Sad rare insight into easy child/difficult child

Wiped Out

Staff member
easy child/difficult child is not in a good place right now. Usually she is really hard to read; she can put up a front like nobody's business. Me, I'm a crier, if I'm sad I cry. She can build a wall with the best of them not letting anyone in.

Last night she came home and said she had a really sad day. I asked why. She said that is the problem with depression sometimes there is no reason why. I had her come and sit by me (which usually she won't do). I told her I loved her and she shook her head yes and we held hands as tears streamed down her face.

She told me she thinks she does need a therapist (which we have suggested since she hasn't seen once since she turned 18). I told her I thought it would be good to call her psychiatrist and get a suggestion but she asked me to do it so I will. I think it took a lot for her to even admit it.

We also talked about how she uses tv and reading as an escape. She agreed.

She has not got any friends that she does things with and outside of school and work is always at home, says she doesn't have time for friends. I pointed out gently that she does have time but that she needs to have the courage to try, that she is hiding in the tv and books so that she doesn't do school work and then doesn't do things with others. I also suggested that she start exercising. She has two places where she can workout for free. She agreed to try going with husband today after school. She tried to say she didn't have time at first but we told her it might energize her to get more done.

I hate seeing her so sad like this. I'm glad she opened up last night and am hoping that the wall isn't back up today. If you don't mind thinking a good thought or saying a prayer it would be much appreciated. Also any advice is welcome.

Bunny

I'm sorry that she is in such a sad place right now, but I am really glad to hear that she opened up to you and admitted that she needed some help. It's so hard to see our kids so sad.

buddy

It is heartbreaking to picture her crying like that. I'd call the psychiatrist too. It probably did take a lot to ask. You're such a sweet mom. I hope things start to cycle up for her soon.

StressedM0mma

I am so sorry to hear she is having a hard time. But, it is wonderful she opened up to you. I hope she starts feeling better so very soon.

TerryJ2

Heartbreaking, but I see progress being made. I am so glad you were/are there for her.
I agree about exercise.
Also, if she's into books and TV, there are Meetup groups and book clubs she can join. That way it's not just random acquaintances.

trinityroyal

Aww. I just want to scoop her up the same way I do with the Monster Tots when they bang their heads and start to cry. No matter how old they get, in some ways they'll always be our babies.

Sending many gentle hugs to easy child/difficult child and to you. So very painful to watch them hurt so much, but I am so glad she was able to tell you what's going on and that she's willing to seek help.
Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Trinity

So sorry to hear your easy child/difficult child is struggling right now. I agree with Terry and think the fact she opened up to you is progress. It is wonderful that she was able to share her emotions with you.

You gave her excellent advice and I hope she is able to follow through with your suggestions. Keeping your easy child/difficult child in my prayers... SFR

DDD

That "side by side" connection says so much about how she knows you can be trusted. Hugs to you both. DDD

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks everyone. I called today and am waiting for a response back from the doctor's office. They said the first appointment I could get for her would be in April. I told them that is too long so they had me call back her psychiatrist and see if he will contact the doctor himself to get her in earlier. Fingers crossed we can get something soon.

She told us she didn't watch any tv until tonight. She snowblowed the driveway and sidewalk and is talking to me a lot tonight. Still she says she is still very sad.

L

Liahona

Having her try and accept that she needs help is more than my difficult children do. It hurts but is a very good place to start to make changes.

cubsgirl

Aww...I hurt for easy child/difficult child but so proud of her for confiding in you. I really hope you can get an immediate appointment. ((hugs))

LittleDudesMom

Sharon, that's a great stop for easy child/difficult child! Regardless of whether she "clams up" today, yesterday she reached out and you know what she needs and what, deep down inside, she wants. Prayers offered.

Sharon