Yes, that is probably one of the main reasons people feel that sense of "anti."

Thank you for what you wrote.

Of course I won't stop posting. At this stage in my life, I can't imagine being without the board. I do appreciate your input.

Love, Esther

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
You're right! It's Scottish:
Main Entry:ker·fuf·fle
Function:noun Etymology:alteration of carfuffle, from Scots car- (probably from Scottish Gaelic cearr wrong, awkward) + fuffle to become disheveledDate:1946 chiefly British : disturbance , fuss

I feel such a fool. I'm usually pretty good at figuring words out ( 6 years of Latin, One of Classical Greek, lived in Europe ).

Well, it should be a yiddish word! So many great English words come from the Yiddish.

BusynMember

I really have to stand up for Stands (hi, Stands...waving) in not giving input in other threads. First of all, sometimes she does. Secondly, when you're in a bad place yourself, sometimes you just don't feel like you have anything worthwhile to say. I've held back myself during some dark days because I figured that anything I said would be jaded by my own dark mood and lack of handle on my own life.
That doesn't bother me at all. I feel that we give what we can--some of us are old hat and have more to offer because the worst of our bad times are over. Those still going through the absolute worst--I totally understand when they don't pitch in with suggestions. Sometimes you think, "I can't even handle my own problem...how can I give any advice to anyone else..."
JMO. I meant this kindly. Peace! :peaceful:

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
I hate confrontation and do almost anything to avoid it...... sometimes in my posts I think I am being straight forward, but my written word loses the meaning of my thoughts. I have not replied to Stands lately because her "plight" reminds me of my own..... it's just too painful, sorry Stands. I do understand her wanting to help her son, but knowing what the likely outcome will be...... I have basically stopped reading the general thread because I have little insight into those situations...... That being said, I do enjoy reading the watercooler and Parent Emeritus because these are the posters I have most in common with...... I try to give advice when I have had an experience that might add or give insight to the situation..... otherwise I generally do not reply.... I know I have probably ticked off some people here, but that was never my intention and that is usually how I take any posts that I read here. I do take Fran's advice.....take what you need and leave the rest......

As far as addictions mine is chocolate...... I have been trying to lose 20 pounds and I am exercising at least 30 minutes a day, but sometimes I just have to get a chocolate bar. Yep, in my head I know it's not healthy, but I do it anyway.....

DazedandConfused

Esther, I love it when you post.

The smoking analogy was an excellent one. Being a former smoker, I get what your saying and it took me YEARS to get to the point of quitting. Though, I understand Witz's point also.

I simply don't have the energy to be annoyed with anyone on this board. My difficult child's do that in spades.

I am trying to post and say great things! Sometimes I feel so lost myself that I cant even imagine giving any advice that is worth anything to someone else because I cant even figure my own situation out! But I will try.

Sometimes, when I don't feel as though I have anything of substance to offer, (now, for example), I post a little note offering hugs and prayers. Just to let the person know that I am in their corner.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Stands

I'm glad you're beginning to respond to post. Honestly, Steely's insight was quite good. By responding to other's posts gives us more opportunity to get to know you better.....apart to some degree from your own situation......you as a person, if you know what I mean?

You don't have to be wise, or insightful, or brilliant to respond to a post. (or else I'd be outta luck lol ;) ) Often when I don't know what to say or don't have experience to draw from I'll just offer a hug or to say a prayer. It's a way I can let the poster know that I "listened" to what they said and that I care even if I can't offer any insight or advice.

Hugs

witzend

I am trying to post and say great things! Sometimes I feel so lost myself that I cant even imagine giving any advice that is worth anything to someone else because I cant even figure my own situation out! But I will try.

You know, Susan, it really doesn't matter what you say. You actually have an opinion of your own, and it does matter. Like Fran said, (paraphrasing) "take what you need, and leave the rest". No one has to listen to a word you say. But you never know who you might help. I hope you will stick to you word and give your opinion or advice (sans how it applies to or reminds you of your difficult child) to someone. It would be different for you and for us.

FWIW, no one has to listen to a word I or anyone else says, either. But I get to say it, and I hope it helps someone. If it doesn't work for you that's good too.