Listening

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ok. As Ricky said to Lucy........I've got some splainin' to do.

These past two years I completed the phlebotomy program. Which included many courses also in the RN program, which happen to also be in the paramedic program. (all 3 require similar things)

After this quarter, as far as the RN program is concerned, I won't have any classes left that I can take except the actual RN classes themselves. (which I can't take until in the actual program)

Because many of the class requirements for the programs are the same, IE chemistry, A and P, algebra, english, ect....I also have those classes completed for paramedic. There is only 1 course that the two programs don't have in common outside the the actual program courses themselves.

So, since that's the case. I could go ahead with the paramedic program clear up until I began the RN program without them conflicting. (if I still decide to do the RN) Because unlike the RN program, the paramedic program is taken quarter by quarter because so often students take a quarter or two then go to work while they finish the program. (RN program you're stuck in the entire 2 yrs)

It's how our CC does it. But if I hadn't taken all the courses I have over the past 2 yrs I wouldn't even be able to consider that as an option.

Does that help?

KTMom91

My vote is to do the paramedic thing, since it sounds like you can finish that sooner than the RN. If you decide to go back for the RN after working as an EMT for a while, you still have that option. If you love being an EMT, problem solved.

You can always take supplemental classes when you find something that sounds interesting.

trinityroyal

Lisa, others have already said so, and I weigh in with them. Follow your dream.
From the sounds of things, you're being handed a golden opportunity to follow your dream WITHOUT giving up on the RN side. You have a chance to check things out to know for sure whether this is the right direction for you.

So...I say go for it. Talk to the director, take the course you need, and check it out. It may be the best thing you ever did.

Opportunity is knocking. It's your job to open the door.

janebrain

Lisa,
I say follow your dreams too. I don't have the experience of there being something I've always wanted to do--I just sort of ended up where I am because of a lack of passion for anything. So, when I hear of someone who has always wanted to to do something and has the opportunity to do so I am envious!

I think it is so cool that you automatically know how to respond in an emergency and can take charge! I hate medical stuff and become panicky and of no use! We really need people like you in this world! Go for it, I say!

Jane

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
I think if I were you I would go for EMT training and see how that went.....if you don't get anywhere with employment then go for RN training and find a nursing job in the emergency center......I'm thinking part of your fascination with paramedic is the immediacy (adrenalin). It takes a cool cookie to make quick decisions in emergency situations and I'm thinking that's one of your talents. The only drawback to being a paramedic and over 40 would be a strength issue, can you lift someone onto a guerny?

Nursing you could do later, but I'm thinking you need something a little different than just the run of the mill blood pressure, pulse check thing........lifeflight would be great for you! Hoping you follow what you feel......hey I went back to school at age 50, so it is possible!