I wasted 60 years of my life

Marguerite

Australia is perhaps a bit closer to its English roots. We get mince pies at Christmas time. These days they are made with fruit mince; rarely do we get any meat products in it. The pies are very small, more like a palm-sized tart (or smaller) and sprinkled with sugar. They are supposed to be a sweet pie.

The origin - cold weather, plus the need to preserve food for winter. People would chow down big time for Christmas and all the really nice things that had been put aside and preserved would come out. And yes, originally mince pies contained minced meat product (usually suet - the fat) mixed with sugared, dried, alcohol-ed fruit such as citrus peel, raisins, figs etc. The combination of sugar and alcohol preserved it, the fruit improved the taste. And the nutrition - you got carbs, fat (necessary in cold climates), protein vitamins and fibre.

As I said, these days most fruit mince contains no meat product.

But my mother-in-law's Christmas pudding recipe contains suet. I've helped make suet puddings. You NEED the suet to be there, it preserves the pudding. You grate the suet (freeze it first, it makes the job easier) and mix it with the dried fruit which has been soaking in alcohol. Mix in the flour and other ingredients. Every member of the family should stir the mix at this time. If you want to (and they're safely made of pure silver) you put in coins or pudding charms at tis point. You then wrap the whole mess up in a cloth and tie it firmly into a cloth-covered ball. Hang it to dry for a bit, then boil it. It should be boiled in a big enough pot (saucer on the bottom of the pot of water to stop the pudding from burning on the bottom) for a total of 6 hours. mother in law boils it for five hours, then hangs it up for a couple of months. That way the final boil-up only takes an hour (one more to go) and the pudding can then be served hot, with custard, brandy sauce, whatever. Or you pour over hot brandy and light it. Absolutely delicious - but totally insane, for a scorching summer Aussie Christmas!

The purpose of the suet - as the pudding boils, the tiny suet pieces evenly distributed will render down and form a sort of coating to shield the pudding and prevent it form going soggy. The excess fat leaches out and floats to the top, what remains is good. And remember, you add fat to a cake mix, or biscuit mix.

Some people squeamish about suet use butter instead. Trust me - it just doesn't work as well.

And if you make your pudding in about September and the thing goes mouldy while it's been hung in the laundry - don't throw it out. It's OK. The mould is only on the cloth (and you didn't use enough suet, did you?)

Just scrape it off before you boil it. When you remove the cloth, the pudding will be perfectly OK. It might have a small soggy patch though, if you were light-handed with the suet.

A good pudding will hold its shape once the cloth is removed and will taste fabulous.

husband likes to save about half the pudding in the freezer, he gets it out mid-winter for a treat.

It's also possible that he might stop by to add his own info on suet, mince and puddings - he's the dessert chef in our family.

As for bone marrow, gelatine etc - I make osso bucco using the proper cut, which requires the marrow in the bone to be mixed through. It really boosts the flavour and the texture of the dish, in a really good way.

If you're squeamish about that, then how can you ever eat crabs, prawns, oysters etc?

Although I do draw the line at brains. And brawn.

Marg

Abbey

Spork Queen
klmno, back in the olden days, mincemeat was actually minced meat. They took chunks of meat that had no other uses, diced them up, added fruits, and canned it. That knowledge is what keeps me away from mincemeat pies, since I can't be sure that there still aren't some unidentifiable meat scraps in there.

And more inconsequential trivia...headcheese was made by boiling the heads of the animals that had been slaughtered. The jelly-like substance comes out when you boil the bones, and the chunks of meat are what falls off the head. I don't eat this, either.

Mary...did you HAVE to give the details???:faint:

Abbey

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
UMMMM... Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie! That is husband's favorite dessert. We had 3 huge gardens of Strawberry and tons of Rhubarb in Idaho. I made the pie as much as possible... umm, warm with vanilla ice cream!
We made Strawberry-Rhubarb crisp, breads anything we could think of. I froze tons of it so I could make some in the middle of winter!

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
never have liked it never will so if one shows up here I will put out the call and whoever gets here first can have it. blechhh. Hated picking the darn stuff as a kid the stupid snakes used to crawl accross my feet. Icky.

beth

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
My dad has rhubarb growing in his yard like weeds; every year I bring a huge batch of it here & freeze it. I love making strawberry rhubarb pie, rhubarb kuchens, rhubarb sauce (which cleans your stainless steel pans beautifully).

As I'm the only one who truly appreciates a good rhubarb kuchen I can indulge to my hearts content ~ it's been a year, I'll have to teach kt & PCA to bake sometime this week.

Sara, I'm delighted you something new to enjoy. I'm off here to dig out old recipes.

muttmeister

I think it's funny what people will eat and what they won't. I'm sure it is all in our heads. Personally, I'll eat about anything that doesn't run away from me.

I make rhubarb pie, strawberry rhubarb pie, rhubarb raspberry pie, and rhubarb cream pie. I love them all. When I was growing up, in the spring my grandparents would give us all just a dish rhubarb stewed with sugar as a spring tonic. I still make that sometimes too.

And I have my great great grandmother's recipe for mincemeat which she brought with her from Germany. She used to can it but I make a big batch and freeze it and then I have mincemeat for pies for several years. Her recipe uses roast beef plus apples, raisins, candied fruit, currant jelly, and a bunch of other stuff that I don't remember right now. If anybody want's a recipe, let me know. It is delciious although I can't stand the stuff you buy in the stores without the meat. It is nasty.

And, yes, I still make suet pudding for Christmas. It was a tradition on my mother's side from my English grandmother and it is not Christmas here without it.

On my Scottish grandfather's side, I remember he used to talk about treacle tart. I've never had that but I've found recipes on the internet. It sounds like I would have to send for some ingredients not available here if I wanted to make it. Does anybody know if it's worth it or not?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Any fruit pie recipe - just substitute the rhubarb for the fruit.

Probably 3 or 4 cups of rhubarb, sugar to taste, and flour to thicken, between 2 pie crusts.

My rhubarb died. I'll be getting more this fall. The rhubarb we have is the same rhubarb my grandma brought from her grandmother's house when she moved to her farm in the 40's. My dad always joked they brought it over on the boat. I doubt that's true, but as strange and my family is about that stuff...well....it could be.

My dad was also raised Mennonite, which is just a different faction of the PA Dutch, so....

Lothlorien

You'll have to try strawberry rhubarb on Vanilla ice cream and on rice (or tapioca) pudding too. We always ate homemade strawberry rhubarb on desserts when I was a kid....I make it for my kids now, too. They won't be wasting 60 years and I'm not sharing!!!!!:tongue:

Penta

I can taste that strawberry rhubarb pie right now. I just love it and have a hard time finding rhubarb in central TX at the grocery store. I'm heading to MA for a week soon and maybe I can bring some back with me. Oh, I love those pies....Yumm!

TerryJ2

Whew! I thought this was going to be a horrendously depressing difficult child thread.

I am so relieved, I am going to treat myself to a slice of strawberry rhubarb pie ...

Marguerite

"On my Scottish grandfather's side, I remember he used to talk about treacle tart. I've never had that but I've found recipes on the internet. It sounds like I would have to send for some ingredients not available here if I wanted to make it. Does anybody know if it's worth it or not?"

I've had something similar. We can get treacle here, but we also have Golden Syrup (aka "cocky's joy") which is a by-product form sugar cane being made into sugar. I've had tarts made using Golden Syrup.

From what I gather, a treacle tart would be a lot like pecan pie, without the pecans.

Marg

SaraT

Mincemeat you can have. Never could get a taste for that.

The strawberry-rubarb, well, sorry I'm keeping mine lol. Love it and have since I was a kid.(Also thought it was a midwest thing)

I'm glad you finally got to taste and enjoy it.