Silly little pondering question for you all

Tiapet

Old Hand
I'd do a poll but I just figured it wasn't worth it really.

How many of you like seafood and of it what do you like?

Me, I've always LOVED lobster! I will eat shrimp but not like I used to anymore. I can tolerate crab only if it is in stuffed mushrooms. Other then that I'd have to say the only fish from the sea I like is flounder.

So tell me, who likes what?? Just curious. Like I said, it's a silly pondering for the moment.

keista

LOVE shellfish of all kinds except oysters and mussels. Shrimp I can no longer eat unless accompanied by lots of carbs - IOW fried.

My favorite fishes are the ones I used to catch myself on LI - Stripped bass, fluke and bluefish. Bluefish can be tricky to prepare because it's all dark meat, but marinate in teriyaki sauce and it's amazing. Smoke it and it's even better.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Having grown up on the east coast on Long Island, where fresh fish was readily available, I loved lobster, shrimp, bluefish, oysters, soft shell crabs and mussels. Now that I am in CA. I can't get bluefish and soft shell crabs, but here we have Dungeness crab, abalone and different kinds of oysters. All delicious. Whenever I go back to the east, I always find a place to have steamers (Ipswich clams) and lobster rolls, just thinking about that makes me hungry. Smoked trout is yummy too and of course, Salmon. In the town I grew up in there was a tiny place, used to be owned by two brothers, just a counter where they served fried clams, fried oysters and other fried fish served on paper plates and then you would get a bottle of coke with a straw. They had the best oysters I've ever had. When I go back I always go there and have fried oysters. It's been there for about 60 years.

S

Signorina

I love shell fish - Lobster, Crab, Shrimp in just about any fashion but not soft shell crab. I like baked clams and linguine with clam sauce (red or white) I like scallops menuire style - but not if they are in a cream sauce. I cannot tolerate mussels. Love fried calamari -- but will only eat the rings - not the tentacle-y pieces. I really like seafood chowders - including conch chowder. Raw oysters are a fav - but only a few, with tabasco and I prefer bluepoint. I went to a SC Oyster Roast in November and enjoyed them! I will eat a tuna salad sandwich but not tuna steak or tuna casserole. I love tuna tartare. I really like sushi - especially raw salmon and raw tuna. I can tolerate the raw white fish and love the crunchy roe on top. I will not touch eel in any form! I also don't eat cooked fish of any type - including salmon and tuna(except for tuna salad) which I am happy to eat uncooked - go figure.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I love shrimp (used to only eat it fried, now prefer it cocktail fashion). I love crab, lobster.........and so far I haven't met a fish I don't like. Oh, I also love clams.

Pretty good for a kid who only got fish on fridays with the school lunch and the occasional catfish her uncles caught and treated her to. LOL I think I'm making up for a lifetime of deprivation.

shellyd67

I will eat ANYTHING that comes out of the sea ... I love it all !!! Some more than others ... My fav's are shrimp, crab and scallops ...

DammitJanet

Sig...where did you go to the Oyster roast? Not Little River by chance was it? If so you were almost right by me! My mom lived there for years and I went to that for years.

I love almost all seafood except eel and calamari. I have eaten calamari but its not my favorite. I love oysters in all forms. My favorite seafood is Calabash style seafood. You havent lived until you come to SC and eat it there. LOL. I also love the fried whole clams from up north in Massachusetts. There was this little place my dad used to take me that had the best fried clams...yum!

S

Signorina

We were in the Low Country. Bowen's Island Dock House. It was a Rehearsal Dinner and we had such fun!

S

Signorina

I definitely will. I would love to meet you! It was my first time in SC and we loved it. One of my best friend's from HS moved there about 14 years ago, and I am embarrassed to say it was our first time visiting her <gulp>. Her mom grew up in Charleston and her parents met and married there and moved back when they retired and she and her sisters joined them over the years. She just got married for the first time at age 44 and we were there for her wedding. It was at the Boone Hall Plantation and incredibly lovely. She lives in Charleston and her new H is a college football coach - we hope to take pc15 there to see a college football game in the fall. My H and I really fell in love with the area and the food and we wish we could have spent more time there.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Shellfish, but no swimmy fish!! It's not a flavor thing, it's a texture thing. Fish has a strange texture in my mouth that I just can't stand. Shrimp, lobster, crab, yum!

family mum

hi, I love shrimp. I eat and cook occasionally salmon and trout. Lobster tails, tilapia. grouper, red snapper, mahi-mahi , etc, will eat in a restaurant but can't smell it when it's cooking. I love mussels but severely allergic so I stay away from them. I was newly introduced to sushi, found that I like it.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Yo, Hearts and Roses, (My NY self slips out now and again) I use to go to Rocky Point as a child, my parents had good friends who had a summer place there! My Aunt lived in Selden, isn't that near Smithtown? I forget, I've been in CA. for 30 years! I grew up in Rockville Centre, lived in East Rockaway when I was married to my difficult child's Dad and then moved to CT. and lived in Westport for a bunch of years before I moved out here. But I still consider NY home and still say that when I go to the east coast, "I'm going home!" Can't take the New Yorker outta me, I really miss New Yorkers too, clearly my peeps!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I love seafood. LOVE it.

Not fried unless it's calamari... And not raw unless it's oysters on the half shell. Which I will pine for, until after Bean arrives...

DammitJanet

Charleston is lovely. Tony works down there quite a bit. I know you dont get the commercials where you are but when you talk to your friend, mention Piggly Wiggly to her. Its a grocery store chain here that is local to the Carolina's. Right now, Tony is working his way all over the two states rehabbing the stores. The store's motto is that they buy local and employ local, so he goes around saying he is part of The Pig! LOL

S

Signorina

LOL - we have Piggly Wiggly here too! I could walk to it - it's our closest grocery store! PC17 is a "facer" there - he works 5-10, 3 nights a week, cleaning shelves and pulling products forward and labels front and center. He claims he hates it, but it's gas money and doesn't interfere with school or social life - he has seniority - he's managed to survive for 9 months there so he gets to pick his nights. Begrudges mom and dad who insist he be employed. Bad mom. See, we ARE practically family on these boards :)

Kids used to sing "Shop the Pig" every time we drove by it when they were little!

And Hey NY'ers...a former LI girl here - Suffolk County!

InsaneCdn

Seafood. Well, given that I grew up land-locked and a long, long way from ocean... the closest we got growing up was canned salmon. Given that I like fish (grew up on fresh-water varieties), ocean-fish in general is great... except it's not affordable. Shrimp sometimes comes at a good price, everything else is totally out of reach.

donna723

Our one grocery store in town was a Piggly Wiggly too until a few years ago when it became a Food Giant.

I love most seafood too but not really the "exotic" or weird things. I like almost any kind of fish as long as it's fried or broiled. Where I live in Tennessee is right on the river and it's practically catfish heaven here! People take big outdoor propane cookers down to the river and make a day out of it. They cook fresh catfish breaded with cornmeal, french fries and hushpuppies, and bring coleslaw and white beans to go with it. Wonderful! I love crab cakes if they're done right. My favorite is shrimp but only if it's breaded and fried. I don't want to have to see them looking like bugs with all the little legs hanging off them where you have to take the shells off though. And the restaurant in the little hotel down the block from me makes the most wonderful coconut shrimp I've ever had!

My daughter and sister in law live in Charleston and I absolutely love it there! My sister in law was born and raised in Charleston and his whole family is there. His aunt is usually the one who hosts the rest of the family for holiday dinners. Not sure what they call it but sometimes they take a huge pot of water filled with fresh shrimp and other seafood, small new potatoes, corn on the cob, and lots and lots of spices and seasonings and boil it all together. Then they drain off the water, dump it all out on towels, and everybody just takes what they want ... wonderful!

DammitJanet

You have a Pig in the midwest? WOW! I thought they were just down here. We didnt even have one in Richmond...lol. First time I heard of one was when I moved to SC and I thought it was the funniest name I ever heard of...almost as funny as Food Lion.