Question about Purses

flutterby

Fly away!
I haven't used a shoulder strap on a purse in eons because it hurt my shoulders. Then even a smallish size purse that I carried on my arm became too much - mainly because it was small, but still big enough for me to keep putting stuff in and getting too heavy. Now I carry a clutch - just big enough for my credit card holder (I don't use a wallet), my sunglasses in their case, my hand fan (necessity), my nitroglycerin, and a pen. I like it so much better - it doesn't hurt my shoulders and it keeps me from filling it with junk.

I never switched out purses either. I only ever had one at a time. My mom and A match their purses to what they are wearing, all the time. And now that they share a residence, they have even more selection.

InsaneCdn

Now my problem is that I tend to overload my purse.

You're lucky if its just you overloading your purse.
Me? Its...
- Mom, I need a pen to fill out this form...
- Honey, can I borrow some paper? need to write down this phone number (or more often... Hon, write down this number for me... well, OK, he's driving, so he can't really do it for himself)
- This keyfob isn't working well today... have you got yours with you? (thus, the 7+ key rings...)
- peppermints to keep kids (and hubby) quiet until we get home for supper

If all I had in there was what I need, I'd only need half the purse!

susiestar

Roll With It
I love purses, could shop for them all week and still go out again next week. My favorites so far have been a fossil and one by eagle creek. Both with lots of organization pockets. the fossil is beautiful leather but is just too heavy to carry, even empty. The eagle creek? has holes because I used it to death.

Star, if you want to pass some of those purses on, pm me. I will pay shipping and whatever. Jess has my purse fixation too - by age four she had over twenty little purses, lol. (NONE bought for full price new - the new ones were on sale and most were gifts/dollar store). She used them to arrange her stuffed animals' belongings - 'cause ya know that each teddy bear NEEDS his own hat/blankie/shirt/wig/whatever - and if you get them mixed up those adorable teddy bears and stuffed critters turn into fang toothed monsters that wreak more havoc than a gremlin hosting a party for six difficult children with major adhd and too much sugar/caffeine!

Haozi, the walmart bag or ziploc is a nice idea. But the noise of the plastic bags drives me nuts. What I am planning to use is sort of like those flannel backed tablecloths and will solve a multitude of problems for me.

The breakdown of problems and solutions is SUPER helpful. Thank you SO MUCH!! This first one isn't going to be much to look at, but I will get there, lol!!

I have to have room for $$, a notebook, pens, sharpies, lipstick/balm/stain/etc...., a tape measure, hand cream, hand sanitizer (I use clean well brand on my hands - it has NO alcohol and smells like italian seasoning and lemon oil - the various essential oils/plant whatevers make it more effective than the alcohol based sanitizers. It is proven to be as effective as the easily available kinds and is easier on everyone. And my boys LOVE the stuff so they stopped fussing when I started squirting it onto their hands. ), a small bottle of alcohol, small screwdriver - flathead and phillips, scissors, medications, sunglasses and ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS room to put a paperback book into it. WHen I get a kindle it will get its own pocket.

A few years ago at the county fair I got a couple of little purses that had a mesh area outside to carry a water bottle, another outer pocket to hold a cell phone, pen, or whatever. It had a thin pocket on the back to put thin items like folded papers, a greeting card, etc... and then a big inner pocket that was just a little bit bigger than a dvd folder (the kind that the movies come in from the store, not the little paper/plastic sleeve. They were PERFECT for the fair, trips to the park, etc... but not for everyday.

Star, you are totally right about a zipper. I do like flaps as long as they have a magnetic clasp. As for keys, that is a stumbling block for me. I hate carrying keys. No matter what kind of purse I have, the keys are NEVER wehre I thought I put them! They are also always in the very bottom of the purse - which is not fun fo rme!!!

Thanks everyone!! If you have other ideas, etc... I am all ears! What is the oddest purse you have ever seen? What was odd about it to you?

muttmeister

My idea of the perfect purse is the smallest one I can find.

When my kids were little my purse was full of toys, diaper wipes, junk, and everything I owned. Now I take my coin purse (which also holds my cards and driver's license), my checkbook, 1 lipstick, my phone, and my keys and MAYBE a Kleenex.

My life is too busy to take a bunch of junk everyplace with me. I have small purses in all colors and change them to match what I'm wearing. Takes about 30 seconds.

I do like a short sholder strap that puts the purse under my arm, a zipper top so things won't fall out, and a separate pocket for my cell phone.

I would die before I'd try to carry the huge purses that I see on sale in stores. They are bigger than I am!

donna723

I never have more than one purse going at a time and up until about a year ago I've never had a decent one that didn't come from the bargain bin. It took me a lifetime but I finally have a beautiful tan leather Aigner purse that I really love and it will last for years and years. I probably wouldn't have bought it if I were at home but I found it in a Dillards store in Charleston when I was visiting my daughter. The full price took my breath away since I've never paid more than $25 for a purse but these were on sale for HALF PRICE! Probably last years style but who cares! I've always used a shoulder strap bag because I don't want to tie up one hand just to hold the darned thing, but those are getting hard to find. This one has two straps and I put it over my shoulder but I wish they were just an inch or two longer. It's big enough but not too big and has all kinds of little compartments and zipper pockets. I've actually lost things in there! Still, I love it! I even love the way it smells!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Susie* ----

You will need a BIG box......I can take pictures. I donated the last box I had and it took a small pick up truck (not kidding) to get them to their store. (sad) so sad.....I'll look and see what I have...probably nothing name brand..but I'll look.

And the Doonie is A box, reddish, one strap.....zipper.....leather.....I'll get picture.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Perfect purse?

Small...like a clutch....big enough for a wallet and a cell phone plus a couple little essentials....but too small to carry everybody else's junk. (Sorry! I don't have room - carry it yourself!)

Two straps - one long to wear across the body...one short to grab the purse off the table or from the car.

Three pockets - one center pocket for the wallet, one outside pocket for cell phone, gum (ya know, grab-ables), and one pocket for important papers (receipts, business cards etc)

Waterproof (but attractive) exterior.

Kathy813

Staff member
Hi, my name is Kathy and I am a purseoholic.

I switch bags to match my shoes or give an outfit a pop of color. My purses last forever so I have a bunch. One thing I have been wanting to try to make it easier to switch bags is a purse organizer. It would also help with keeping one bag organized.

Here is a link to one I found on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Kwiki-Purse-Insert-Organizer-BagnBasket/dp/B002PFLOMG/ref=pd_sim_hg_2

It's a little pricey but it comes in three different sizes. They also make some that are cheaper but come in only one size.

~Kathy