sold my gold

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
welp my friend from work had done it and she said she got a lot of $.
I really have not been into yellow gold anymore and I had quite a bit of it, kinked up chains, too small rings, loner earrings who lost their mate. So I gathered it all up, checked the market price of gold b4 I went. I took it to a local jeweler. I got $259.00 <cash>, I marched it right over to Kohls and paid off my charge there.

Next stop is to list all my "get rid of's" on ebay!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Wow. I didn't realize jewelers would take unmatched earrings ect. That's pretty awesome. :D Hmmm, now to find the time to dig around in my jewelry box. (not that I have alot lol)

SRL

Check around--in my town I heard that the pawn shops were paying better prices than the jeweler.

susiestar

Roll With It
Good to know. A couple of years ago my exSIL wanted me to help her sell her rings from her first marriage. Pawnshop offered her $100 and she was PO'd because it was much more than that new. You got a great deal! I don't have much, but I do have some odd pieces from high school. The Zales in our area used to do grab bags when I was in High school. $20 to $50 and you got a bag of charms, chaines, etc. Some nice stuff, but mostly stuff I should dig out and sell. Thanks for letting me know about this!

Stella Johnson

I've never tried Ebay. I have big bags full of clothes I was thinking of having a garage sale. Do you think I would do better putting it on Ebay?

Steph

SRL

ebay is a lot of work to learn and it's time consuming to list there, so unless you have clothes items that are in really good shape or brand name, garage saling would be quicker and easier. You also have to factor in costs of shipping materials and gas to the post office.

I've done well with special items--an American Girl christmas dress, full sets of children's books, sets of VHS tapes, etc. but when I've just listed regular kid's clothes it's not been worth my effort.

trinityroyal

SRL is right that eBay is time consuming. Also, in addition to the cost of shipping and the time and cost to get things to the post office, you have to keep in mind that eBay charges you a fee for everything you sell. So...when you're pricing your goods, you have to account for that in your bid price AND shipping price, to ensure that you make something on the deal.

I would go with the garage sale for clothing and other things.

As for jewellery, Birks (don't know if you have them in the U.S.) takes pieces on consignment. If you're not in a hurry for the money and want to get a good price, it might be worth talking to a good jeweller in your area to see if they do something similar.

If you do need the cash in a hurry, then there are several places will buy your gold in whatever shape it's in. Our local dude is Russell Oliver, known as "Cashman" (in his TV ads, he even wears Superman tights).

Trinity

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
for clothes I would say, if they're in good shape, find a local consignment shop and you'll get more $ for them.

KTMom91

I agree with taking clothes to consignment stores. Anything that doesn't sell there can go to Goodwill. Unless you're a yard sale person...the only time I'll join in a yard sale is when my sister in law and mother in law decide to have one, because we hang out at mother in law's and she feeds us. My mother in law makes the best quesadillas, chile verde, BBQ beef...yum!