Movies to see?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I haven't been to see a movie in quite a while... I think Grand Torino was the last one I saw.

Any recommendations out there? I'm thinking of squeezing in an early matinee while the kids are still in school -- our local theater has 11am shows for $4 sometimes.

klmno

I've heard Takking Chance is good but it probably would be depressing- I haven't seen any new ones in a LONG time.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well, I grew up watching Star Trek. I've probably seen every original episode. I bought husband the complete set of the original series on DVD for Father's Day last year.

And when we were first married, husband and I watched the Next Generation religiously. Maybe that's a movie I need to wait to see with him...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Marcie, I was thinking of that one, too. I caught the last half of the Da Vinci Code on tv the other night (would like to still see the first half!)

janie

New Zealand
Hi there,
Here in New Zealand I recently saw "The Boat That Rocked"..... it was great -the soundtrack is brilliant too. (You can check out reviews on www.imdb.com)
I don't know whether this movie would still be showing where you live though.
It is based on the Pirate Radio Station (Radio Caroline) in the United Kingdom that was on a boat in the 1960s. Great music ... and a story that made you smile throughout.
The movie had British and American actors.

N

Nomad

I saw Angels and Demons and really liked it! It was a little violent...but good. What is Taking Chances about...other than "taking chances" LOL! :D Anyone seen it?

As a side note:
Mamma Mia is out now at BB. I saw it at the movie theater with- my future daughter in law. I convinced husband to watch it with- me. OMG! He really liked it! I have the cd. He listens to it now and gets a kick out of it! Says it is "cute." LOLOLOL! What a nice surprise.

klmno

Boy, do I remember those years, TM! I'd rent a more adult oriented movie thinking I could watch it after difficult child went to bed but I would fall asleep 15 mins into it. That is why I never saw Shawshank Redemption but rented it 4-5 times. LOL!

Taking Chance is about the war and bringing a lost service member home. It is supposed to be very good, but again, I'm sure it's serious and probably depressing.

DammitJanet

I want to see Angels and Demons soon. I adored the book. I loved reading the Davinci Code and enjoyed the movie too.

The author has a new book out in September I think.

muttmeister

Just went to book club last night; we read Angels and Demons this month so I am anxious to see the movie. The girls in the book club are planning to go to the movie en masse if it ever comes to our small town theater.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
"Taking Chance" should be a must-see for all Americans. I saw it when it was on HBO. As the daughter of a career Marine I think I cried all the way through it but many of those tears were from feeling proud of the tenderness our fallen receive on their way home.

My latest favorite special movie is "Lars and the Real Girl." I posted about it awhile back but no one had seen it. I rented it from Netflix, then bought it. It is sheer delight.

Suz

eekysign

Angels and Demons ticked me off about 3/4 of the way through - and they made a change in the movie that removed that problem.

I could NOT stop grinning when I realized even HOLLYWOOD thought the part I hated was too far-fetched. Ha!

Go see it, it was a good time. Holds your attention well, and you don't need to see the first one to see the second. :)

Last edited: