I knew my dogs got jealous

mstang67chic

Going Green
I only read the first comment after that article but she's right. Any good pet owner could have told them that. What a waste of money! LOL They get jealous, their feelings get hurt, they get embarrassed, they get mad and they sometimes get even.

What else do these "scientists" want to know? LOL

Steely

I am with ya Becky........it was kinda like duh. You need scientific proof? Just be around them in a group for awhile, and you get it.
But then I also wondered, maybe I am superimposing my issues onto them?:tongue:
Maybe they are obliviously happy, and I am the one worried about their emotions?

One thing I do know is that although they are not oblivious they have a very short term memory for emotions. When my sister died, her dog acted up and weird for about 2 weeks, and then it was like it never happened. That also happened to my little dog when difficult child went away, he bayed and cried at the front door for about 2 weeks, and then adapted. Then again, maybe they don't have a short term memory, but maybe they are just better at coping than we humans are. Who knows.

klmno

Yep- I think you've got it, Steely!! Both on the jealousy issue and on the coping issue....we could all probably stand to learn a few things from our pets, though....ours seem to be happier than we are and I'm convinced that it isn't because they are ignorant!

donna723

Well, duh! They had to conduct a whole scientific study to figure this one out?

Mine not only understand the concept of fairness, they've learned to not mind having to take turns on certain things! The two Bostons are crated during the day and both are anxious to get out as soon as I get home. I've learned that I couldn't take them both out on leashes at the same time - I just CAN'T unless I want both shoulders dislocated and to be dragged down the porch steps. So they take turns on who gets out first. One week Ragan gets Mon-Wed-Fri and Katy gets Tues-Thurs. The next week we reverse. And I actually worry that I'm accidentally slighting one of them! When I come in the door I tell them whose turn it is and the other one waits patiently for their turn. If Katy gets out first and Ragan cries to get out, Katy will run in and sit in her crate, waiting for me to close the door, so her sister can have her turn! When it comes to other things though, it has to be even. If one gets a bite of something, the other two have to get the same. If they don't, their feelings are obviously hurt. Bostons have such rubbery little faces, you don't ever have to wonder what they're thinking. They can get just about every expression on their face that a person does!

I've noticed the 'two week' thing too! I don't think they really forget, they just adjust and get on with it. My first Boston, Rudy, was eleven when I got Ragan as a tiny puppy. Rudy died at thirteen when Ragan was two. For just about two weeks Ragan looked for Rudy everywhere, then she finally just stopped looking. They have a pretty good long-term memory too! My oldest one, Rudy, grew up with my kids. My daughter moved out of state and when she came here to visit the first time she hadn't seen Rudy in almost five years. Rudy knew who she was immediately and was overjoyed to see her. She jumped right in her lap and covered her with kisses.

When Copper was younger, she had a basset hound (that's how I came up with the nickname Copper, from Fox & the Hound). Anyways, one year we got this stuffed Pluto toy for a younger cousin. It barked and walked and stuff. Well we put it on the floor and the dog was SO jealous of this toy even being there! It was hilarious.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Our three dogs definitely have some jealousy stuff going on, especially now with easy child's puppy living home. Because she is soooo tiny (yorkie) and still being trained, we have to feed her separately and walk her separately. We have to feed her separately because our older dogs will stalk her and intimidate her while she eats. If we're walking, the older dogs will race to be in front and she gets trampled. So, of course, when I'm feeding her or taking her out the others look at me like I'm a traitor. They even give me the cold shoulder sometimes after a feeding or walk.

The puppy has this little tiny squeaky rubber chicken and my oldest dog loves to kill squeakers...so we have to keep it from her. Man, does it drive her nuts when the puppy is playing with this toy. And the puppy knows she's taunting the older dog. It's hysterical to watch the expressions on my older dog's face. And our other dog just watches in wonder...as if to say, "Are you going to let her get away with that?!" Hahaha.

I find myself overcompensating by lavishing the older ones with extra lovin' in the evenings while watching tv. It sounds ridiculous, but it's so true. Apparently, I need a hobby. I could have done that study for free.