Still in a depression

ChristieR

Im still depressed, I have butterfly feelings in my chest. Im crying and my husband thinks its all a mind thing, that I should just snap out of it. Im jsut so sad about nothing and I dont know what to do about it. I switched Dr.s and she cut out my lithium and my remerson but upped my prozac. yet I feel worse. Im gonna call her tomorrow but I dont know what else they can do for me, It feels hopeless.:angry-very:

tryinghard

Christie,
I am sorry. Even though Ihave never officially been diagnosis'd with depression...when I feel down there is nothing I can do to make myself feel better. No one understands how this feels unless they have felt these feelings. That is why your husband doesn't understand..mine doesn't understand either. I wish I could help more...but I can tell you I know how you feel...sending gentle hugs...

N

Nomad

I think it is great that you are calling the doctor. This is the #1 thing to do. Are you getting a good nights rest? If you are not, you might want to address this as well.

Do you have any plans for the weekend? Sometimes it is hard to get up and get going when we are depressed, but if you can push yourself, try to make a plan to get out of the house. Perhaps get a babysitter and go to dinner, etc.

Do you have a very good friend to talk with? You might not want to talk too long while you are in this state, but it would be nice to hear a friendly voice. Do you see a therapist?

As a side note:
I recently read a book that might be helpful. It is called Happiness Now. The author seems warm and insightful.
Here is a description from amazon.com:

Happiness NOW! is a truly powerful and radical exploration of one of life’s most treasured goals. Packed with rich insights and practical wisdom, It offers a message of profound hope and healing for a generation that is often too busy chasing happiness to be truly happy.

Hope you feel better soon.

DammitJanet

Christie...I also get mired down into the depression side of the bipolar. Because I also have a chronic pain condition this always makes my pain worse which just makes my depression worse. Its a horrible cycle.

I cant tell you how many times I have heard the stuff about just think positively, do something fun, its all in my head and I just have to not think these things...you know the drill. I dont care how badly I feel I still have to function at some level because no one really gets it. I honestly think my family thinks I am just putting it on and giving in and that it really cant be that bad. Harumph. They get the flu and act like the world has stopped. They dont get it when I am less than sympathetic to their illness because that is what I feel like every day!

I dont know about your body system but I cant take any of the anti-depressants. They make me worse. I have to have a mood stabilizer or two on board to feel even functional. But...at least 3 days or more out of a week I am in the bed except for giving rides. I simply dont have the gumption to do anything...even as simple as showering and getting dressed.

Keep calling the doctor until they get you on something that works. Sadly most medications take a few weeks to feel the effect.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Christie

It is hard to understand depression unless you've experienced it.

I'm glad you're calling the doctor. That is exactly what you need to do. And keep doing it until the right medication combo is found to suit you and works. But do note that medications often take awhile to work. There is no "magic pill" out there.

In the meantime, when I'm really depressed I attempt to do one thing each day. That is my goal. One thing. That might be getting dressed and fixing my hair. It might be going outside for a walk. It might be taking a shower. But by trying to do one thing I don't feel overwhelmed. And I find as I improve with the depression, 1 thing becomes 2 and so forth.

((hugs))

ChristieR

Thank you for all the advice. I sleep all night and all day, I cant even be bothered with the kids, Its so sad really. I will call the Dr,. in a few minutes when they open and talk to her.

Lothlorien

Glad to hear that you are calling the doctor. I think cutting out some of the medications was probably a good thing. Now, to just get you stable. How are you eating? Are you taking any supplements? Are you getting outside and getting sunshine or exercise?

ChristieR

No, Im pretty much staying inside on the couch sleeping or watching TV. Im taking vitamins but thats about it, Im not eating too healthy either, just whatever I can get my hands on that I dont have to cook. I just dont want to do anthing anymore,

Lothlorien

go outside! Talk a walk. Force yourself. Try to make yourself healthy foods. You have to take those steps yourself....medications aren't going to do it all for you.

Christie,

I was where you are. A year after Tink was born, I was so depressed, you could have picked me up off the floor with a blotter. All I did was mope and cry and sleep and eat crappy food. And when my husband would tell me to try to do something to get out of my depression, I would cry some more that he didn't understand.

Well, to a point he was right. Yes, depression is crippling. You do need the right combo of medications. But nobody is going to get you out of your funk but you. Try anything. Lisa had the right idea. Just one thing a day. Depression is very hard to overcome, but it is not impossible.

Many of us have been there done that. We understand.

ChristieR

They did change my medications but Im just unsure of what to do. I dont want to clean the house, thats too depresing. Im bored and I dont know what to do to get out of it.

ChristieR

Im acutally doing much better today. I took some clonapin instead of my xanax that I had from a few months ago before they switched me and I feel 10 x better. I think the xanax was bring me down a lot. Is it dangerous to just stop xanax?

ChristieR

Im not 100% but I feel a difference. Thanks for all your help and your concern. I will keep updates as to if this switch worked or not.

BusynMember

I've had debilitating depression since age thirteen. It's not your fault. It's bio-chemical. When I got depressed nothing helped and I couldn't make myself do anything. It was like I was slowed down, physically and mentally, and I had so much anxiety with it that I was afraid to go outside--that actually made me worse. medications were the only thing that helped and it took a while to find something that REALLY worked, but I kept trying. Feeling hopeless, like things will never get better, is a symptom of depression. The worst symptom for me was a horrible detached feeling of unreality, almost as if I was in a dream instead of awake--it was called depersonalization/derealization. The right antidepressant AND benzodiazapan's (I need both) took almost all the symptoms away. Prozac, Zoloft, Elavil, Tofrinil and Pamelar all either only worked maybe 50% or, at worse, gave me horrible toxic reactions so I'd have to quit. Paxil has been magic for me, but it took about twenty years of fighting depression to find it. (((Hugs))) and take care. Keep trying.

ChristieR

Wow, thats and amazing story, sound so farmiliar. Its my exact feelings, weird how things are the same for some people. I hear ya on the detachment and the hopeless feelings, they are horrible feelings,. I think I am doing better now, one day at a time I keep telling myself.
Thanks for your support

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Just be POSITIVE!!!
Doesn't that kind of PO you ??? i like that... you know I get sometimes, where I don't want to leave the house, I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), I don't get so much depressed, but I get to the point where I just don't want to deal. Know what I mean??
It is easy to give up, I find when I FORCE myself out, even for a few moments... it does help. I have taken K for walks the past few mornings. Short ones. She can't go very far, but it does help. I drink my coffee outside in the morning here, because it is nice....
Listen to the birds... these things and talking to my doctor, making my doctor's listen. Sometimes things get worse with the medications before they get better, with the changes, hang onto that. The changes take time... Do not give up.
I am here in Tucson again, last time I had a horrible panic attack and was MANIC, I am back with medication changes... doing SO much better. Knock Wood.... I am going into my 5th day...
I am rooting for you...