Kaufman Test of Educational Achievement, 2nd Edition

Discussion in 'Special Ed 101' started by JJJ, Feb 9, 2007.

1. JJJ

JJJ Active Member

Kaufman Test of Educational Achievement, 2nd Edition

Reading Sum = 75
    --Letter & Word Recognition = 78
    --Reading Comprehension = 75

Written Sum = 73

Help! What do these scores mean? All the report says is below average. This is for Kanga and she's 12.

2. Sheila

Sheila Moderator

From http://ags.pearsonassessments.com/group.asp?nGroupInfoID=a32215 :

Scores/Interpretation: Age- and grade-based standard scores (M=100, school district=15), age and grade equivalents, percentile ranks, normal curve equivalents (NCEs), and stanines

I've never seen test scores written in this manner using "sum." I've never seen raw scores released to a parent, so I'm thinking the scores are Scaled Scores. Additionally, it appears the Reading subtest scores make up the overall reading score. For instance, if fluency is a part of the reading coomprehension problem, it's something that needs to be specifically targeted in her IEP.

With a mean of 100, 100 is dead on average. The standard deviation is 15, so low-average would be 85 (100-15); high-average would be 115 (100+15).

Scaled Scores can be converted to:

Reading Standard Score (m=100, school district=15) 75
    T Score (m=50, school district=10) 33
    scaled score (m=10, school district=3) 5
    z -1.67
    Percentile 5

Written Expression Standard Score (m=100, school district=15) 73
    T Score (m=50, school district=10) 32
    scaled score (m=10, school district=3) 5
    z -1.80
    Percentile 4

This tells me that your child has reading and written expression lds. I'd want additional testing in order to target specific weaknesses -- see the "new" test in the table with-subtests and composites at he web address above.

Understanding Tests and Measurements for the Parent and Advocate at http://www.wrightslaw.com/advoc/articles/tests_measurements.html will be helpful for you.
  3. JJJ

JJJ Active Member

Thanks Sheila, that is an awesome article.