Pie baking question

I actually do really well with pastry. The secret is keeping everything cold, using ice water instead of tap water, and refrigerating the dough before rolling it out. I have never used a pastry stocking (is that what Jo called it? :smile: ) but I think I will try one. What I do instead is roll the dough out between two pieces of lightly floured waxed paper.

Whichever of us it was having trouble with the edges ~ are you using enough water when you mix the pastry?

Hmmmm....

Now, I am hungry for fresh-baked pie, too!

It is strawberry season here. :smile:

SOURDOUGH BREAD

Sour Dough Starter

2 c white bread flour
2 tsp easy blend dried yeast
1 1/4 c warm water

Place the above mixture into a clean, dry bowl or large measuring cup. Cover with a clean dishtowel. It will take two to three days for the starter to develop. Stir the mixture once or twice daily during this time. Add a little water if needed.

Once the first batch is made, you will use starter from this initial batch of starter, and will not have to wait three days for it to grow.

In a large bowl, mix:

3 c white bread flour
3 Tablespoons rye flour
1 1/2 t salt
1/2 t granulated sugar
1 tsp dried yeast

Add:

1 cup starter
1 tsp sunflower oil
1/4 c warm water

Mix and then, knead for ten minutes. (I never used the bread machine with this one, though I don't see why you couldn't.) Put into an oiled bowl. (I used to mix, knead, and rise in the same bowl ~no muss, no fuss...and the first seven or eight times I used this recipe, the bread was delicious and the recipe seemed foolproof.)

Anyway.

Let rise until doubled. Knead for another minute or two, shape into one round ball and let rise on an oiled cookie sheet until doubled in size (about an hour).

Using a very sharp knife, make several diagonal cuts across the top of the now-rounded ball of risen dough. This will give the characteristic sourdough appearance.

Sprinkle with 2 tsp flour mixed with 2 tsp rye flour.

Bake at 425 for forty-five minutes.

You know?

I was just thinking.

I may have been using bread flour for those first batches and then, switched to plain white flour.

I'll bet that IS what happened. :smile:

I will try this one again, then. It was the best bread, so beautiful when it was finished and so quick and easy to make.

Barbara

:smile: