If you have extra patience, please send my way! :-)

StressedM0mma

difficult child is driving my CRAZY with this cast. I really do understand it must be very frustrating not to be able to do certain things, but if I hear her whine one more time about getting someone to remove it, I might just lose my mind. Not to mention it has turned me into a maid. She can't open jars, cut her food, hook her bra, put toothpaste on her toothbrush, etc. And, when I don't answer immediately, the hollering gets louder and louder.
Oh, and did I mention that it is spring break this week? So she is here all.the.time. I am just the luckiest momma around!

T

TeDo

I so feel for you. I can only imagine. I pray really hard every day that nothing like that happens to difficult child 1. Not being able to do much would kill him (if I didn't first...LOL...just kidding). difficult child + unusual limitations = UGH!! You have my sympathies and all the energy and patience I can muster.

buddy

I am so sorry. I would HATE that. WELLLL to be honest, if he broke both legs would I complain??? maybe not, lol.

But for her to be so so freaked out and not being able to tolerate the cast...wow. It begs the question, what are they missing????

Hugs to you.... sounds so frustrating.

B

Bunny

Is it because it is itchy?

That's a good thought. When we were 16 my twin sister broke her ankle and had a cast on and that was the biggest complaint for her. The itching!

Is there anything that she can do that will take her mind off of the cast? Can you take a walk with her and look for flowers blooming or something like that? I know that it's corny, but sometimes things like that, low stress, quiet time together, seem to help my difficult child. I hope the week goes quickly for you.

How long will she have the cast on for?

StressedM0mma

It is itchy. But, because it is above the elbow, to the shoulder, she can do very little for herself. Her thumb is also casted like a hitchhiker, so that limits even more. So, I think she is just super frustrated. I would be too. She needs help cutting her food, putting on clothes, basic stuff. And, she is bored. She wanted to go ride bikes with me last night, but she rides my bike, and I am not tall enough to ride easy child's bike. (she is 6'2") I have offered walks, but she didn't want to go. I am going to see if she wants to go to the office today with me to get everything we need for the puppies we are getting tomorrow. (Fostering)

And, I am just letting her sleep in today. I think she was up pretty late last night. I know I should try to keep her on a schedule, but if she is asleep she is not whining at me.

We have family therapy tonight at 6, so I am sure we will get an earful about how we are not doing enough to help her.

On the bright side, she does apologize after she gets snarky. She has said she is just so frustrated and angry that it happened.

DammitJanet

Cory was in a full upper body cast when he was 4 and a half. It was a nightmare. Part of his right arm was open but his entire chest and left arm were wrapped in a cast to his body. He couldnt do much of anything for himself. He had to wear his oldest brothers shirts which were like 4 sizes too big for him so they would go over all that. Pottying was a real thrill. And yes the itching was an issue. And heavens the smell! Luckily he was little so he adjusted a bit better than I think an older kid would.

DDD

I broke my arm at age 6, had to have a cast and STILL remember how miserable I was. We lived in Florida and it was summer time so it was itchy all the time. I hadn't thought about the itch because you guys are Yankees but that could be it. I wonder if Benadryl would help? Fingers crossed that it improves soon. Hugs DDD

StressedM0mma

Somerset, depending on the outcome of tmrws Dr. visit, I may be buying one of these. We have tried running water through it, but they put it on so tight that the water just spills out the top. I think I am going to press them to cut it off and put a new one on even if they won't make it shorter. It is rubbing at the top by her armpit. And, it is super warm up here right now. I actually turned the AC on for her yesterday because she was just miserable.

buddy

Somerset, depending on the outcome of tmrws Dr. visit, I may be buying one of these. We have tried running water through it, but they put it on so tight that the water just spills out the top. I think I am going to press them to cut it off and put a new one on even if they won't make it shorter. It is rubbing at the top by her armpit. And, it is super warm up here right now. I actually turned the AC on for her yesterday because she was just miserable.

OH MY GOSH it makes me uncomfortable just to hear it. Poor girl!