Owl??

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Not a peacock, Star, but yeah.........they're beautiful but annoying. LOL

The barn owl (I had to listen to several) is pretty close, only what I heard was huge in volume and would not shut up for the longest time.

Janet, if I can nail down what it is............and not get rid of it any other way, I would do some target practice with the shotgun. But using a firearm within city limits is very frowned upon.....even in small towns. lol

But we do live right next to a state park...........so if I can figure out what it is and know for certain it's decided that pine is it's home........I might be able to call the wild life folks and have them move it. I'd rather just move it.

I'm just waiting for it to start screaming in the middle of the night and for me to literally fly out of the bed and break my neck. My bedroom windows face the pine tree. ugh

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I'm thinking you need to have a recorder ready for next time, so we can all hear it :)

Years ago, I was awakened by a screeching sound outside my window in the middle of the night, definitely startled me. I figured it was probably an owl, but I'd hever heard such a sound before and it sounded downright supernatural. Creepy as heck. Mothman, yup ;-)

witzend

Oy! we have peacocks in the neighborhood. They are so pretty to watch but annoying to listen to. After a while it actually sounds like they are saying "I want it now"

Then comes mating season and they see their reflection in your car. The fight always ends with the reflection taking the bulk of the beating...

witzend

Can you record it with your cell phone? Audubon Society's are great and they will listen and tell you what it is over the phone.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
That barn owl is pretty close. But this one did waaaay more sound types than that in it's "call" or whatever it was. It was really long and involved.

I wouldn't have the slightest clue if I could record using my cell phone. LOL I'm just now beginning to figure out texting on a very small level.

Thank god it wasn't doing whatever it does last night. All was quiet. Maybe I got lucky and it's moved location. I certainly hope so whatever it happens to be.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I don't think it does, keista. Mine is the cheapo delux version of a normal phone. I think I'm lucky it will take a photo, except I can't remember how to do it.

DammitJanet

I remember years ago when I was pregnant with Cory and we had moved into some apartments that backed onto some deep woods. In fact I dont know how far the woods went back there.

One night I was sitting up late at night watching tv in the dark with the sound on low because I was miserable and Billy, Jamie and Tony were all asleep. All of a sudden I heard this screaming coming from outside in the woods. It sounded like a woman was being killed or raped in the woods. It sounded like she was screaming Help me, Help me! I bolted up the stairs to wake up Tony. He came downstairs and we went outside to see if we could figure out where the sound was coming from. We heard it again and he told me what I was hearing was not what I thought but bobcats mating out there. They were loud!

Star*

call 911........call 911
A fox scream is the most horrible thing in a woods especially if you've never heard one being killed by another animal. I didn't realize they were so vocal, but they are. Up Northeast - Fisher Cats hunt them as prey and they are lethal and dine primarily on squirrels, or foxes. A dying squirrel can let out quite a howl too. But Hound said it had feathers. Fisher Cats look like a gigantic weasle. Not sure if they come far south West as Ohio.

Cats in general mating sounds like babies ------to me.

keista

Oh! do you have cell and landline? Either one have voicemail? Dial one with the other and let the call go to voicemail, then record the sound.

TerryJ2

Wow, it's handy to have Tony around, Janet. I would have freaked.

Sorry, HoundDog. You still don't know what it is. But it is an "it," it seems, and not human. :)

DammitJanet

Terry I was freaking out because it wasnt but a few years since I was kidnapped and raped. If I was pregnant with Cory and living in those apartments it had to be sometime in the early 1986 time frame. I had just been kidnapped and raped in June of 1980. Hearing that was like a nightmare but we didnt have a phone so I wanted him to go listen. Back then Tony was a whole lot more intimidating...lol. He was about 230 with biceps like pythons. He used to work concrete construction where he swung a 28 ounce hammer all day long. In the sun. He was pretty cute back then.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I have a picture of over 18 of them in our tree! I LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE OUR BUZZARDS!! JANE THAT WAS AWESOME!!!!!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Sadly, it's not the turkey buzzard.........and yes they are quite common here. Never knew what their vocal sounds were though, that was sort of cool. lol

Nothing tonight either. Dare I hope that it has moved on to bug the heck out of someone else?