I hate curly hair!

trinityroyal

Step, I wish not doing my hair was an option. Left to its own devices my hair goes full Beethoven. Or Einstein. Or Buckwheat from the Little Rascals. Or some combination thereof. Without my detangling comb, paddle brush, oily goop and heat-styling torture devices, I am Not Fit For Human Consumption (tm).

MWM, I'm multi-racial, and I seem to have inherited 3 or 4 different curl patterns all within the same head. When I used to go to hair dressers to have my hair chemically straightened, I used to giggle at their surprise when the result would be not straight hair, but a different sort of curl pattern from the one I started out with. I know how to work with my hair, but it is work. And short hair is MUCH harder than long, contrary to popular belief.

everywoman

When I die and go to heaven, I just know I'm going to have long, stick straight hair. There are days I love my curls, but I would love to wear it straight sometime. My hair will NOT straighten.

SuZir

I think I just decided I will not be envious of curly hair. It sounds so much work. Mine is your typical Scandinavian blond. Extremely fine and thin, very straight, even the perm will not really stick. And if you make curls yourself in any method, they may look nice after lots of work. But if you even consider going outside or kitchen with something boiling or in fact moving, you can be sure next time you look the mirror, you have straight hair again. No use to even tye it, because in two weeks you look like you have bald spots (and if you try to dye roots often enough not to have that 'balding effect' you can be sure your hair will get mad at you and turn to dirty tricks.)

So I have given up. My hair simply is more stubborn than I am even though it looks deceptively fragile. Good thing is, that when I don't bother it, it returns the favour. So I basically wash it (often at night and let it dry when I sleep), show brush somewhere to it's direction almost every day (or at least few times a week, I can't remember when I would have had a tangle that didn't involved either bubble gum or resin) and pin or tie it up or let it be. It can be little stubborn with tying and pins and is a quite an escape artist, but I can be cunning in that battle too. And play dirty and for example re-tie or -pin it middle of the day often.

Last edited:

LittleDudesMom

Trinity,

go to this link:
http://www.lignestbarth.com

easy child went there (St Barths) for a week in May with the family she works for. easy child picked me up the vanille west indies and the avocado oil (it is much cheaper at their store/spa because they had some stock without boxes). It is luxurious! I bought some of the face scub and it is incredible (and I have really sensative skin).

I believe their products are the only exports of the Island.

Sharon

DammitJanet

I had her hair done at a salon yesterday and had the lady teach me step by step. I think I know the most important feature I was doing wrong. She also showed me the little bit of nourishing product she put in her hair and this hairspray stuff that she put on to keep it from frizzing up the minute she hit rain or humidity. It must have worked because we had a downpour yesterday and her hair was fine.

trinityroyal

LDM, thanks for the link. They don't ship to Canada, sadly. I guess I'll have to find the time to go to St. Barth's myself and shop on site ;-)

I hate to say this, but it's from experience, go with the curls. Heat tools will damage her hair. I use oils at night, but I always use Wen, and in the morning, if I'm not taking a shower right away, I make a homemade spray of water and Wen and just spritz it on to make the bedhead look go away.......and I scrunch it, I can't ever brush it.......try that, it's easy and her hair will be gorgeous. The straightening is all heartache, I feel for her.

PlainJane

Every dog has his day....
ah the days of wanting straight hair... I have curly super thick hair. Its big ring curls but I HATED it well into my 20s. I would straighten it, nut it takes well over an hour because my hair is so thick. But the issue was I wasnt managing my curls right. Finally after many yers of live n learn and a stylist that gave me a cut the worked with my curls, I love them. Its wash, product on some days if I want to control them a bit, and go. I cant brush my hair though. Thats a no no with curls. I can wear it straight if I want to take the time but I prefer it curly.

Hopefully some day she will realize how pretty her hair is! But the key is getting to know you hair, what helps it and having a style that brings out the best in your hair. Thats true for all hair types, so I think a lot of women needlessly dislike their hair because they havent figured out the perfect recipe for their hair.