Positive report from difficult child 2's counselor

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by gcvmom, Dec 7, 2009.

1. gcvmom

gcvmom Here we go again!

Despite the lousy grades, difficult child 2 seems to be adjusting well to the social aspect of middle school. Here's a message I got today from his counselor:

Now if we could only get his organization/memory/focus/attention/etc. on the same track, life would just be absolutely perfect!
  2. jal

jal Member

That's a very nice positive note.

I am grappling with-the same with-regards to attentions/focus etc. When you find a solution, please post it here!

But the social aspect in middle school is such an important component. Glad to hear he's adjusting well!
  3. smallworld

smallworld Moderator

Way To Go, difficult child 2!
  4. TerryJ2

TerryJ2 Well-Known Member

Way To Go!!!!
    He sounds a bit like my difficult child.
    Fingers crossed. :)
  5. TerryJ2

TerryJ2 Well-Known Member

I just noticed in your profile that he is trialing Namenda. My dad is on that. I always thought there were similarities between spectrum disorders and Alzheimer's, the way they're so "in the moment" and disorganized.
    Can you notice a difference?
  6. maril

maril New Member

Very significant and reassuring news. Middle school years can be rough. Kudos to difficult child 2!
  7. gcvmom

gcvmom Here we go again!

Thanks everyone!

Terry, yes he and I both see a difference in his focus, attention and memory. Not HUGE but it's noticeably better than before. This drug works on glutamate which apparently is a key neurotransmitter for these brain functions. And it doesn't have the side effects that stimulants have (which also work on glutamate receptors), which is important for the mood disorder aspect of his condition.
  8. Wiped Out

Wiped Out Well-Known Member Staff Member

This is great news-the socialization piece is so huge for our difficult children!