Rant: BFF's son hospitalized for alcohol poisoning-another parent supplied the booze!

S

Signorina

My bff - who is dealing with A LOT right now and has anxiety issued all ready - spent a night in the ER with her 17 year old son. He went to a party on Friday night (HS senior) where the "oh so cool parent" looked the other way while the kids drank.

Purportedly, the "cool divorcee mom" texted my bff's 20 year old son to "come party" with them and he arrived and took the 17 yo home. 17 yo started vomiting to the point where he was aspirating because he was so obliterated. Ambulance ride to the hospital, stomach pumped, etc... HE COULD HAVE DIED.

WHO THE HELL DOES THIS????? WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE??? You want to let your own kid drink - FINE. But DO NOT MAKE THAT DECISION FOR OTHER PARENT'S CHILDREN.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
That is contributing to the delinquency of a minor and so many other laws broken. I hope someone called the cops on the "cool" mom.

Heck, I have issues even letting my kids have a watered-down SIP.

S

Signorina

I *think* the police were called to the ER. Of course they will pressure him to name names as will the school and (from my own experience when difficult child got a drinking citation his junior year) that is really difficult for a HS student to do in real life. I just feel so bad for my friend and I am so furious because it could have been much worse. What if he hadn't come home and no one called the ambulance?

DDD

So glad that he is ok. My difficult child#1 is an alcoholic former drug user. His problems began in very early teens unbeknowst to me. I subsequently found out that his Mom, his bioDad and wife, his Mom's boyfriend, and a number of parents shared "a little drink" "a beer" and in the case of peer parents "a joint". He was not hanging out in gutter neighborhoods...these people had jobs and homes and kids. WTH??

Sometimes (when I am feeling like a little old lady, lol) I think far too many parents of teens and 20's think parenting is a popularity contest OR they want to party like they did as kids. I don't understand it.
DDD

buddy

Exactly who does that. AND who says to a parent of a child who is invited over.... yes, I am here to supervise and make sure they are ok.

My niece went to a party where she had jello shots, pot, booze.... and the parents were there the whole time. It came out in the end because my sister called other parents in the area and one of their kids confessed to everything and now niece had to fess up.

I talked to my niece about alchohol poisioning. I told her, you wont know what your body can handle, you can never say the amount that will hurt you or others.

But to think these parents allow it, not only for THEIR kids but are choosing to let others do it???

And in this case it involved a sports team...very very popular sports team. So, if it got out...kids would be off the team....lots of them. The parents would be in so much trouble beyond the legal stuff....

Just unbelievable.

I hope your bff's kiddo is ok and has a wake up call.

Hugs to bff and you!

Nancy

Ugh I hate that! difficult child has been to many friends houses where she drank and the parents turned their heads. Heck she lived with one whose parents allowed her to drink and smoke pot in their home for 3 months until she called us begging to come home. That parent now has to pay us $3800 for damage his son did to our front door after we videotaped him and pressed charges. What goes around comes around.

I am so angry at all the parents who helped difficult child on her road to destruction by trying to be the "cool parents".

Nancy

Fran

Former desparate mom
Irresponsible and against the law. It's an ugly thing to encourage anyone underage to drink alcohol or provide an environment where it's acceptable.

DammitJanet

This used to go on all the time when we were young. The parents would be in the house and the kids would party in the garage or the basement. I would bet that these parents doing this today are parents who were those teens and have simply not figured out it wasnt such a great idea. I was allowed to do a ton of things as a teen that I would NEVER have allowed my teens to do. Not on a bet.

I am glad your friends son will be okay. Hope everyone else wises up.

P

PatriotsGirl

This used to go on all the time when we were young. The parents would be in the house and the kids would party in the garage or the basement. I would bet that these parents doing this today are parents who were those teens and have simply not figured out it wasnt such a great idea. I was allowed to do a ton of things as a teen that I would NEVER have allowed my teens to do. Not on a bet.

I am glad your friends son will be okay. Hope everyone else wises up.

My mom used to buy the beer for us. My best friend's parents did as well. I swear it is crazy how much we have in common growing up!

I did figure out it was a bad idea and I never have and would never do that for my children....

T

toughlovin

I think a lot of parents are just totally naive about the problems of alcohol and drugs with their teens. They just assume most kids do it to some extent, that it is a normal part of growing up, and much better and safer to have the kids do it at home rather than do it and then go out and drive a car..... I think a lot of parents think that way.

And they are naive because alcohol poisoning is not that uncommon and can be very very serious... and of course there are some kids who go overboard and get addicted.

I would be absolutely furious if my son got alcohol poisoning at a house where the parents were home!!!! There is no excuse for a kid being able to drink that much with the parents home and I sure hope the police did get invovled with that one.

Hope your bffs son is ok.

TL