Power of Thoughts

New Leaf

I am beginning to think more on the power of thought and how our thoughts direct us. I found an interesting video on how thought can influence not only our own lives, but that which surrounds us.

This has me thinking more of my two out there finding their purpose. Rather than awfullize and think fearfully of their future, I handed them over to God to watch over. It is too much for me.

In the meantime, I am trying really hard to put Viktor Frankls theory of "crabbing" to practice.

The great holocaust survivor and logotherapist Viktor Frankl spoke of a flying lesson where his instructor taught him a concept pilots called “Crabbing.”

His flying instructor had said – “If you are starting east wishing to land at a point somewhere west and you have a cross-wind, you will drift and land in a different spot. So, you need to “crab” or head in the direction opposite to that of the wind so you land in the spot that you actually want to land at.”

Frankl explained that he felt this held for people, too. If you take a person as he/she really is, the default negative “crosswinds” in our mind make him/her worse. If we overestimate people, however, we promote them to what they really can be.

So, his advice for us? “Be an idealist, because, then you will wind up as a realist. As Goethe said, if we take a man as he is, we make him worse. But, if we take man as he should be, we make him capable of becoming what he can be.”

The first step I took was to change the description in my signature of my two, to something more positive.
I will try more and more each day, to think the best thoughts of them on their journey out there. If it makes me an idealist, so be it. It also frees me to carry a lighter load rather than mourning the loss of my two.
I will pray for their success in their search for finding purpose and meaning.

‘If you presuppose in a man – whoever it may be – that there must be a spark of a search for meaning, you will elicit it from him and let him become what he is capable of becoming.’ | Viktor E Frankl

If Frankl saw the power and possibility of this in his day and age, how much more so is this deemed possible in our modern times? We have only to type thoughts onto this keyboard where they are streamed through cyber space to reach the far corners of the world in a matter of seconds.

rqod_112612_confucius.png

Gratefully,
leafy

rebelson

[emoji173]️ this:).
I give my worries over my son to God many times per day. I also offer up my sufferings for son.
Thanks for this!

Last edited:

New Leaf

The ripple in the pond.....I found the part in the video about the way water responded to positive and negative thought waves to be so interesting. From fractured lines for negative to snowflake formations for positive.......
emoji173.png
emoji173.png
emoji173.png
️ this:).
Thanks Rebel, me too. I need to have some joy up in my brain!

leafy

Kalahou

Thanks for this thread. Great truth, New Leaf,
There is power in thoughts and even more so with the visualizations and feelings that accompany those thoughts. I believe thoughts are tangible ~ electrical / chemical manisfestations ~ that definitely produce observable results. And now the Quantum perspectives are showing us why and how.

One of the most vivid illustrations is to just think close your eyes and think with feeling of biting and sucking into half a lemon with the smell and the squirt and the taste and feel of it .... within a short time, you will likely be puckering your lips and salivating. Did your thoughts not produce very observable results?

Here's a short poem I've had hanging on some wall or other for the last 40 years, to remind me that Thoughts are Things.

THOUGHTS ARE THINGS ~by Ellen Wheeler Wilcox
You can never tell what your thoughts will do
In bringing you hate or love,
For thoughts are things, and their airy wings
Are swift as a carrier dove.

They follow the law of the universe -
Each thing must create its kind -
And they speed o'er the track to bring you back
Whatever went out from your mind.

~kalahou~

Last edited:

New Leaf

One of the most vivid illustrations is to just think close your eyes and think with feeling of biting and sucking into half a lemon with the smell and the squirt and the taste and feel of it .... within a short time, you will likely be puckering your lips and salivating. Did your thoughts not produce very observable results?
Yes, puckering up for sure, good illustration Kalahou.

THOUGHTS ARE THINGS ~by Ellen Wheeler Wilcox
You can never tell what your thoughts will do
In bringing you hate or love,
For thoughts are things, and their airy wings
Are swift as a carrier dove.

They follow the law of the universe -
Each thing must create its kind -
And they speed o'er the track to bring you back
Whatever went out from your mind.

Beautiful and true, thank you so much for this......

Old Irish saying:

It isn't what you think you are, you are.
It's what you think, you are.

Love that, Insane!

leafy

InsaneCdn

Insane, do you play piano?
In a manner of speaking, yes. I "play" around at the piano. Decent enough that people don't walk out of the room. I find that the physical act of making music - singing, playing a piano, other instruments that take effort to play - is a fantastic anti-stress treatment. I can be madder than a wet hare, or really down, or really excited about something good... and it's a really good way to even out those emotions.

New Leaf

I am a closet guitar player, not very good, but I do enjoy trying.......yes, music has a magical way of quieting, or exciting the soul.

The ides of March approach and she is roaring in like a lion here. The trees have been in full bloom for about two weeks now, today we have 40 mile wind gusts. Only the strongest buds will hang on.
That is us, Insane, we are the strongest buds that blossom and become the best fruits of the tree........

Have a wonderful Wednesday.....

leafy

(sniffly, snuffly, pollen is everywhere, leafy!)

Kalahou

While waiting for the bus home this "Aloha Friday" afternoon, I saw a girl walk by wearing a T-shirt that said :

"THINK HAPPY - TO BE HAPPY "

Whoa ..... How simple is that .... that is, it's simple if you WANT to be happy.

I flashed the girl a "shaka" and said "thanks for sharing that truth! " I want one of those shirts now! So I googled and located a few sites that offer something similar:

Think happy be happy shirt (2).jpg

Send out positive, happy thoughts ... Then watch how they return back to you, in ways you may not expect.
~ K

Nomad

Staff member
I love this.
Especially for myself and many/ most others. "If we take a man as he is, we make him worse. But, if we take a man as he should be, we make him capable of becoming what he can be.”

And I totally believe our thoughts are everything. Love Viktor Frank writings/quotes.

I have slight conflict with Difficult Child.
She has disappointed me countless times.
Therefore, for self protection, I am often sort of a blank slate.
I hope for the best, but accept that is often not going to be the case.

Thoughts?

New Leaf

Hi there Nomad
And I totally believe our thoughts are everything. Love Viktor Frank writings/quotes.
Me too. Such an inspiration.
Therefore, for self protection, I am often sort of a blank slate.
I hope for the best, but accept that is often not going to be the case.

Thoughts?
This is a tough one, I am there with you. My daughters can fly off the handle at puzzling times, I never really know what their reaction will be. The saying goes "Don't take things personally".... hard to do when it is right up in my face.
I do think it is right to let them know when they are disrespectful. Be it by saying so, and/or limiting contact, we are working on our comfort zone, not theirs...(right?) ;)

I think self-protection is super important because it is hard to do anything when feeling upset, hurt, and apprehensive.

I like this article linked below. It talks of something called "brilliant sanity"

"There is no place to look for brilliant sanity except where we already are. Brilliant sanity can only be found in the present moment: right here, right now. There’s just no place else it can be. It’s deceptively simple. It’s simple, but it can be challenging. How so? Aren’t we right here? What does it mean to “be present” or “be in the present moment”?"

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...12/ending-suffering-tuning-the-present-moment

So maybe Nomad, instead of being a "blank slate" you are being present?

There is another phrase "Radical Acceptance"

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/pieces-mind/201207/radical-acceptance

I think that is what the Serenity Prayer is talking about.

So, we can be all at the same time, be present, have radical acceptance about our d cs, but also think positively about their potential to find their purpose and meaning.
We can think it, project good energy and thoughts, but if it doesn't happen in the time frame we wish, that's okay too. We can't control it anyways......It is what it is.....
Writing to myself here, too.......

It is a way out of the endless worrying and downward spiral I suffer with the unfolding drama attached to my two. Of course I slip and slide, but I feel like I don't go all the way to the bottom of the rabbit hole like before. I kind of catch myself, grab onto a root or something and slowly pull myself back up.

Hopefully I will get better and better at this. Still working at it.

I feel like I have lost a big chunk of myself and need to continue to work at regrouping. So, each time I am caught off guard, it is like starting from ground zero.
Then, I felt myself going full swing with no contact and kind of, well, liking it, maybe too much.
Is that anger, or....overprotecting myself? Or a respite from years of ups and downs and crazy stuff......yes, I needed a break, for sure. So, how to find balance, middle ground, lovingly detach and maintain sanity, or brilliant sanity.

Life just got so darn complicated intertwined with the goings on of my two.
It is a whole new way of responding and reacting.
So, baby steps.
Sorry, rambling here.
I have not achieved all of this, Nomad, it is a work in progress.

It is definitely way more refreshing to have a positive spin on life..........

Just got to keep swimming.......

(((HUGS)))
leafy

Janette Romano

I always believe in the power of thoughts. It could really motivate us in everything we do each day. Here are some inspiring thoughts that I believe could help change our lives for the better. One of my favorites is this: “Be not afraid of life. Believe that life is worth living, and your belief will help create the fact.”