Just Curious

Tiapet

Old Hand
But how many of your kids that are teens (15 or older) still call you mommy at at time or ever? I just caught my 16 year old doing it. She says "mommy I'm really tired" in semi whine.

I guess I haven't realized it before but she does do it a bit. Otherwise it's normally plain old mom!

I'm taking comfort in that I'm still "mommy" for now however. Who knows how long that will ever last. Kind of made my night and now will make me pay attention to it when she does it again from now on so I can relish it some more. ;)

Andy

When my now 17 year old was young, she would go between "Mom" and "Mommy". I noticed that it was important which one she choose to use:

Mom = I am grown up and want you to approve whatever it is I am about to ask of you because I can handle it.

Mommy = I need/want help. I am still young and need you to do something for me. Please, let me do this, it would make me so happy. Or, please do this for me, I can't (aka don't want to)

Mom = treat me like a grown up/big kid. Let me do this.

Mommy = treat me like your vulnerable child whom you need to meet all my needs.

meowbunny

Mine still does it. I'm Mommy when she needs something. Mom when she's already decided and thinks she knows the answer. Everyday stuff is Mom. Dire straits is Mother.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
If I recall, mine pretty much stopped upon entering hs. Well, Nichole would use Mommy if she was hoping to bring home a new critter. Does that count?? lol

MyFriendKita

Mine never calls me "Mommy," and I don't remember when he stopped. He did let me kiss him goodby and goodnight until about a year ago. I couldn't do it in front of anyone from the time he was in about the eighth grade on, though.

Most of the time, it's "Mom," if he's even speaking to me.

When he wants something, it's, "I have a proposition for you." (When I hear those words, I know something I really don't want to hear is going to follow).

F

flutterbee

My SON will do it when he's really, really wanting to do something or doing a fake whining i want to annoy you kinda thing.

My daughter - never. Not since...hmmm.....6 or 7.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I don't get Mommy - what I do get is a nearly 6' tall young man in an English Accent who says "OH MUTHER??????" or "MUMMY". Most times I'm just Momma. `it's a Southern thing.

DammitJanet

Most of the time Im Momma like star...but...

When Jamie went into Boot Camp I suddenly reverted to Mommy in all his letters home and even after he came home. When he got a cell phone I was MOMMY in his address book. When he calls now he says HI Mommy! Now if he sees me for any length of time or introduces me to anyone he calls me Mom or Momma.

Tiapet

Old Hand
Oh I get the mother to and not in a sarcastic way but in a general conversation some times but usually it is mom. Mommy is really special. I think more special to me because this is from a child, who when younger, wasn't espcially cuddly. It's weird.

Let me explain. When she was infant she used to need to be rocked across my knees on her belly, or when she went to bed in her crib I'd have to sit for HOURS holding her hand. The moment I let go she would start back up (not crying but not being settled). She didn't really sleep as a baby or toddler. It took until 6 years old before she actually slept through the night and that was with the aid of medication (and diagnosis of BiPolar (BP)). She had to either sleep with us or at the very least in our room (we moved her bed in).

We didn't get kisses and couldn't get hugs. Now come many years later and since I got divorced she turned this all around and has become a very loving child. Yes, we believe there is a reason now behind it for sure.

My point I guess is that I am really cherishing more and more the changes and appreciating them because for so many years I didn't have this. The mommy bit just stood out because it was sweet and made me feel a bit more wanted and needed even still as she has aged and is moving forward into adulthood with her own agenda and will (and boy does she ever have one of them!).

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
difficult child alternates between the two - more of a 'mommy' when she's hurt, needs lovin' or is tired. Like the others, I get 'mom' when she's asserting herself or semi-adulthood, lol.

easy child never calls me mommy, ever. I can't even remember when that stopped. Once in a while she will playfully call me 'Mamacita', which is when she's in a goofy mood. She also calls my H 'Papi" - we don't know why but we find it endearing. Haha.

My sisters, brother and I all still refer to my mother as "Mami", which is a Spanish thing. It is pronounced "mommy", just spelled different. :crazy1:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
My mother is still "Mum". She's English and there was never any question as to calling her anything else.

To her grandkids (my niece and nephew, who are 20 and 17), she is "MeMa" which is Yiddish (European Jewish) which means Grandma.

I tried calling her "Ma" once and she told me that only sheep and goats called their mothers "Maaa"

I'm nearly 48. She is 74. At this point, neither of us are going to change, LoL.

KTMom91

When things are going well I'm Mommy, to Miss KT and any of her friends that happen to be around. I think it's because I love to bake, and I'm willing to feed the thundering herd nice warm chocolate chip cookies (or whatever else just came out of the oven), and that's a "Mommy" thing to them. Otherwise, it's Mom. Or nothing at all.

stayingstrong

I am mom most of the time, mommy when my difficult child wants somthing and mother when she is being sarcastic. as in "okay mother". To my easy child-16, I am mostly just mom to him, but still lets me have hugs and kisses before bed each night. They are never too old for hugs and kisses..... Even my difficult child gives hugs and kisses before bed if she is here, but always says I love you before hanging up the phone, even if we are arguing with each other, regardless of how angry we may be, just in case.... Take what you can