Oy vey...

Discussion in 'Parent Emeritus' started by witzend, Mar 12, 2010.

1. witzend

witzend Well-Known Member

So, two days away from our annual vacation, M calls us at 8:30 at night to tell us that he and his room mate Z, who have been living with Z's mom (M rent free, I believe) were moving into their new apartment this evening when Z claimed the Master Bedroom. An argument ensued because M is older and therefore should have the Master Bedroom. (Why is there not an emoticon that sighs?) Zach's got his stuff locked in a garage somewhere...

So, M is standing on the street in the rain that comes down the way it does in the Pacific NW on a cold March night, wanting to vent at us. We're in the car driving home from a nice night out with L -believe it or not - but then again, we paid...

husband somewhat ungracefully gets off the phone so that we can discuss this, and we agree that M can't come home. We'll pay the night at a hotel if necessary, but he has to work this out with Z at least so long as to figure out the first and last months' rent, and that we can help M find a place to be in the long run - not sign anything - but this is something he needs to work out. And maybe Z deserves the Master for having allowed M to sleep on his mom's sofa for the last however many months. Credit where credit is due, standing wet and cold on a street corner, M recognizes that he maybe should not have lost his temper.

M. is starting by calling Z's mom. I am having husband call M and make sure that it doesn't escalate to a police situation or both of them getting evicted. So far, it doesn't sound very productive - but. That's what I keep hearing husband say, "But!" as in re-directing the conversation.

Why? Why two days before we go on vacation?
  2. hearts and roses

hearts and roses Mind Reader

Oy vey pretty much sums it up. Sorry, bad timing again. I hope M and Z can work it out and that M gets over himself about the master bedroom. What is that anyway? When I roomed with anyone, I always gave up the master room, as long as I had my own space with a door, right?

I hope you're able to head off on vacation without this worry hanging over you.
  3. flutterby

flutterby Fly away!

Why? Because he's a difficult child and they tend to be quite self-absorbed. He's not thinking about your vacation, he's worried about himself and the position he's gotten himself into.

Don't let it ruin your vacation or have it hanging over your head. He's a big boy.
  4. DDD

DDD Well-Known Member

I think Oy vey pretty well wraps it up. :( There's no explaining difficult child's. Hugs. DDD
  5. Suz

Suz (the future) MRS. GERE

Oy Vey is right. :rolleyes:

6. witzend

witzend Well-Known Member

After I wrote last night, husband took M to get a backpack full of clothes and school work - phew! - and dropped him at a Super 8, & paid for the night. Z's mom works the late shift so M couldn't call her.

M has to check out in a couple of hours, so he has to figure this out this morning. husband is sleeping in, he didn't sleep well last night. But I will wake him up soon to get going on all of the things we have to do in order to get ready to go, as well as to make a call to M. There's some grief about $26 that Z owes M. I'm tempted to loan Z the $26 to pay back M and keep the peace and Z can owe me. Because I don't give a rip about $26.

I'm not at all clear as to whether or not M is seeing things based in reality. I did hear husband tell him several times that the important thing is to have a place to sleep that's warm and dry right now, and that this isn't an eternity. Not to mention, M's name is finally co-signed on a lease. It's his chance to build up some credit so that he can get his own place soon. Still and all, he'll have to figure out a way to make it work - or lose his money and sleep on the streets. His problem, not ours.