new here

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by laborovlove, Apr 16, 2010.

1. laborovlove

laborovlove Guest

I am new to the site, have a four-yr old whom i love dearly but am going crazy over. she probably has ADHD/ODD (has every single symptom) but no formal diagnosis yet.. Every day is a fight and is so stressful, I just want a little sanity for both of us. Any suggestions out there on behavior modification?
  2. tiredmommy

tiredmommy Site Moderator

Well... most of us have had some success with Dr. Ross Greene's The Explosive Child, there's a thread pinned to the top of this forum about it. But it's very important to have your child evaluated so you have a better idea of what she's dealing with. Many kids look like ADHD/ODD but have other disorders such as autism, mood disorders, sensory integration problems, etc.
  3. SomewhereOutThere

SomewhereOutThere Well-Known Member

Hi there. I'd also get her evaluated both through school and privately...a neuropsychologist is my favorite to diagnose, not a regular therapist or even a regular psychologist. Neuropsychs actually do intensive testing of 5-10 hours. Since in children different diagnoses mimic one another, I wouldn't label her yourself. Lots of things look like ADHD/ODD.

Welcome to the board!
  4. SRL

SRL Active Member

Specifically what kinds of struggles are you having?