I just got a call

klmno

I rec'd a message yesterday from the therapist who's supposed to give my psychiatric evaluation- she was confirming the appointment made by mst guy. After I called and left another message for gal today, I got a call from mst guy again. He asked if I was going to get this psychiatric evaluation. Now, I don't think I'm so paranoid that I don't see this starting to add up. This was the third person today who intiated a conversation about this evaluation and I noticed that everyone in the county seemed to stop communicating with me about anything other than that. It seemed apparent that they are using the threat of custody being taken away if I don't do whatever they want- although NO ONE said that directly. From what others are saying, that seems too similar to be conincidence, they think that our household is so dysfunctional that it is coming out in difficult child's illegal actions and they think the dysfunction is a result of my and difficult child personal issues triggering each other. Now, this is where we disagree. I agree that things are dysfunctional and that difficult child and I sometimes have issues. But, I think they are totally ignoring the other stressors that are contributing to things. And I'm talking about things that far exceed what typical families have to deal with- for one, difficult child and I both feel like we are living with an ax hanging over our heads with no deadline for it or any end in site. We both have discussed the stress this causes us with our individual tdocs. difficult child didn't tell me this- his therapist did.

Anyway, I did actually discuss these things with the mst guy and relay that I'm already seeing a therapist so I didn't really see the point of having an evaluation done to determine if I needed to see one. We discussed who was sending what message to difficult child and I said I didn't know yet what I was going to do but it appeared to be a moot point to me if the gal wanted difficult child removed from home. My half-bro lives far away- it isn't a situation where he would go there temporarily while we work thru things until he came back home. He would never come back home, until he's 18 and could come on his own.

Anyway, the mst guy said that the dr had recommended the MMPI-2 test for me but since I was seeing a therapist already, if she would/could give it, then the judge would probably find that acceptable if I requested it ahead of time. He said no one knew that I was seeing a therapist already. I said they should have asked instead of assumed. He asked then what was my issue with taking the test. I said for one, the message it sends to difficult child given why we are in court. Second, I'm not so comfortable with one test leading to a treatment plan that will ultimately be court ordered. Thirdly, although I believe the judge has the best intentions and wants to make sure things are followed through with, what it leads to is a PO being in the middle of it all and me being in therapy thinking about every word I say potentially being said in a court room full of people instead of thinking about working through issues.

Also, difficult child and I both are having to deal with a lot of stress right now and while they all want to make sure our issues are being dealt with, adding more orders, that are really more demands, that lead to a bigger ax being held over our heads, is contributing a great deal to the problem. It seems like they keep adding more and more with no end in site- why can't they see that maybe that's WHY this isn't working out better-and they never once stop to think that maybe they are having something to do with everything in our lives deteriorating.

He said I had a lot to think about. LOL! I told him that at some point, I had to tell them "enough". And I might just have to tell the judge that while I respect her opinion and authority, I'm willing to take the consequences. Otherwise, it just leads to more and more and quite frankly, I have bigger things to worry about- like difficult child and where he's going to live. If they believe I'm the cause of the problem- this will never end any other way, test or no test.

Then, shortly afterwards, the person from sd called me back about who pays for education at Residential Treatment Center (RTC). She thinks it is the sd. That is perfect if it's true. She's going to call me tomorrow to confirm. She knows I'll need something in writing. If I get medicaid funding confirmed (it depends on type of medicaid and that couldn't change until difficult child was out of home 30 days- I need to confirm it can "change" without having to start process over)- and sd pays for education, then the ONLY thing the county team would have to do is look at the recommendation from psychiatrist and fill out a couple of forms. It would be a parental placement- but I'd need PO to request the meeting, apparently. I would think the GAL would push for this then, unless she's just determined to get difficult child out of the house instead of using that as a threat to manipulate me. So, what happens if I get the medicaid and education funding in place and only need paperwork from the county team- can I go to court, and in front of judge and gal, ask po to request a county team meeting to get this paperwork done? Is that antagonistic or will she have to say yes or no?

Anyway, earlier, psychiatrist wants to make some medication changes (adding seroquel for one :) ). I said I had a couple of concerns, I heard the county lady snicker- like I was going to be uncooperative. I asked that they make one change at a time so that any reaction could be easily nailed down to the exact medication and dosage, because difficult child had a history of being very reactive to medications. Also, I relayed my concern and "proceed with caution" on the antihistamine that they proposed as prn, due to difficult child's reactions to most allergy medications, albuterol, and steroids. County lady was quiet through that. psychiatrist said he didn't think this was hypomaina but difficult child was very irritable and was having trouble sleeping and had asked for medication changes. I agreed to the changes with the above notes. psychiatrist said right now, he's leading toward this being anxiety driven, given the circumstances, and because he wasn't seeing pressured speech and real hyperness. (Can someone take note here that this anxiety difficult child is exhibiting is due to instability left by court, which resulted from his own actions and more pressure, and that he is NOT in my presence or at our home.)

I think this is good that county lady could hear psychiatrist debating this (depression/anxiety or bipolar), and also the issue of medication changes and possiible side effects and difficult child's behavior/trouble sleeping. I wish the gal was in on these meetings and worry a little about a gal who's pulling the weight with the judge having to be begged almost to attend a county meeting and never participates or listens in on treatment team meetings, but calls in dss.

Last edited:

klmno

eeky- I have NO doubt that the point is to order treatment for me. Which adds one more thing for the PO to have her nose in.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I suspect the reason they keep asking you if you are going to get the evaluation done, is that you've already let them know you aren't comfortable with it. They're just following up.

I do wonder what you have to lose by getting the evaluation done, from your standpoint? Just the evaluation, mind you. Not thinking past that to any therapy/notes.

klmno

I'd rather break a court order for not getting an evaluation, when I can prove I'm already seeing a therapist, to open the door to explain why I am not comfortable with someone micro-managing my therapy, than to end up with some treatment plan ordered based on one standard test, with the PO in the middle of it and breaking that court order. And yes, it will lead to that if I don't let them know now. Too much stuff just keeps going around in the same circles-

These are Department of Juvenile Justice people- used to working with certain problems, like addiction, and CD. They want "measurable goals" and to see results where no issue ever returns. difficult child and I have mood disorder issues. It will never be cured. They don't get that. A lot of people don't get that. It comes and goes.

DDD

It's late and I've had a big Cutty so "maybe" I've misread your post but it sounds like when you spoke to the therapist today that he/she actually listened to what you were saying and replied that if you provided in writing that you are currently seeing a therapist that it would satisfy the Court. Did I miss a lick? Cause I smiled when I read that and thought waaahhooooooo somebody is using their noodle and hearing her! DDD

klmno

Close, DDD. The mst therapist said that if my therapist would give the same test as they were going to give, that I could request judge to accept that instead and she probably would. Now, He said the courts did not ask for any specific area to be evaluation'd on me, just that I receive a psychiatric test. So, the person from the mental health dept had planned on giving the MMPI-2. I googled that and it is a standard test for criminals and inmates to find out what their problem is. Mind you, the testor/therapist only rec'd a piece of paper (court order) saying to do a psychiatric evaluation on me from Department of Juvenile Justice as being a parent of a juvenile. So, they chose the standard- which is used for people who might be criminals or have criminal thoughts that could influence the kid. But, another search indicated that it also is a standard personality type test. In both explanations, it appears that it is impossible to walk away without there being some issue. For instance, it questions about social life to see if the person has difficulties socially. (I'm giving a very brief synopsis here). I'm sure I'd show a problem there because I'm introverted to begin with and am a single parent who doesn't go out and party. But based on this test, I would have a major social difficulty socially. Never mind that I'm nearly 50 and don't care.

I have no faith in it and as I told the mst guy, the point of the test is to see if I need to be in therapy, obviously. I'm already in therapy. If I submit something to show the judge that I'm already in therapy, what point would there be to take the test? How many of us would have our kid take one specific test and revolve the kid's entire treatment plan around it and cast his diagnosis in stone from it? I wouldn't. Especially when it is a test to find out what is wrong, not IF there's something wrong.

But again, it isn;'t the test as much as what that will lead to. When I'm trying to advocate for difficult child with sd and other county people, you can bet that they would love it if I was found to have a diagnosis so they could discredit every effort I made. Yes, it would happen. They want it to be me and difficult child getting what they order, instead of me being part of the treatment team, that has only the county people making decisions.

The mst guy said he felt sure that the court did not know that I was already seeing a therapist. I reiterated that they should have asked. )This is the same sort of BS that the gal started up 2 years ago.) He said the best way to deal with it would be to get the same test by my own therapist. (I already know that she doesn't do it, even though she has the psychiatric PhD credentials and insurance doesn't cover it). But, that isn't the only issue- it is what this leads to if I keep going right along without raising a flag.

How many warrior moms understand that their difficult child's sd would prefer that they also be court ordered with a diagnosis instead of considered part of the treatment team? How effective do you think you would be at the next IEP meeting? This is just an example. Another- they have sections on paranoia and whether or not a person respects authority. Now, given the current situation, if I honestly answer questions about having faith in authority figures, I doubt it's going to come out too well. So, instead of dealing with difficult child issues in counseling, I'll probably be ordered into some therapy for respecting people more. I do respect the judge. I just don't trust where all this is leading. If I'm paranoid, so be it. I think I have reason to be. But there is NOTHING accompanying this to assess the immediate situation that the person is going through. IOW, the mst guy said there would be nothing but this written test. So there is no way for a therapist to determine if the person feels that way because of a situation or if the person has had issues in that area forever. I have about as much faith in it as I do in giving a difficult child a conner's test and nothing else- no interview, no history, no other test, no observation, no background on current situation.

I expressed these concerns to mst guy as well. He said that a lot of people have an issue with taking this test for the same rreasons. By experience with him from the past though is that he is a Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde.

This is so bogus- if they want to give me one of these- shouldn't they also give one to the prospective "new" guardian?

Last edited:

DammitJanet

This test is also used for some employment issues. But K...You keep saying "if" they find out you have a diagnosis....I have a diagnosis...I had a diagnosis...it never discredited me in front of professionals in any of these areas...judicial, mental health or the school system. Maybe if I had been a raving lunatic it would have been different but I obviously wasnt and neither are you. If a diagnosis pops up for you, so be it. If you had cancer or pancreatitis would that keep you from doing all this? No.

klmno

Thanks, all! It's probably just me but I get the feeling that no one is getting what is bugging me about this. I'll take a break.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I wish I knew what to say to assuage your fears, klmno. I think all of us wish that. I can tell you've just been burned by the system and these incompetent fools so much, you have no faith in anything they tell you. So, even when they propose what many of us here see as "standard" tests and procedures, it must feel to you as though it's just one more thing they're trying to pin on you. But truly, not all of it is. I think that's where the disconnect is between what's bugging you , and what we're trying to help with. We're not trying to tell you you're wrong, just trying to calm your fears. I hope you understand that.

Have you taken any time for yourself yet, to regroup and not think about this for awhile? I really think that may help. It's about all I can keep suggesting at this point.

Hugs. We're all pulling for you.

DDD

OK. You are right that it is difficult for any of us to know "exactly" what you are feeling and fearing. That is the joy of being part of the CD family. Many of us are experiencing, fearing and feeling things that we just can't communicate because it's too complex and mostly because if you are not in the "same shoes" you can't track the walk. Personally I am not "in crisis" right now but it has not been very long ago that I was in the midst of an emotional knock down drag out with the system.

in my humble opinion the only "compromise" that I see for you that should not hurt your son NOR set you up for efforts by the PO to "out your issues" or "control your position" is this:

Compile your thoughts on this test request on a sheet of paper for YOUR use only. Entitle It "psychiatric Testing For Mom". List in order who mentioned it first as a possibility.....and later through to the concept of requirement. Use your notes. When did you first hear it? From whom? How phrased. Enumerate. If I recall, for example, you had three people in one day ask you about it. Write down Day #, received call from X asking when, two hours later received call from Y asking when, three hours later Z asked when or if?

Then get to the conversation two days ago when the tester asked you why you were hesitant. Write down date and time and body of the conversation without all your fears enumerated. Keep it simple. Tester "stated that he did not know that I had a therapist already" "stated that he did not believe others knews" "stated that the Court should be satisfied with therapist's ?? existence ?? overview ?? psychiatric testing ?? in lieu of his.

Your therapist can truthfully put in writing to the Court that Mrs. Q has sought out my professional expertise due to the combined stress of seeking help for her difficult child since 2006. Although she has actively sought help for difficult child and assured that he made all appointments for mental health assistance as well as requirements of the Probation Office, she has felt that the emphasis has shifted from providing mental health services for her son to micromanaging her life and parenting skills. Since Mrs. Q has never had dealings with the system prior to this crisis period, she has shared her concerns with me and I have assured her that she has been remarkable coping with the outside pressures while seeking the care that is in the "best interests of her child".

Then...the therapist could simply say "after extended contact with my patient I can assure the Court that there is no indication that she has abnormal psychological indicators". OR, if the therapist thinks it best, you could be given a basic psychiatric test that only reveals MAJOR issues so you can be ruled out as a potential mass murderer, sociopath etc. etc.

Don't you think it is possible to try this simplified way to meet the Court requrest?? Hugs. DDD

by the way, I am almost 100% sure that if your therapist does a test and it indicates "anything" that you would be uncomfortable with, you can say "forget it". You are the one in charge using a private resource and you can flush it at will...........then you won't feel victimized or in jeopardy. Think about it.

klmno

Thanks, DDD. I am thinking (or was anyway) or discussing something along those liines with my therapist today. She told me on the phone eaarlier this week that she does nopt do this type of testing- odd I thought, because she does neuropsychologist testing on kids. Also, she told me insurance would not cover it for court-ordered purposes and that it was very expensive. Anyway, I was thinking about asking for a letter from her. I have no problem conceding that I have issues and obviously willing to address them because I took the initiative to do so months ago, without a court order.

Other thoughts are listed in my new thread. :) Thank you! As you caan see though, my further thought and lack of communication from the people accusing me of being uncooperative have me adding things up differently right now.