Need ideas for Thanksgiving classroom party

tinamarie1

Hi all. I am sooo new to this whole room mother thing. I need ideas for doing something for difficult child's class for Thanksgiving. I'm not 100% sure about doing a full blown party, but thought about doing a "feast" for them.
Have any of you done this or activities for Thanksgiving?
any ideas are appreciated!

Star*

call 911........call 911
The Pilgrims set ground at Plymouth Rock on December 11, 1620. Their first winter was devastating. At the beginning of the following fall, they had lost 46 of the original 102 who sailed on the Mayflower. But the harvest of 1621 was a bountiful one. And the remaining colonists decided to celebrate with a feast -- including 91 Indians who had helped the Pilgrims survive their first year. It is believed that the Pilgrims would not have made it through the year without the help of the natives. The feast was more of a traditional English harvest festival than a true "thanksgiving" observance. It lasted three days.

Governor William Bradford sent "four men fowling" after wild ducks and geese. It is not certain that wild turkey was part of their feast. However, it is certain that they had venison. The term "turkey" was used by the Pilgrims to mean any sort of wild fowl.

Another modern staple at almost every Thanksgiving table is pumpkin pie. But it is unlikely that the first feast included that treat. The supply of flour had been long diminished, so there was no bread or pastries of any kind. However, they did eat boiled pumpkin, and they produced a type of fried bread from their corn crop. There was also no milk, cider, potatoes, or butter. There was no domestic cattle for dairy products, and the newly-discovered potato was still considered by many Europeans to be poisonous. But the feast did include fish, berries, watercress, lobster, dried fruit, clams, venison, and plums.

This "thanksgiving" feast was not repeated the following year. But in 1623, during a severe drought, the pilgrims gathered in a prayer service, praying for rain. When a long, steady rain followed the very next day, Governor Bradford proclaimed another day of Thanksgiving, again inviting their Indian friends. It wasn't until June of 1676 that another Day of Thanksgiving was proclaimed.

So the way I see it you are supposed to get lobster, clams, venison and fish, berries, watercress and dried fruit. Yum.

I do believe that children would be happier with -

Pizza and brownies
Making Hand TURKEYS for their parents (I still treasure mine)
or have them make plaster of paris hand molds for a gift for christmas - do it now for then.

Or get a couple of bags of feathers from the craft store, have the kids trace their hands on construction paper and GLUE those feathers on their creations. Kids LOVE feathers.

If there are any costumes available for pilgrim get someone to dress up and serve the food dressed like pilgrims or indians - be prepared most little boys want to be indians (its the feather thing I'm sure)

You can also make pilgrim hats out of newspaper

You can make indian head bands out of material and (again a feather) or construction paper and a feather - they do the design on the headband.

Anything with Indian corn! They can make wall hangings or centerpieces. Or, they can make a horn of plenty.

For fun (we used to do this all the time at home, and if you are doing this for your 10YO's classroom, he is the right age):

Get a bunch of gourds. The uglier the better. Get feathers, ribbons, pinecones, googly eyes, whatever. Have the kids go at it and make faces on them.

Make apple room fresheners. Give each kid an apple and some cloves. Let them put the cloves in the apple in any design they like. It REALLY smells good, and lasts about a week.

Just have a lot of fun!

nvts

I did Thanksgiving Trees with my kids here at home. I cut out tree shapes and then "wrinkly circles" (uneven edges to be used for leaf groupings) and then they glued them onto the trees.

One each leaf group, they wrote things they were thankful for. "My Gameboy", "the Treasure Box", "Candy", "Lasagna", etc.

What was nice is that now we bring them out every year as decorations around the house.

Cheap, easy and personal.

Three big "good" points!

Beth

tiredmommy

Here's a few ideas:
Make a large standing turkey out of construction or craft paper, make enough colorful feathers for each student. They get to write something they are thankful for on their feather and place it on the turkey.
Use large appliance boxes to make a kid-sized Mayflower ship. Have the kids make either pilgrim hats or Native American headbands. Take each child's picture on the boat.
Play "hot gourd", like "hot potato".
See if you can pair up with another classroom. Have one be welcoming Native Americans and the other be arriving pilgrims. Write up a loose script for the students to act out.
Have the kids make homemade apple sauce.
Serve traditional autumn snacks: cider, donuts, apples with-caramel, etc.

susiestar

Roll With It
It might be neat to have each child list the things they are grateful or thankful for on individual pieces of paper (I use 1" by 3" or 4". Then tape or staple these into a chain and see how long it stretches. A very visual way to show thankfulness.

We make turkeys for the classes. Each turkey needs 1 square graham cracker (1/2 of the long piece in the bag), 1 fudge stripe cookie, 1 fun size snickers or milky way or 3 musketeer candy bar, chocolate icing and mini m&m's for eyes.

Put a dab of icing on the back of the candy bar (unwrapped, the wrapping tastes just icky!) and glue it to the fudge striped cookie. The narrow side of the candy bar should be at the edge of the fudge striped cookie. (Use the icing for glue - not super glue, geez!)

Then put about a 1" circle of icing on the middle of the graham cracker square. Stand the candybar/fudgestripe cookie in this.

Use more chocolate icing to make a head on the candybar. I do a thin neckstripe up and then come out a bit. Put on m&m eyes.

Serve to the kiddies just before they leave, or after a LOT of protein - LOADS of sugar. Or just before going outside to run!!

I think you may be able to find pics on the Family Fun website.

Good Luck!!

Susie