Mods why can't we delete threads anymore?

Nancy

I asked this a few weeks ago and was told after a certain time frame the thread cannot be deleted except by a mod. But it appears as though you cannot delete a thread that you started at all now, even the same day. I haven't checked to see if that applies to replies also, but I assume so since there doesn't appear to be a delete option.

Am I missing something and just can't find the delete button?

Nancy

DammitJanet

Nancy unless I am missing something it is in the edit button feature. I know I deleted something I wrote the other day because I wrote it twice. Now I did this in a forum Im not a moderator in so I would assume my status wouldnt give me anymore access than anyone else in those forums. I know before I became a mod in this forum I couldnt do jack in here.

When I want to delete something, I hit edit, then I can delete my post or my reply. Now...I will say that if its my post and I have deleted my original post, if people have replied to it, the replies will stay.

DammitJanet

at the bottom of the screen when you hit edit it should read, save, go advanced, delete, cancel. Or it does on my screen here. Let me check on General where I have no magical mystery powers...lol.

DammitJanet

says the same thing there.

button one (save) (go advanced) (delete) (cancel)

Now this comes up after you hit the edit button.

Nancy

OK I figured it out. You can delete a post you made but not a whole thread you started, which is strange because you use to be able to do that. I'm not sure I like that because there are times when you want to delete an entire thread you started. I will send you a pm.

Nancy

SRL

We've never had the option available to everyone to delete any threads--only administrators and mods have that ability. If that option was available to everyone it would make for a real messy forum.

Nancy

That's not true SRL. I have deleted threads I have started for years. Why would that be messy?

Nancy

SRL

If that ever was a feature I wasn't aware of it. People put a lot of time and thought into their replies and giving everyone the ability to delete threads could cause a lot of hurt feelings, as well as a loss of a lot of information and experiences.

Nancy

I'm sorry but that makes no sense. If I start a thread I should be able to delete it for any number of reasons, personal/safety/ I want. That has always been the case. Perhaps in the last few updates it was changed but it was never an issue of hurt feelings, never. So I'm confused is it messy or rude to delete your own thread?

I'm sorry I don't mean to be negative but loosing experiences on a thread I started is not a reason to take away my ability to delete my own thread. There may be valid reasons for changing this but not hurt feelings or lost experiences. If I start a thread I should be able to delete it.

What would be messy is if I just deleted all the words from the first post and then deleted all my future updates and all that was left is other members replies that made no sense. Which is the alternative I am left with if I can't get a hold of a mod to delete it for me. There actually is a thread right now that that has been done on by someone else. I'm pretty sure the posted thought better of some of the things she said that could incriminate someone and it was certainly her right to delete it but all that is left now is two characters on the page.

Why is it ok for a mod to delete the thread? Wouldn't the same feelings be hurt and same experiences be lost?

Nancy

Last edited:

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I was able to delete an entire post no one had commented on - but not after they commented.

I've always just asked the mods to remove it or hide it.

InsaneCdn

Why is it ok for a mod to delete the thread? Wouldn't the same feelings be hurt and same experiences be lost?

I think the mods look at the big picture... if its a privacy issue, for example. If there is a good case that removing the thread does more good than leaving it there... then if somebody complains about the thread being deleted, they can provide a reason.

This discussion does highlight an important point, though...
We DO need to think before we post.

R

runawaybunny

If you accidentally posted some sensitive information when starting a new thread you can edit it yourself within 24 hours of posting.

If you later decide that you would like something you posted removed from the forum you can use the "report post" link or send a mod a pm

If your thread has received any responses it would be kind to show respect for the time that was spent by other people to compose their responses by asking the mods to edit the sensitive content from your original post, rather than rendering the entire discussion meaningless by deleting your entire thread. If you aren't comfortable with that option then just ask to have the entire thread removed.

It may have been set up differently when this forum was run on UBB software, but that was several years ago...

Nancy

Thanks for the explanation Cheryl. It was different previously, the originator was allowed to delete their own thread. Just an FYI though, I have never been asked why I wanted a thread deleted, nor would I necessarily feel comfortable giving a reason.

There is currently a thread in PE where the originator deleted her words except for the required two characters. It was started by Elizabrary and titles difficult child Was Fired. The three replies remain but the original post is gone.

Nancy

Lothlorien

Nancy,
When Cheryl took over the site, she made us aware that just deleting a thread (by a member) does not necessarily mean that it's gone for good in the world wide web. For safety sake, we remove the thread to another location and are able to delete it from there, thereby ensuring that traces of the thread aren't lingering around. If you need a thread deleted completely or removed from the site, please inform a moderator to ensure that the contents are completely removed.
Loth