Tattoos

Parker

I like tattoos, but I don't have any myself. I was going to get one not too long ago, a Haida killer whale on my upper thigh, but the money was delegated to other things, funny how that happens. I like sleeve tattoos of the Japanese variety on women, you know, the type that run the entire length of an arm or even just to the elbow. Really don't like the neck or face tattoos. I think people with those type of tattoos have pretty much made a career decision to either working a coffee shop or a music shop.

Maybe some day soon I'll get one.

Anyone else?

H

HaoZi

I have 7 tats and would get more if I had the money. All are in places I can hide for an office job or show off in the right clothes. Most lean towards mythology (my first love).

Parker

Cool! When did you get the first one? If I were to get the tat on my thigh it would't be visible to anyone but my wife and myself.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I had one (at 43) and am getting another one for a Xmas present. No regrets. My SO makes me laugh - he got one, then two, then three-all mostly hidden but his recent ones were of me, our boxer, our parrot and our Jack Russell (We do have three more birds so have no clue where those are going and am not sure I would want to know) Guess they can become addicting

Marcie

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Tats can be beautiful when done by a true artist who knows what they're doing. I don't have any myself and no plans to get one. But both of my girls do. Nichole designed a few of hers to hide old cutting scars. She turned pain into meaningful beauty. :)

This is funny that you should post this today. I went to a tatoo parlor in Philly to talk about what I am getting done on Friday. I can't wait. I have this ugly butterfly on my leg for the past 31 years, I was 15. He is going to re-do it and make it into an orange and black monarch butterfly, I don't even really want a butterfly but it's the only way to fix it.

Then the new tattoo I want is the Marine globe, eagle and anchor with my brother's name and stuff. I don't know where to put it, does anyone have any ideas? I want it kind of large but not on my upper arm. The butterfly is on my calf.

Parker

I'd recommend having it done on your shoulder blade. I may have missed the meaning behind it seeing that I'm new here, but it's admirable of you.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I have three. The first one I got on my upper right hip at age 40...I had been planning it and had always wanted one but tats were not mainstream when I was coming of age. I got my second one while down in FL with my easy child...on a whim, she basically talked me into it and I do sort of regret that one. I'd like to have it brightened up a bit so I can love it, lol. The third one I designed myself and it's on my right shoulder, up high. It's not big. I love that one also. The second one is on my right outer ankle and hurt like a mother, which is why I've been putting off having it done the way I want.

difficult child has six or seven and sadly, they are very random. Some I like, others not so much. easy child has six or seven also and while I do like hers, again, they are sort of random. She does have one that is absolutely beautiful...but very BIG. It takes up one entire side, from the base of her breast all the way to the top of her hip. It is a family tree and writhing the bark of the tree there are specific symbols that represent each member of her family. It's really nice and although it's huge, I love it!

I think if you're going to put something as permanent as a tattoo on your body, you should be sure that whatever it is, you love it and it has personal meaning.

Last edited:

I think I want my new one on my other calf becaue I want it big, I really would like it on my inner wrist but that is only 2 inches. So it would be a waste of money, I was already quoted a price. by the way: This is a warning for all the girls, do not EVER get a tattoo on your stomach or hip, once you get pregnant the tattoo is just an ugly stretch mark. That's my next tattoo I need to fix.

What do you think about the inner wrist though? I just saw one done on the tattoo reality show...awesome.

Tiapet

Old Hand
I have no tattoos but there is history behind them with those in my family, my ex, and I now oldest difficult child is considering it. Body art, as she calls it, for her has always been body modification in the form of piercing. She enjoys it immensely. I have no understanding of why she does, though I have tried. She currently has 9 maybe 10 piercings at the moment. She never desired tattoos and didn't like them but suddenly she now wants one but ONLY to express a very personal statement and it will be in Latin on her foot. She loves her words.

My ex was a canvas and loved his ink. He was the first one who explained to me the idea that once you start with tattoos very often you get "ink in your blood" or rather a taste of the ink and you just want more of it and for many it causes them to seek more. Not all but it does happen. His tattoos were expressions of his children (though I don't know anymore if "all" are now represented), things that occurred in his life, etc.

My sister got her first tat when she was 16 with signed parental consent. My mother was in a phase of BiPolar (BP) and let this happen. My sister does not regret it as this too is her personality and at the time it was a butterfly. Later in life as she had children she added their names and birthdates. She then added one in rembrance of our grandfather and our father and I believe she has even more but since I really don't talk or see her much I can't honestly say what she has now. I do know she has the "taste" for it.

My mother now has 2 tattoos. Hers are pure rebellion ones, again done in a state of BiPolar (BP) at the time that she might not otherwise have done so impulsively. She was raised in a very strict religious home and could not do much in life. Her father had died many years ago. Back in 2006 she lost both her mother and then 6 months later my father. A year later things were still not so great in her mind and she was living out many rebellions over a lifetime held back and she was nearly 60! She sort of regrets them now as she did not take the time to pick a good artist (something both my ex and sister DID do). Her's just look withered and old on top of skin that was already aged.

So that's my story and how, yes, ink does get in your blood and beyond what I was told by ex I later heard from others that it does happen. Your body is a canvas, it's your choice to do what you choose....or not. Choose wisely in your artist to be sure they do good work and have portfolio to show you and people to speak with and are licensed to do so.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I don't have one but would like to get one, however, I hate pain so much I don't know if I'll ever get one!

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
The shoulder blade is going to HURT. I have two small roses nestled somewhere above my waist :) (Imagination needed) It didn't hurt in the least, but then again it wasn't over any bone. SO is getting me one as a Xmas present so have to decide what I want.

Marcie

KTMom91

I have two...and both were done when I was in my 30's. I love the one on my ankle (even thought it HURT) but the one on my tummy has kind of faded.

buddy

LOL, upallnight! My sister got a beautiful lily on her stomach and that thing really bloomed with each pregnancy and now it's kind of.....well, wilting. Both of my sisters who have lower calf tats regret them. One because the design ended up looking more gang symbol (and we know not of that world ) and many people have said scary things ....less so now at her mid thirties age but especially so when late teens.
Q really wants one some day. I told him he could when he gets a job and can pay for it. But now he knows it involves needles so he is too worried about the pain. At least once per week we go through his usual questioning way.....Do you think it hurts more than a flu shot? What about a blood test? Can I use the cream that makes shots not hurt (EMLA cream)? Omgosh over and over ......

Parker

This is what I was thinking of getting.
Killer_Whale_1236198582.jpg
What do you think?

DammitJanet

UAN, when Jamie was in the Marines I really wanted Tony, Jamie and I to get matching small Eagle Globe and Anchors with his initials under them. We didnt because I am scared to death of pain and Tony isnt a tattoo person. We were going to put them right above our hearts. I think that is the perfect place for that particular symbol. It is easily covered or you can show it off with a tank top. Though I wouldnt want to wear a tank...lol.

Jamie does have one small tat on his upper left shoulder that is supposed to be of the head of a Gamecock rooster because when he was young we raised roosters. However it looks more like the Kelloggs chicken. Cory has two. One is really nice and is a cross on his left arm, the other was done in jail and it says DBC which is the initials for name of the group of young boys that grow up together along our road. They like to think they are some sort of gang but they are just pranksters who hardly know each other but might spray paint the road or toss a firecracker in a mailbox on the 4th of July. This has been going on for at least the last 30 years or more and I thought we had run out of boys but I just noticed an old barn was spray painted last week...lol. It stands for Deep Branch Crew. I use the name as my football team on fantasy football...lmao. All the 12-16 year olds seem to do this then they find other things to amuse themselves.