Should I put her back in Learning Disability (LD) class for reading? bot

BusynMember

My eleven year old had been mainstreamed from Learning Disability (LD) last year for both reading and math. Before that, she was in Special Education because she had a processing problem that was affecting her ability to read AT ALL and to understand what she read once she learned. Since our school uses The Accelerated Math Program, which is a lot of reading, they stuck her in Learning Disability (LD) for math too, and she did do well. Last year she had an encouraging, but easy reading teacher for her first year mainstreamed and did well. This year, we just had a big meeting with all the teachers. She is getting by well in math because her math teacher has study hall with her and can often give her extra help. But she is struggling badly in reading. When I asked her if she'd prefer going back to SE, she started crying and said, "Yes, it's too hard." My concern is that even if she doesn't do well in reading, she may be learning more in a mainstream class. I also wonder if she'll suffer socially by going back. She's the only sixth grade girl in that class if she goes. Her best friend used to go there with her, but her mom wants her mainstreamed (she is struggling more than my daughter, but her mom isn't going to change the placement). My daughter doesn't seem to care or think it would impede her socially. I am not at all decided on what to do and would love your wise input. Hub says to make the decision myself. He's so helpful...lol. Actually, he loves our daughter--the sun rises in the morning with her to husband--but he forces me to make all these decisions alone. To him, it doesn't matter. To me, it does. Nicole was tested by a neuropsychologist who said she has a Reading and Spelling Learning Disability (LD) and an IQ of 88 (verbal and performance were about the same). I think she's a bit brighter than that, but no more than average. Her self-esteem comes from her great athletic ability and if she doesn't maintain a "C" average, I'll have to fight to get her into school sports (that is one plus for Special Education--the grading is different). I can't imagine Nicole not being allowed to play sports. It would destroy her. If she gets only "D's" in reading it's going to pull down her average, although she's nowhere near below a "C" average. Yet! Thanks for any comments. All are welcome. Feel free to tell me I'm thinking wrong...lol. Speak your minds :smile:

Josie

Will she be in SE all the time or just for Language Arts?

Can you leave her in the regular class and get a tutor (probably at your expense)?

If you can't get a tutor, I think I probably would try the SE since that is what she says she wants. If it turns into a social problem, then she and you might reconsider.

I struggled with something similar for difficult child this year in middle school. For academic reasons, I thought she would be better off at the small private school she attended for elementary school. For social reasons, I thought maybe the public middle school in our neighborhood would be better. I went with the private school thinking we could always do the public school if we needed to.

BusynMember

She would only be in SE for reading.
I hadn't thought of a tutor. I couldn't afford to pay somebody to tutor her every day and she kind of needs that.
My school is smaller than any private school. Only 39 kids graduated from the senior class last year. She gets plenty of attention. Neither of my children did well in a Catholic School. They didn't have the help for Learning Disability (LD) kids.

Josie

Our private school has less than 45 kids per grade. That's one reason I like it so much. They can individualize instruction and all the kids know each other, even in different grades. I did think it might be socially limiting for my daughter, though.

Our school has a lot of Learning Disability (LD) kids in it and no one thinks anything of it. There isn't the same stigma that I saw in our public elementary school so I may not be realistic about your daughter's social situation if she were to go to the SE for reading. However, since she thought it was a good idea, I would probably go with it. Kids that do well in sports have a good chance socially, I think.

Marguerite

If it's where she wants to be, you think it would help her academically, I wouldn't worry about the social side of it. Her friend's mother might change her mind once she see any positive change in Nicole. But where is Nicole going to be with her friend in ten years' time? Where is she going to be in other areas? Which, now, is more important to where she will be in ten years' time?

Marg

Mrs Smith

I would move her back also. I think her self-esteem will suffer more if she's kept in a program she knows she has no chance at being successful. Socially she'll be stigmatized as slow and she'll risk losing eligibility for the one thing she loves and is good at -- sports. Plus, she's aware of this and wants to be moved. There doesn't seem to be any negatives to moving her.

My son goes to the public middle school where 150 out of 950 students are speical ed of some sort. It's much more common than it used to be so I think today it's more socially acceptable to need different kinds of help.

meowbunny

It sounds like her social side comes from sports, anyway. That won't be lost if she goes back to the Learning Disability (LD) class. It might, however, if she stays where she is. So, another vote to let her go back to where she is comfortable and can actually learn something.

nvts

I'd let her go back. Most of her other classes as she gets older are going to be deeply rooted in reading. Once the work gets harder (even though right now she's well above a "C" average) if she doesn't have the reading basis, she's going to struggle in her other classes.

Since athletics are her main point of pride, and she's begging to go back, put some trust in her (as well as yourself) and let her shine. You've explained to her what your concerns are, she doesn't seem like she's lazy, she honestly sounds like she's considering all of the issues.

You have a lot to be proud of. An 11 year old is usually motivated by social concerns. She sounds like she's motivated by common sense!

Beth

susiestar

Roll With It
I think your daughter is very special. A difficult child who is using common sense and judgement based on reason rather than "I want" is great.

It might show a lot of trust in her to let her change classes.

I know trust is a tough issue, we had major problems with my difficult child and being able to trust him with ANYTHING.

I hope that whatever decision you make works out for hte best.

Susie