Still in shock, but in a good way.

DazedandConfused

I hesitate to share this for fear I will be the latest victim of the difficult child curse, but, in all honesty, I never though I would ever get to experience this as a Mother.

Son, who this year, was tested by a private neuropsychologist and had psycho educational testing by the SD, and to make a VERY long story short, was deemed to have an IQ (when the numbers were averaged) of 78. Both the neuropsychologist and the SD came up with pretty much the same results, and yes, different tests were used as to not nullify the results of the second testing.

Anyway, I’ve been warned as Son progresses though the grades, and concepts, and ideas to be learned, become more abstract, son will struggle academically (Son learns best by rote and memory). So, when it was time to transition him to middle school, much care was taken- meetings, 504 plan in place, new teachers contacted. About a month after the term starts, Son starts having anxiety attacks and becomes very aggressive towards me. Saw psychiatrist and did a medication tweak and though he’s still a PITA at times, it’s better. He ditched class twice and received lunch detentions for that and getting mouthy with one of the security people. So, it’s been up and down.

First progress report was received mid-trimester. PE-A, Math-B, Language Arts-B, Social Studies-C, Science-B. I was extremely happy with those grades!

So, two days ago I get his report card in the mail: Straight A’s.

I kept looking at it thinking there was some sort of mistake. Not my son who is suppose to struggle academically.

I take the report to work with me to show my boss (the school principal who is a former VP of a middle school). “Am I reading this correctly? Does Son have ALL As??? She confirms it and expresses her pride because he’s a former student of the school. She was also instrumental in his smooth transition to middle school.

Then I recall that of his tests and papers that he’s been showing me have been mostly 100% with a few 95% except for one that had an 85%. He’s been reading and is on his 4th book this term. So, maybe it’s really true. Then, I remember something he said offhand to me a while ago, “Mom, my goal is to get all As”. I think I mumbled back, “Okay, it’s always good to have a goal” not thinking it was achievable for him. Yes, I think it important to support, and believe in, him, but I have to be realistic. Though he does ALL of his work and turns it in (He had a major freak out the other night when he couldn’t find a math homework assignment and proceeded to dump the contents of his backpack over the entire living room floor whilst screaming and crying).

I pick Son up from school and hand the report card to him in the backseat. He reads, “A, A, A, A, A, A” and then exclaims, “OMG! Mom! I have all As”. He reads it over and over. He even has one “A pleasure to have in class, great quality of work” in the comments column. We get home and he’s skipping around the house saying, “I can’t believe I’m a straight A student”! Phone calls to Dad (out of town working), Grandma, Auntie, and Great Auntie took up the rest of the evening. He wanted to take the report card to bed with him and sleep with it (I was tempted to do that, myself).

Anyway, I just though I would share about my moment in the sun.

I overheard Son tell Daughter, “I’m a smart kid”

I’m so dang proud of that boy! :thumb: :smile:

F

flutterbee

How absolutely wonderful!!!!!! I'm doing the happy dance for you!

:xmasdancers:

I'm so proud of him and he's not even my kid! Way to go, difficult child!!!

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

jbrain

Aw, that brought tears to my eyes, that he said, "I'm a smart kid." I am thrilled for your whole family, what great news!
Jane

That brought tears to my eyes as well!

What a proud mama you must be! Give him extra hugs and kisses from his board Aunties. How wonderful!!

Star*

call 911........call 911
I cried through the whole thing - that is so wonderful!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! Smart kid! :smile:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ok. I'm a softie. I blubbered thru the whole post.

OMG! I know you've got to be busting with pride!! I'm so proud of difficult child! He set a goal, a HIGH goal at that, and made it!!! How utterly AWESOME is that??!!

Yep, let him know this board Auntie is mighty mighty proud of him!!!

:bravo: :smile: :bravo:

Now, how about letting such a smart boy pick a restaurant and take him out to dinner to celebrate? :spaghetti:

nvts

What a great thing to walk into! He's got to be the proudest kid under the sun!!!

Way to go Mom and your very determined, smart boy!!!

Beth