The Change ...

shellyd67

So, I think it is official and I am beginning the early stages of menopause ...

I have alot of the symptoms such as terrible mood swings, night sweats, slight hot flashes, irregular periods, forgetfulness, etc ..

I was actually pleased to find that I had the symptoms and that I am not going crazy LOL

I spoke with my Mom this morning about it and she said from what she remembers, it was fairly easy for her and I am hoping I follow in suit.:9-07tears:

Any advice or tips are always welcome ...
husband gave me a big hug and said he felt relieved cause he thought I was going crazy too !!:rofl:

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Shelly, I hope it is easy for you!

But let me say this... I had many of those symptoms, too. Freaked me out (BAD), because at the time I was 36! It turned out to be a combo of anxiety & stress. doctor put me on Lexapro, and most of the symptoms vanished.

HOWEVER, I looked at your signature, and it is possible! So I repeat that I hope it's easy!

DammitJanet

Oh I can so relate! I think I am in the throws of it but I cant be sure because I had a hysterectomy in 2004 so I cant go by periods! I asked my doctor to check my levels last time I was there but I dont know if they did or not because they were doing a bunch of other things too and when I called to ask how my blood work came back they said okay.

I have horrible mood swings that my MS's arent controlling. I think I am residing in hell and I dont think we are going to need the furnace this winter. My AC is on as I type this. I start dripping sweat for no reason. We already know Im crazy so that doesnt help. LOL.

BusynMember

Antidepressants are GREAT for symptoms. I've been through the change and I have been on Paroxatene for so many years. I had literally no symptoms at all, certainly no mood swings or hot flashes or any of the worst stuff. I did feel hot a lot of the time, but it wasn't a hot flash...just more like body temp dysregulation so I opened the windows a lot when it was a cooooooold Wisconsin night....lol. Hub would get mad.

It doesn't have to be bad. Maybe it's hereditary too. My mom told me she had three hot flashes and no other symptoms at all, and shes WASN'T on medication!

buddy

I will be paying attention to this closely. Remember anyone? the day Q went to the hospital I wondered if I got a hot flash, it went on my arms and chest and sometimes my whole body. It still happens on and off, I wasn't sure if it was hot flashes, seemed weird to start right on the car ride to the hospital! But I have not had my cycle since. Like it suddenly stopped. I still think I am under more stress than usual so maybe that is influencing this, but it is really odd to have it just hit like this I think, Quin's doctor thought I was young to totally stop but some of you say you did earlier. I mean, I was totally regular, no symptoms of peri-menopause, then boom. I did just turn 48, (guess I should update, lol). Any natural things to help keep things on a more even level?

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Me too! I will 49 at the end of this month and all my sisters before me stopped getting their periods at about 50...so I am hopeful.

In regards to symptoms, I have tried The Chillow for night sweats (helped), I've tried daily walking/workout where I actually sweat (helped), cutting back on sugar and caffiene (helped) and I take supplements: Evening Primrose/Borage/Flax oil combo - definitely helps with bloating and a bit with moods and regularity (some women have that problem, lucky me, I am one of them). And more recently, Prozac - it has helped considerably with my crazy mood swings and lashing out at strangers - ugh that was startling. You may recall that I flipped out on a guy at the Mobil station for blocking the parking lot (I was over the top scary, but still feel he deserved it!).

I have night sweats about the week before I'm due for my period. I have hot flashes occasionally but they are irregular. Bloating is crazy the week before and I have trouble sleeping. All of those symptoms are related to perimenopause. I've skipped a couple of months here and there, but for the most part I am still very regular, 28-30 days, except this month. I'm at day 35 and I'm guessing that this will be a month where I will skip, which means that I will have this chip on my shoulder for another cycle! HAHAHA - I laugh maniacally too! I am particularly mean to H when I'm PMS-ing. I can't figure that out. Why him?

Oh yah, and my sex drive has decreased. It comes and goes, but mostly I am too tired anymore. Good times.

You are definitely NOT alone!

DammitJanet

Jo...sex drive? Could you explain that term? I have heard of drive in's and drive thru's but I am not familiar with a sex drive!

shellyd67

I forgot to add that I have horrible breakouts on my chin and behind my ears. Apparently I am told that breakouts on thin chin area are hormonal ???

Anyhow H&R, here is a list of freak outs that I have had in the last few months:

The car wash ( I can never return due to embarrassment for snapping on the guy waving you in)

Volleyball (I flipped on my teammate for telling me where to stand )

My sister in law ( I laid her out and called her stupid)

Countless freak outs on the kids and husband ...

Whew ! I feel better just admitting this ... LOL

M

ML

I too was early. I had symptoms in my early 40s and was done completely by 44/45. You might try some progesterone cream that you can get at health food store. I seem to recall that helped. I also wanted to assure you that once you get to the other side it really gets better. I don't know if it is that your body gets used to the lesser amount of estrogen or what, but you adjust and regain some of what you've lost (in terms of memory, fatigue, mood balance). Hang in there!

witzend

I have been going through this for at least 12 years now. I keep hoping it's over with, then out of nowhere I have a period again. I'm so sick of it I could just scream. I have had brutal periods from the time I was a young girl. I got some relief with the pill, but then it turns out that I have a blood clotting disorder and can't take any kind of hormones at all. I'm ready to be fat and wrinkly if I can just be past zits, cramps, diarrhea and mood swings. I'd even be happy to be the b---- that I am that time of the month (year) forever if I just knew that was what I was going to be for the rest of my life!

My theory on the change is this - we're born as children. Then we become women. Then we grow beards, get chubby, our voices fall an octave, and when our periods finally stop we become men without the benefits of having been men who earned more and got a better chance at everything all our lives because we were men.

InsaneCdn

I forgot to add that I have horrible breakouts on my chin and behind my ears. Apparently I am told that breakouts on thin chin area are hormonal ???

Anyhow H&R, here is a list of freak outs that I have had in the last few months:

The car wash ( I can never return due to embarrassment for snapping on the guy waving you in)

Volleyball (I flipped on my teammate for telling me where to stand )

My sister in law ( I laid her out and called her stupid)

Countless freak outs on the kids and husband ...

Whew ! I feel better just admitting this ... LOL

You mean... THIS is what my problem is?
Given that I've got quite a few years up on you...
You mean this just might be normal? Abnormal hormonal normal?

ummm... hmmm... <scratches head>

Lothlorien

Vitex

It's a vitamin supplement found at health food stores. I've been dealing with symptoms for the past 5 years. Appx. three years ago, health food guru told me about Vitex. Take it for about a month and symptoms disappear. When they return, take it again for a few weeks and symptoms are gone. I had the worst night sweats and wicked hot flashes, but once I started taking it, within a few weeks the symptoms were gone. It's all natural. Wonderful product.