Mods: Just wondering....

klmno

I love the board and have gotten tremendous help and support here over the years. I fully trust the long term members, even if we don't always have the same opinion- the different viewpoints are valuable to me. However, given the situation with my son and it being a poliice case I don't want all my words, thoughts, concerns, questions, and insecurities on a public forum that is accessible by a google search. Could the previously offered "groups" be a way to allow members who are interested "chat" with me about stuff pertaining to my son? If not, does anyone have any ideas- like a FB page or something that removes any responsibility/compromise from the board? There are things I periodically would like to talk about or ask about and would like more than one opinion on but I don't want it "out there" for public viewing. I hope everyone understands.

klmno

I'm ok with any posts I've made here- I think- if I or anyone else inadvertantly included my son's name, I would ask that mods edit that. I'm just trying to say that there are things I want to talk about and get input on (different people- not a PM) that wouldn't be accessible by a google search. If it can be on this forum that is great but if not, can someone reccommend a way.

R

runawaybunny

Our chats are private. There's one to one which is like instant messaging, or you could also set up your own chat room and schedule a time for a group chat.

lmf64

I have a couple of secret/locked groups on Facebook. The posts are only visible by members, but I'm not sure about how google would work on it. I tried googling myself to see if the posts in those groups come up, but since I have the same name as a famous company I just get page after page of the company.
I narrowed the search and went through 40+ pages of links looking for any coming from locked Facebook groups and came up with nothing. I think you may be able to go that way if you choose.

Last edited:

klmno

Frankly, I need to "dump" everything i saw and heard and get input on it- from members- not lunatics scamming on google. Can someone please recommend a way?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
The secret groups on facebook don't come up on a random search... I've had other people look for me.

klmno

I need to talk to people about what happened- is anyone up for a group call and do you know how to do it? I'm so angry I can't see straight

Andy

I think you need atleast 2 or 3 people to create a group on Facebook (you can add as many as you want)?

In the Facebook account, you should have the option to create a group. (On the I pad, it is on the left side of your wall)

I don't know if you can set it up with anyone not a friend on Facebook but I know people who are not friends can ask to join and be added later. They will not see what is on the page but you may want to give it a name that does not describe what it is for.

you set yourself up as the administrator and check that no one can be added without your permission.

ask members here in pm for their name and google them to "add people" or give them the name of the group and they can search and ask to join. You will need their Facebook name regardless so you know who you are allowing into the group.

i am leaving the bowling alley and will be home in about 15 min. To see if I can help walk you through it if you want. Unless there is someone else who is more familiar with the process then go with them. I have only set up two fb groups and am still learning.

witzend

Frankly, I need to "dump" everything i saw and heard and get input on it- from members- not lunatics scamming on google. Can someone please recommend a way?

If you do an advanced search within the site for your son's name, anything that you find that's yours you can edit yourself. Anything that is not yours you can hit the "report" button and ask the mods to edit it.

FWIW, nothing ever really disappears from the internet, and Google and Facebook both release whatever information they get subpoenaed for. At this point, I would be surprised if anyone was asking for that yet, so if you can do this now, you can probably delete what you want to delete.

Privacy on the internet? Someone else ALWAYS owns the ISP that you're using. If you're worried about it, I would find another way.

flutterby

Fly away!
K, in facebook go to Create Group on the left side of the page and create a SECRET (not closed) group. You can add whomever you like, but no one can see who is in the group, any of the posts, or even that the group exists unless they are part of it. It does not come up in Google searches.

susiestar

Roll With It
If you get my attention here, or if you want to chat at a certain time on a certain day or whatever, I can chat through gmail. I use it wth husband all the time, I think it is just part of having gmail.

(((((hugs)))))

klmno

I was just having a real hard time dealing with it all last night. So many things that happened the night of E's death that were just sooo wrong.

TerryJ2

Klmno, I am clueless when it comes to computers but just let me know where you end up online and I'll look for you.
I'm sorry I missed this thread last night ...

Many hugs. I'll check back tonight. And I'll check FB too.

klmno

I was able to join the FB group- and I spoke with a member on the phone- she has been a Godsend throughout all this- many, many of you have

recoveringenabler

Staff member
I'm glad you were able to work it out so you can have the freedom of expression you desire............many warm wishes and hugs for peace to find you.........