Problems with Adderall?

somerset

My 15 yr old has been prescribed 5-10 mgs Adderall as a supplement to her antidepressant because she is very depressed and is not functioning at all. I've done a little research online about it, and am concerned that it is considered very addicting and that a lot of teens abuse it. Have any of your children who took adderall ended up abusing it?

DDD

I've never heard of an ADHD person getting addicted to a stimulant. I do know, however, that all the stims sell "on the street" to those who want it. Good luck. DDD

T

toughlovin

I haven't heard of adderall being addicted but it is a drug that is abused by a lot of drug users. The other cautionary tale I would mention is that in some kids it can cause depression... my son got really scarily depressed on Adderall and it became clear that in fact stimulants tend to make him depressed. However that does not mean it is not worth trying but just be aware of its possible side effects.

TL

Kathy813

Staff member
My difficult child abused Adderall for years. She used it for losing weight. She also sold it to to make money to buy other drugs and alcohol. I don't know if she was ever addicted to it.

~Kathy

Nancy

I know many young people who abused adderall and several who were in her treatment center because of it. I guess that would mean they were addicted. They crush it and snort it for an intense high. I don't believe taking it orally does the same thing. We have a bug problem in our high school with kids selling their adderall to classmates.

Knowing what I know about its abuse properties now I would never let my difficult child take it but if she were a easy child I probably wouldn't feel that way. I will say that when other difficult children find out your daughter is on it she will probably have a lot of kids who suddenly want to be her friend.

Nancy