Men's Fragrances........and Memories!

DDD

Rarely do my customers wear fragrances but an hour ago a lovely scent arrived. I had to comment and ask what it was. The man said "my wife only allows me to wear this because she likes expensive scents". LOL! He didn't know how to spell the name and it really does matter. It was nice and got me thinking about memories that are triggered by aftershave etc.

Any and every time I smell Old Spice I am flooded with the essence of my Dad. That was a perfect scent for him. My Ex used Canoe I think but did mix it up sometimes. My boyfriend from Europe wore 1881 or was it 1818. I have never run into that scent again but a few times in the last 36 years I have caught a whiff at Macy's and time melts away for a couple of sentimental minutes.

An appealing man wearing an awesome fragrance...ummm...what a joy! What about you all? DDD

DDD

I'm allergic to candles, perfumes beyond a "trace", pot smoke etc. on the other hand, lol, the hint of manliness never caused me any grief at all. Come to think of it...that's probably why husband doesn't wear aftershave etc. Duh! DDD

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
Dad wore Old Spice or Brut during the week and Aramis on Sundays. My boyfriend wears Blue Sugar or a Blue de Chanel knockoff.

DammitJanet

My dad wore Brut for years when he worked. I can remember as a little girl how when I got up to go to school the hallway would still smell of Brut and cigarette smoke. He always left the house long before I had to get up.

I always thought of my dad when I smelled or saw Benson and Hedges.

Calamity Jane

My dad wore Old Spice, but only on "special" occasions. He kept it in the medicine chest in the bathroom. Every Christmas I'd get him a new bottle of Old Spice and a box of chocolate covered cherries - that was a must!
When I started dating husband back in the late '70's, Musk Oil was the "in" fragrance, and it was supposed to be unisex! Gross, gag, yuk, lol. It was the worst! We still laugh about it today. Also, around that time I think it was Pierre Cardin that used to have His-N-Hers fragrances. The bottles were Male shaped and Female shaped, and they fit together. So funny looking back!

Last edited:

SuZir

My grandpa wore Aramis all the years I knew him. Still makes me feel good every time I smell that scent somewhere.

Then there was this boy who wore Obsession for Men. Well he certainly wasn't a men at the time and i wasn't a woman and soon he was of to Goa to smell dirty and pot and find himself. That scent still brings back some fond memories too.

My husband tended to change his aftershave more often, when he was younger. But I gave Mania by Armani as a Christmas present for him when it was new about ten years ago and he has stayed with that after that. I certainly like that scent. i don't even remember most which he did use before that, but apparently ck One was one of them. difficult child once said that he had just found out what the fregnance was dad always used when he was little and said it was that one. So husband probably had to use it sometime to difficult child still remember it.

My easy child has started to use fragrances too. Changes them daily, uses too much and combined with scent of too much testosterone shared by every 16-year-old boy he mostly smells horrible. difficult child has gotten over that phase already and I'm not sure what he uses now, could be even a shampoo or lotion, because the scent is so light. I assume his girlfriend has chosen it to him, but I have to say I like it. It's light, bit boyish and energetic, really like it for him, but don't really know what it is.

There is also one other fragrance that always turns my head. Don't know what that is either, nor did I know the person it brings my mind that well. The night it brings to my mind wasn't my proudest moments but he gave me something very precious and still when I smell that scent, I always turn around to look.

susiestar

Roll With It
My husband always loved aftershave, but gave it, and almost all scented products up when he saw how sick even a whiff makes me. My dad used to have British Sterling but rarely wore it because he is the source of my scent allergies. I am gla J is tolerant of the noperfume rule since she saw how sick t makes me. thank you loathes axe and most scented things for his own sensory needs and his asthma.

A few mos ago I was watching either NY medication or Boston medication, I forget which one, A little old lady was in the ER and she said she had been a model when she was young and she was the voice of British Sterling from the commercials. THe young ER doctor pulled up a youtube video of a commercial and it was her voice. It brought back a lot of memories from when my dad's allergies were not as bad and when he and bro used to occasionally wear it. I think my Gpa also wore it now and then because bro would give it to him.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Once upon a time my uncle wore an aftershave that would literally cause me to follow him anywhere. Years and years I didn't know what it was called. Until I discovered that Nichole's husband loves the same one. I buy it for him whenever I can't think of what to get him for xmas. Expensive stuff. ATM I can't recall the name of it. lol

DDD

easy child/difficult child doesn't wear any scent since his Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) as he lost his sense of smell but he was a "ladies man" as a teen and wore different scents for different girls. He knew what turned each of them on. LOL! difficult child#2 used to splash easy child/difficult children stuff on himself.......in lieu of taking a bath. YUK!

I had forgotten about Brut. That's what my first love wore on special occasions. He was from a very limited income family. Yeah, grin, that brings back loving memories too. The scent of Brut, the moon over Miami, the waves pounding up onto the shore. It's been almost 55 years but I remember it well. DDD

klmno

My father died when I was 5 yo. I can still remember his Old Spice that he wore on a regular basis- he had a more expensive one that he wore just when he and my mother had a special event. He'd run down the stairs in the mornings, pick me up and swing me around- between getting ready for work and leaving for work. I guess I could smell it easily because he'd just shaven. I'd buy it for my son when he was a young teen. I still think it's the best smell ever!

Nancy

I think my dad took a bath in old spice. He is 93 and still wears it. I just bought him some for Christmas. Good memories.

buddy

My dad used Old Spice too. We bought him a variety pack for Christmas one year. My toddler sister kept getting into it and would dump them on the carpet ( very small room, shag carpet) . The strong mixed smells were unbearable and took weeks to go away. My poor parents had to sleep in there.

I love when men smell nice.

Q wears men's lotions and uses ax shampoo etc. He tries every "tester" in stores. We've finally got him to look to see if it's a men's fragrance and to only try one per outing .....ugggg, LOL

donna723

Isn't it funny how certain scents can bring back images from the past so vividly! I haven't used it in years but all I'd have to do is get a little whiff of Coppertone suntan lotion ... and I'm transported right back to being that skinny 18-19 year old cruising up and down Daytona Beach with my friends. Everybody smelled like Coppertone at the beach! When Iwas young a lot of guys wore English Leather or Jade East ... do they even still make either one? And there is one kind of Christian Dior perfume that just transports me off to a blissful state. And, wouldn't you know it, they still make it but it's now one of the obscure ones that none of the stores carry and almost impossible to find! And yes, my dad smelled like Old Spice too because at least one of us gave it to him for every birthday and every Christmas.

DDD

Coppertone WAS the beach. You're right as rain, Donna. That brings back just as many memories. How lucky we were to have happy childhoods. DDD

donna723

:bigsmile:

Yep! Coppertone and the smell of cocoa butter get to me every time! We used to go to the drug store and buy little blocks of cocoa butter and then smear it all over ourselves at the beach! It looked like regular butter but much harder and it was packaged in little blocks like cooking chocolate. Or the old baby oil and iodine combo! DDD, did you ever try that? A few drops of iodine in a little bottle of baby oil (you had to keep shaking it up) ... we all smelled like baby oil and chocolate bars! It's a miracle that we weren't all fried in to little crispy critters!

It's so funny how you associate different scents with what was going on in your life at the time. I had never used Safeguard soap until I spent five days in the hospital after my C-section when my daughter was born. The hospital had Safeguard for the patients to use in the shower and they also bathed the babies in Safeguard. This is before they came out with different fragrances of Safeguard when it first came out. So my newborn daughter smelled like Safeguard soap and to this day I still think of that when I smell Safeguard. And Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo! What mother doesn't go all warm and fuzzy when they get a whiff of baby shampoo! No matter how old your children are now, it still puts you right back there when they were babies!

busywend

Drakkar! Yum! My ex wore it...it made me melt! haha! New hubby wears Paul Sebastian....love that one, too! I love that my coat smells like it after hanging next to his all night.

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
I used to love Drakkar - except that I made all my ex's wear it LOL. Now I can't stand it for that very reason.

DDD

Yikes.......I'd also forgotten about the impact of J & J baby shampoo. Oh my. It makes me want to go sniff my almost 53 year old first baby. All of them had that wonderful aroma...even easy child/difficult child! DDD:bigsmile:

DDD

Donna I separated my responses on purpose. No I didn't do anything other than Coppertone. Lord am I glad. As a lifelong Floridian these blankin' trips to the Dermatologist to remove the results of those youthful sunburns are no fun. Just got a call today about the biopsy on the tip of my nose........goodness gracious. I'm suppose to be happy that it is another "pre" cancer that can be "frozen" rather than another "melanoma" that requires more invasive measures. It's hard to believe that the best days of my life lead to such issues in my old age. Oh well...such is life or as they say in Miami Asi Es La Vida! Either way it's a bummer but I do enjoy the happy memories and thank God I didn't lay for hours baking in the sun with cocoa butter like most of my friends did. LOL DDD