OMGosh...up and down...now it is a maybe

T

TeDo

OK, I have to ask as, yet again, I am confused. Is this the first one with the lowest rent and unfinished basement OR is it the one for $150 more and the finished basement? You mentioned the "owner" of both in your post. But whichever, yea!!!!

buddy

Sorry, this one is the lowest rent, can have the dog, and unfinished basement. I was told that it didn't matter with this company...they said a couple of days ago that their policy was 35% of income or less for rent and that is that. Turns out the manager of the office had shown me the place and she went to bat for me without my knowing it. Called the owner and worked out a deal ....they really wanted a long term lease so no months would be unpaid. Also fine with changing the locks to double keyed entry....that will help so much....I'll add a key to my "always on my person" list...with my cell phone.

The other OWNER works through renters wearhouse and they have stated guidelines but said it is 100% the owners decision so??? But it is 100 more per month, still would be a much better house. (and they said July 1 no negotiating we will see though if I mention I was offered one and they dont have another offer????

They never called back and no one from the other two places called me either....uggg. They said it was a done deal though.

T

TeDo

Gotta love that manager. This is better than nothing so if that "ideal" one isn't negotiable then this is awesome. Sounds like they are willing to work with you on some necessities. How far away is it from where you live now?

buddy

It is 8 miles south east from our current place so will add about 10 minutes to Q's school ride (nice! gives me more time to work different settings). Funny thing is it is very close to the SUN program they wanted Q to attend, LOL. So we have driven this route many times (remember he had his home bound in that building too. It is right next to the district offices). It is only a mile from all shops and only a few miles from a mall we like....

It is a nice home...and has some advantages in that the basement is a true basement so he could be really loud and no biggie. the other is a split level. This one is two stories (though you enter from the garage level up stairs outside) so moving will be fun...not.

Malika

How big is it, Buddy? I get the impression that the average American house is bigger than the average house here...

buddy

1350 square feet. one bedroom and one full bath smaller than our current place. We have a little bigger kitchen and a "den" which is really divided from the living room with a wall but does not have a wall to enclose it on the fourth side (hard to explain)....so we a re going down on living space and up on storage because the basement and garage are not included in that. There is also a large deck over the garage off the living room. I'll PM you, smile.

SuZir

Absolutely awesome news!

So happy that you don't need to go through any more nerve racking days of not knowing if you will find a place. You are still waiting to hear from other options? Isn't it curious how having one good option to fall back at change the whole game from horribly distressing to kind of exciting?

I always envy sizes of US homes (not so much how 'lightly' many are build and certainly not the heating costs houses like that would gather there I live.) And out house is a bit older so floor plan is not ideal for contemporary lifestyle and we are missing many nice things that would make life easier. I really envied anyone with utility room, when both kids were still home. And it is also a little bit of balancing act to decide how to bring modern conveniences to older house without breaking it's spirit. But the good point is, that we never had the holes in the walls after temper tantrum problem. LOL It really is difficult to make a hole to 10 inch log or solid stone at least without power tools. And if the walls have stand solidly in their place over 100 years already, they are likely to stand one upset difficult child easily.

klmno

Buddy, if the one you have 'in the bag' is around 35% of your income and the other costs more, it sounds like this is the best choice, unless I'm missing something. The economy still isn't good enough to take getting a job for granted and 1350 should still suite 2 people adequately. We are living in less space than that right now and only going to a large home because it's more convenient to work and a school with a 4x4 block schedule and it's barely affordable because they are going to pay utilities and trash pipckup. Still, we plan to keep almost half the rooms closed off - we simply won't need them. The only things I insist on these days are 2 bedrooms big enough for queen beds, a dishwasher in the kitchen, and more than 1 bathroom. 1 1/2 will suffice if we couldn't have gotten 2 fulls. I do like some amenities though-- a fenced area for the dogs and a fireplace.

Malika

1350 square feet is almost exactly twice what we live in (60 square metres). So everything is relative! And, yes, 60 square metres is WAY too small for a hyperactive child. 600 would be good... Keep us posted, Buddy, with your updates.

buddy

Buddy, if the one you have 'in the bag' is around 35% of your income and the other costs more, it sounds like this is the best choice, unless I'm missing something. The economy still isn't good enough to take getting a job for granted and 1350 should still suite 2 people adequately. We are living in less space than that right now and only going to a large home because it's more convenient to work and a school with a 4x4 block schedule and it's barely affordable because they are going to pay utilities and trash pipckup. Still, we plan to keep almost half the rooms closed off - we simply won't need them. The only things I insist on these days are 2 bedrooms big enough for queen beds, a dishwasher in the kitchen, and more than 1 bathroom. 1 1/2 will suffice if we couldn't have gotten 2 fulls. I do like some amenities though-- a fenced area for the dogs and a fireplace.

Oh I agree! It is plenty of space for us, the space has not been as much of an issue as the physical set up. We have 1600 here but the way we are set up (our townhome is above one bedroom units so he can pound on the floor etc...) and people on either side, but the walls are so thin I hear our neighbor snoring every night, for six years. I dont mind, but it is about Q bothering others. Where we are was designed for rental space so the construction is not good, nice appeal, poor bone structure, lol. The new places are individually owned. Most of the residents are resident owners. the contstruction is much better, so we would have still three neighbors touching our home....on the sides and back, but the units are staggered so really it is half a wall for the two on the sides and even the decks (again a big deal, the deck is large and above the garage--he can't run off) is not touching anyone elses...the front door entries are between each deck/garage so it spaces them and they are pushed forward or backward on each side...not directly side by side.

Those types of issues are what helps. Being able to go into a garage (I dont care if it is one car or two....love that it is a two but didn't matter) close the door then unlock q....no public space for him to escalate things. Both places had that. Both only have one door other than the garage exit and both will let me put in double keyed locks so I have to unlock things. The one I like better is a quad so all of them are corner units and the unit I applied for has a deck that is not directly even across from anyone, but does share a side wall with the one behind us. IT i s tall and private visually but not sound wise I imagine.

My decision is based on first stress/management of behaviors/preventing issues and a near second is cost. I have to figure if 100 dollars (which is a lot for me but not impossible, esp with the reduction in bills-water-sewer-trash included which I pay now) will reduce costs too....at my current home I have no cheaper options for TV but in both of the others I will.

After meeting with our home psychiatric too...the one I did get would be great for now, but both of the other two...having 3/4 baths and finished space for Q alone could be made into an apartment training situation where I'd not even have to see the Integrated Listening Systems (ILS) workers, they could show up and guide him in independent living skills etc. Esp. the Third one which is a split level so they could come in the front door, not the garage. I guess I could give them a garage door opener so they can pull in and close the door to let him out like I will. HMM, will have to consider that method for us now too! Maybe I can go back to not having to run around to meet them places before and after Integrated Listening Systems (ILS) times.

Didn't hear from anyone Friday, not worried though. I have faith it will sort out. (famous last words)