Stepto2

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I happened on the book in the grocery store yesterday at lunch.

I read 400 pages last night!!!! Grrrr... It was better than the movie, but I still enjoyed the movie (most likely cause I started watching from the "action" part). Very, very different. Liking it and probably going to the bookstore at lunch to get the next one!

And I so can't wait to get home and finish reading this thing! I feel like an bumbling idiot because this is so far from my typical reading!

Last edited:

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I about fell over when I saw my "name" on the subject line... But I got a real good giggle out of it when I saw what!

Told ya it was good. There are some "outtakes" on Stephenie Meyer's website, too.

Takes you right back to HS, doesn't it?! All the angst, the omigoddidhejustlookatme sort of feeling...

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Good. LOL It is really good, and I still am not sure why!

Would you call the characters "deep"? I don't know, this baffles me what the draw is. I don't usually care for anything that stretches reality too far. I guess maybe even tho the plot is a stretch, the conflict is realistic? I dunno. Confusing.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
According to SM, Chapter 13 - the meadow scene - was a dream and the whole thing snowballed from there.

I'm not big on romances, either. I like murder mysteries! But difficult child 1 nagged me into reading it when I was a) vulnerable to anything to make her happy and b) out of reading material. I'll read almost anything... LOL... But not over and over usually!

I think the draw isn't the romance, or the supernatural. I think it's the fact that Bella could be anyone - you, me, someone you know's daughter... It just doesn't matter because you BECOME Bella. Even husband said this when he read them! by the way - I am a curly-headed blonde, green eyed "child" of parents that stuck together. But I was her for that time. And everyone wants someone who loves them as much as Edward. Even aliens, I'd bet.

by the way - do you remember the dream she had right after La Push, when Jake changed into a wolf and Edward had all the shiny sharp teeth? Remember that for "New Moon"... It's important...

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I think you're right.

And for the record, I'm a murder mystery person, too.

A co-worker watched the movie last night and was talking to me about it, asking things that weren't explained in the movie. We just got to chatting and I think part of the draw is stuff that isn't even written. Like, how would you have purpose to your life going thru high school over and over, knowing it would likely never end...and what's the Dr's medication school diploma look like? Surely he's not operating on the 1730 degree from France, the one's who "died" with family left...can they never go back? Do they want to? That's where my head goes.

Then again, it usually runs off into some strange place, anyway, so why am I shocked! lol

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I think they all go to college too. I think it's inferred... But I can't imagine having to relive high school over and over and over. I hated it the first time!

You know, if my kids missed every sunny day at school (even as few as there are in Forks), they'd be held back. So that's another suspension of disbelief for me.

There's a lot of stuff explained on Stephenie Meyer's website, too. I also like the Twilight Lexicon - they have a lot of background on the characters (thanks to SM).

I'm a little obsessed. husband and I went to the movie the night it came out - he dressed as Emmett, difficult child 1 straightened my hair and I went as Rosalie. They're my favorite characters...

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Ok, I'm not that bad! lol

I missed the college inference. Or haven't got to it yet, maybe. I liked the mortar boards on the wall in the movie, too.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I can't remember where the college inference comes in. There are four books, and as I have read the entire series (don't fall over, I'm obsessed) 14 times...

There are a lot of things that threw me about the movie. For instance...
> Bella and Charlie eating out so much. She's supposed to cook!
> Where was the tree on the beach? The special one?
> I really, really missed the blood typing scene. GREAT visual...
> Since when is Bella a vegetarian?
> Thought the school was a collection of buildings - not one big one.

There are more about that, but I'll shut up. I have more problems with the casting:
> Taylor Lautner's nose is too big to be Jacob. And he looks funny with long hair. Every time I see him I think, "SHARK BOY!" (difficult child 1 used to have a crush on him...)
> Robert Pattinson should have waxed his chest. The whole furry thing is kinda icky. I don't mind in real life, but for the part... Eww.
> Rachelle LeFevre's hair is not red enough to be Victoria.
> Christian Serratos does not have light brown hair like Angela was supposed to. And for some reason I never saw her as any kind of ethnicity other than "mutt" - like me!
> Anna Kendrick doesn't have curly hair, which Jessica was supposed to.
> Jackson Rathbone could make a good Jasper... But I can't see how a Confederate soldier would have hair that long.

OK That's enough. Have you gotten to New Moon yet?;)

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I finished the first one last night and deliberately didn't go buy the second so I wouldn't have it to stay up all night and read. lol I read the preface at the end of Twillight, tho. Of course, it stops where she gets a paper cut at her birthday party.

I see a ton of differences between the movie and the book, but I guess not having read the book first was a plus, in my case. I wasn't disappointed by the movie. Then again, I'd never even heard about it, either! lol (not a move or tv person) On the other side of that coin, tho, the book is much better - it explains things that you don't get from the movie.

I was looking on ebay for the last 2 books and ran into Midnight Sun several times, so I looked it up. I think I'm as excited about that one as any of the rest, now, as its Edward's perspective. Its not out yet, except for the leaked version, so I'll wait.

Another scene from the book that would have been good in the movie is when Edward is searching random thoughts to find her in Part Angeles when the guys are following her. Done right, that could have been impressive, as well.

But, I'm going to get New Moon today. And maybe Eclipse, we'll see. Better quit there, tho, so I'll have some excuse to sleep this weekend.

Oh, and I bought 2 more Jodi Picoult books yesterday, too.

I'm doomed.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I told husband this morning that I got someone else addicted to Twilight. He thought that was FUNNY! He's read the series twice. difficult child 1 thought it was pretty cool.

About Midnight Sun... I highly suggest reading what she has posted on her website. It will probably be months if not years before we see it in print. And it will give you a GREAT perspective on Edward.

The papercut is one of those normal things that happen to everyone... That changes everything. And I mean EVERYTHING. I can't tell you more though, because that would be rather awful.

SM also wrote an "adult" book called The Host. It was pretty good, but I've only read it once - last May when it came out. Since I am in the middle of multiple books right now (Diana Gabaldon - Voyager - my fluff reading; Dr. Susan Forward - Toxic Parents - my serious reading; and Michael Weaver - Deceptions - my lunch reading) I might just read that again. Actually I'm starting to get the urge to read the Twilight series again...

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Oh, well. I find it funny, too. I'm on the high side of 35 and finally fell for a romance story. lol I keep reading about Bella and thinking about your husband being HER, and that adds a little twist to it, too. lol So its ok. I'm an addict. My name is Shari. lol (tho I rarely reread books...never have, actually)

I read her website on the Midnight Sun this morning, but haven't read the long version she's got posted there yet. One of the blog entries says she planned to begin on it again late 08, tho.

I'm getting the kids around to go do some errands, one of which is getting the next book. LOL If the weather doesn't force us off the roads, I'm going to have plenty of reading time this weekend.

PS - You know what else I think I like about this book? That this author wrote about a family of unrelated vampires with a better sense of family than my in-law's. lol.

Last edited:

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
You know what else I think I like about this book? That this author wrote about a family of unrelated vampires with a better sense of family than my in-law's. lol.

ROFLMBO!!!!

Yeah, my inlaws are pretty dysfunctional too. Divorced for 20 years and they're STILL not over each other. I finally had to tell them that I wasn't going to listen to them bash each other any more. When husband and I got married... OH WOW. It was at mother in law's house so husband's 93-year-old grandmother could attend, and we had only relatives (plus my best friend who is my sister in all the ways that count, and her hubby). mother in law sidled up to father in law and mentioned how lonely she had been. I never saw father in law move so fast as when he left!

mother in law likes to try and set sister in law against husband. Problem is, they talk. So it doesn't work. And, better yet - mother in law is a licensed counselor. Whew...