So, how many points...

F

flutterbee

are a bag of M&M's?

Just wondering....

I know that it's emotional eating. I know that, I know that, I know that. Thing is, with my current mood I just. don't. care. Ugh. I even had french fries tonight. Done in the fryer. I could hear my arteries clogging as I ate them. I didn't care.

I care after the fact. Not during. When it hits again, I don't care again.

I have GOT to find a better coping mechanism.

Stretches. Maybe I'll try stretches. I can do that no matter the hour without getting my heart rate up so I can't go to sleep. Plus it will be relaxing and will help with my physical issues.

I love this forum. Even if it just allows me to think out loud. But, knowing that you guys are here to support each other is just so wonderful.

I'm going to go cry now. I'm so freakin' emotional. Sigh...

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
We can be emotional together. I keep wondering if I eat one pack after another (I haven't yet) of the 100 calorie pack snacks is that still healthy. And the sausage biscuits and gravy I had for breakfast goes with your dinner. Let's see you are in ohio I am in iowa so that means we could meet at the border of indiana and illinois and be miserable together. Guess I am not helping except to say not to beat yourself up about it. We will get through this.

Beth

F

flutterbee

Thank you, Beth. :smile: Sometimes the eating is so mindless. I don't even realize what I've eaten until, you know, the bag is empty.

I did resist the french fries for TWO whole days. I've been craving them. I caved tonight.

LittleDudesMom

Heather,

I think you need to give in to your cravings or you end up eating "around it" and end up eating more than you would have if you had just eaten what you wanted!!!!!!!!!

You know, I have an endless lists of mistakes and dumb choices I have made with my health. But I really think the key is preplanning. If you plan ahead, you can also plan for those things you really want. Instead of frying the fries, you could have slice some potatoe wedges, sprinkled them with a little olive oil, sea salt and any other herb you like, and roasted them in the oven. But, you had to have had the potatoe (not the bag of frozen fries!) to start with.

I keep telling myslef, plan ahead, planning, plan ahead, planning, plan ahead............

Sharon

SRL

I'm not even cutting out those foods I know I'll crave. I'd do better in the long run knowing I can have a small amount of the chocolate I like when I want it to avoid wolfing down large quantities of the cheaper-whatever-happens-to-be available stuff. After Christmas I found some baking melts of very high quality milk chocolate and one or two of those quenches the craving.

Nomad

Staff member
I also do better if I have a small amount of chocolate almost daily. I believe it gives Serontonin level a little boost, and besides it tastes very good.

I think its best not to have something over the top tempting in the house. Buy stuff you like in small quanitities. I also keep it in weird places, like on top of the refrigerator so I don't have to look at it frequently.

Check out the Vita-licious products. They are good.

Heather,

Please be easy on yourself!!! I know how hard it is to kick the emotional eating habit!!! I'm still struggling with it daily. Last night I went back into the kitchen after dinner, got the frozen yogurt out of the freezer,:hammer: put it back after realizing I would have to fess up here on Wednesday, took out the frozen cherries, put them on defrost in the micro for a few seconds, and ate some of them instead. :whew: Still, I wasn't supposed to go back into the kitchen AT ALL... :slap:

I know what you mean about not caring - I think we just need to get to the point where we stay out of the kitchen when we're supposed to be out of the kitchen long enough so it becomes a habit. I think someone here said that will take us about 21 days to accomplish. WE CAN DO IT!!! After all, 21 days is just a drop in the bucket in the scheme of life... (OK, so I need more caffeine...)

I like the idea of you substituting emotional eating with stretches. YOU CAN DO IT!!! And, I agree with the others who said that is important to plan for snacks - Otherwise, it is just too tempting to grab whatever is available.

Also, I agree with the others who said not to deprive yourself of foods you crave - Just eat them in moderation. in my humble opinion, if you totally deprive yourself of whatever it is that you're craving, you'll end up eating everything but what you're craving and still not feel satisfied. in my humble opinion, this is a recipe for disaster. I know - been there done that :hammer:

Today is the first day of the rest of your life... Remember, "
NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS BEING THIN FEELS!!!" YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Sending lots of hugs and strength your way :flower: WFEN

Star*

call 911........call 911
Wynter -

have you tried sucking on a bag of M&M's ?

Tell yourself that is your snack for the WHOLE day - take a few out and then hid it (out of site) when you get chocolate cravings - try Carob or Rice cakes with chocolate - the caramel ones are very good too - There are 60 calories in 7 cakes.

Trinity suggested on another post grapes - washed and pulled off the vine - can be the same size, and round shape of an m&m - haven't tried that yet - but one step atta time.

F

flutterbee

I did really good right after the heart attack. I put the m&m's in the cupboard and honestly hardly touched them at all. Now if they're even in the house, I can't leave them alone. It's terrible.

I was doing so well with my diet - not for weight loss, but eating healthier. And lately, it's been horrible and other than wanting to lose weight I just can't seem to care. I think it's because I just feel so lousy so much of the time. Right after the heart attack and continuing for 3 months, I felt better than I had felt in years so it was easier to do the healthier thing. I know that makes no sense - it seems backwards - but that's how it worked.

I keep buying the right foods, then not eating them.

I just have to force myself. That's all there is to it.

Heather,

I'm not really sure I have anything to say that might be able to help you. However, it makes sense that if you're not feeling well, you should continue to make a huge effort to eat healthier. I don't know why you seem to be engaging in "self-sabotage" as Barbara called it, in another post. I just know, that if you eat healthier, you WILL feel better!!!

My advice is to get rid of all the junk food that you absolutely can't resist. in my humble opinion, there really isn't any such thing as permanent willpower. I know others might not agree with me, but I truly believe that, in time, people will give into their cravings if it is too convenient for them to do so.

This really doesn't go against what I said previously about not depriving yourself of foods you truly enjoy. If you really must have a certain type of junk food, plan in advance for it. Buy it in a single serving size, eat it slowly, and really enjoy it!!! I know this is difficult to do, but, you CAN do it!!! We'll be here to help you every step of the way!!!

Keep on buying the right foods. EAT THEM TOO!!! And, post often when you feel out of control. It really helps.

Sending lots of hugs and caring thoughts... WFEN

Kathy813

Staff member
Here's an online points calculator that should help:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kreider/Points.htm

When I did WW points I always saved myself 2 points for a bedtime chocolate snack (bite size Milky Ways or 3 Musketeers).

I knew that I couldn't cut myself off cold turkey. The 100 calorie bags of M&M's would be perfect. They didn't have those when I was on WW.

I also made fat free, sugar free puddings and topped them with lite cool whip for a 2 point dessert that satisfied my sweet tooth.

I only had to lose 10 pounds but I found it easy to do using the points system. I got to eat what I liked as long as I was careful counting points. Using a journal is really important, too.

Good luck.

~Kathy

M

ML

Despite how well or poorly you are doing on the healthy eating plan, try to be gentle to yourself. My self affirmation goes like this "Michele, even though you're not doing so well today, I still love you. You're a good person no matter what the scale says". Star, you are a beautiful, loving and amazing spirit. Hugs from a fellow emotional eater.