The elephant in the room for all with abusive relatives

2much2recover

After reading what you are writing here - some kind of explanation screams forth - perhaps your children inherited these awful DNA genes from these repulsive family members. Maybe everything you have been fighting for/against is just born/bred in the child.
I am enjoying reading your stories (not in a morbid way) because it helps to explain more about how dysfunctional DNA runs in families and there is little to nothing we can do about it. These DNA qualities may have not affected you per se, maybe other siblings (my case) is the carrier of the "awful" DNA. Maybe you, like me, are the survivors, able to rise above the craziness going on around you and have STRONG good DNA that allows you to live a normal life. One way to look at is to count your blessings that it is not YOU that has been dealt the hand of this awful DNA (even though you may have had to continue to deal with it through your difficult child) At least you are not a crazy and hurtful human being! Yes, just being forced to survive it is bad enough, but to have the ability to eventually rise above it shows strength of character for sure.

BusynMember

Headlights, this is certainly the case with 37. But my other children were adopted and are extremely awesome people. 37 is not half as bad as he could have been. But, yes, a lot of what our children become is, in my opinion, inherited. And scientists are beginning to agree that personality disorders run in families, even if the child is adopted into a "normal" family and has had no contact with her DNA collection. My DNA horror story is the reason why my ex and I decided not to have anymore biological children. We could tell early that 37 would have temperament issues. In our case, the decision was basically a GREAT one. There is Julie, Sonic and Jumper, all the sweetest young adults on the face of the earth.

My saving grace was being the black sheep so not so included. Also, at a very young age, I had an uncanny ability to analyze human behavior and I knew by age six that something was not right with myself (I had sooooooooo much anxiety and sadness...probably inherited) and my parents were soooooooooo not like those of my friends. I used to have fantasies that I was adopted and that my "real" family would come for me. But I looked just like my mother, something I still don't like...lol. In my heart I knew I was part of that DNA mess. I tried very hard to overcome my genetics a nd I believe people can change, but your hardwiring is what it is and it takes A LOT OF HARD WORK to learn how to be so-called normal if you are differently wired and, on top of it, never lived with what is supposed to be normal...thanks for your comments.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Also, at a very young age, I had an uncanny ability to analyze human behavior and I knew by age six that something was not right with myself (I had sooooooooo much anxiety and sadness...probably inherited) and my parents were soooooooooo not like those of my friends. I used to have fantasies that I was adopted and that my "real" family would come for me. But I looked just like my mother, something I still don't like...lol. In my heart I knew I was part of that DNA mess. I tried very hard to overcome my genetics a nd I believe people can change, but your hardwiring is what it is and it takes A LOT OF HARD WORK to learn how to be so-called normal if you are differently wired and, on top of it, never lived with what is supposed to be normal

I could make that exact same comment MWM, even thinking I was adopted and my real parents would come for me! I started my own healing process in the 7th grade because I "knew" something was very wrong with my family. AND it was not only a lot of hard work to learn how to be "normal" it turned out to be my life's work. With 22 years of active therapy, hundreds of workshops, books, teachers, spiritual counselors.......endless searching for the truth, I made a turnaround and life changed dramatically, as yours did. Mental illness, conduct disorders and/or mental or emotional anomalies that run in families are exceedingly challenging to overcome, but not impossible. Now when I look behind me, I see the very fertile ground in which I grew to be who I am, all those agonizing lessons.......... in particular the more recent ones with my daughter taught me the most valuable lessons of my life.....detachment, allowing, non judgement and acceptance, which, as you know, changes ones life in every possible way.......... for the better. Getting there is a strange and arduous journey.......and yet, at this vantage point, all of that suffering was a gift which lead to a miraculous recovery.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Thanks for the articles 2m2r. Yes, I have known that I am an Empath, thankfully, for a long time......very good to know so we can learn ways to stay grounded.

BusynMember

RE, sounds as if we are very much alike. Which, in my case, is why my family or origin (DNA collection) were so uncomfortable around me. They knew I saw. Even if I didn't say anything, they knew. And when I did say something that was taboo, which was anything negative about the way we interacted, that made one or another of my DNA collections go ballistic and tell me how it was me.

I have kind of enjoyed my lifetime journey of learning about people, life, myself, my DNA collection...I am very interested in what makes people tick. And I am grateful to be one of the people who does not feel tied or obligated to people who are DNA connected to me because so many people in my opinion waste their lives trying to please them when all they get is abuse and criticism. I can see it clearly and I want to correct everyone who does it, or at least ask them why they do, but that is rude and intrusive. So I just wonder why and keep on people watching. And when they complain to me about Sis, Bro, Mom, Dad, Kid etc. I just nod my head, except in here. I *want* to say, "If you want to hang around them, yes, you will be treated like crapola." But that isn't what they want to hear. They just want to vent so I just nod and wonder why they can't figure it out if I did. It's not like I'm a rocket scientist ;)

recoveringenabler

Staff member
I understand MWM, I have had similar experiences. I think denial, wanting to believe what we want to believe rather then the truth, is for some people a very powerful pull. It has been painful for me when I am confronted with that denial.....in some cases, I had to retreat and walk away from people I love........and practice "radical acceptance" realizing I have absolutely no control over another. That lesson comes in many different disguises, not just with our kids and our families.

As I got older and hopefully a tad wiser, I began to recognize the signs where others choose to stay in their own version of reality.......it got a lot easier for me to just let go.......but it was very hard when I was younger.

I too am interested in what makes people "tick." And, I also feel monumentally grateful that I don't feel tied or obligated to my bio family, after many, many experiences of having to let go, it did get easier.

Many years ago I read a book which had a quote that in many ways turned it around for me and simply explained the choice we have (for me anyway) and that quote is, "Argue for your limitations and guess what? You get to keep them." It gave me an insight into the fact that we choose our experience of life........as in that other quote, "misery is optional." Certainly not to say that life doesn't have tragedy in it.......I've had a lot of tragedy.......but it is a choice to define our lives out of those tragedies.

At this point in my life, I choose to hang out with folks who feel the same way I do, not to say I'm right, or wrong, but for me, energetically we "radiate" what is inside of us and because I am so sensitive, I pick up on that "radiation" and it harms me, so I keep my boundaries very well maintained. And, I learned that in my bio family because so many of them are people I cannot be around because of their toxicity. As I separated from their sphere of influence, my life improved in every possible way. This last go around with my daughter was the topper......and that's what changed everything for me. And, the irony for me is that she "seems" to be changing too. Remarkable.

You're very wise MWM. And I know that wisdom has come from a lot of struggles and suffering........yet you've come out the other side of it with an ability to experience the joys of life in a deep and meaningful way. I admire you for all the work you've done on yourself and how you've overcome so many obstacles. It is more rare than I think you realize...........it is so much to be grateful for.

BusynMember

Many years ago I read a book which had a quote that in many ways turned it around for me and simply explained the choice we have (for me anyway) and that quote is, "Argue for your limitations and guess what? You get to keep them." It gave me an insight into the fact that we choose our experience of life........as in that other quote, "misery is optional." Certainly not to say that life doesn't have tragedy in it.......I've had a lot of tragedy.......but it is a choice to define our lives out of those tragedies.
I thank you very much, RE. I also feel YOU are wise and lucky to be so.

I love the quotes from this book. We do choose our life experience. We CAN choose NOT to be miserable. We CAN decide to choose happiness and peace. I am wondering what the name of this book is. I'd love to read it.

I am so glad that I have learned that it is MY choice to be happy and nobody can take that from me unless I allow it. Just think of all the toxic people who controlled us before we got here? Wild!

Thanks for all you do here. I feel a very close bond and understanding with a few of the posters here and you and Cedar are two that I feel totally in sync with...like if we all met it would be as if we have known one another forever. I am grateful to both of you and to others that add quality to my life. I have an extreme prejudice toward deep thinkers ;)

Scent of Cedar *

Cedar, I didn't realize how horrible it was until I distanced myself because I was used to her

I still miss my family. It isn't that I don't want them in my life, it is that I never had them in the way I wanted them. The things I excused again and again, the times we did have that were kind of crummy, that were a little weird and inappropriate...that was what was real.

All the rest was hope.

Or misplaced faith.

But I am happy I believed and tried and walked the path I chose. I don't quite understand why my heart is no longer open to them. I felt nothing but puzzled, when my sister called. I could not generate warmth or even, curiosity.

In a way, that is very sad.

How will anything change, if there is no one to believe the change into reality, if we all just turn away?

It is very hard on the husband (or the wife), when the spouse's family of origin is dysfunctional.

We never talked so much about that ~ about husband's rage at having to be polite, or at having to watch the underlying patterns, or at being "muzzled" as he phrases it. It was hard on him; very hard on our marriage.

I don't have an answer for that one.

I love our sharing sessions. Reminds me of pajama parties when I was little and we girls shared which boy we liked

I am deeply grateful for your honesty and compassion to me. Through your stories, through the things I write here that I never talk about with anyone, not even husband (who is about ready to explode with how fixated I get on this stuff) I am breaking through barriers of such depth that I did not know they existed.

Maybe others who read this can learn from it and get out of Dodge earlier than we did. I hope so.

I hope so too, with all my heart. This site is anonymous. We are sincere, we are right here, and we will listen and share our own stories with you. If there is someone reading along, please feel free to chime in. Healing may be a long time coming, but it changes everything.

Suddenly, as deep as you want to take it...there will be no shame. No anger. Nothing to protect.
That is what freedom feels like, for those of us who'd never suspected we were imprisoned.

When my sister put me on cut off, I was chastised and saddened and felt so guilty because, of course, she did it because I was so horrible.

That is how I felt, too. As though inability to establish and maintain relationship were due to some intrinsic flaw in me which I can neither name nor understand. There is a poem about the center not holding.

It was like that.

So many things in my life have conspired to put me here, in this emotionless place of lost faith, of no purpose.

I feel very much a separate entity.

But I cannot unsee it.

I asked if he missed her. He said, "Not at all."

Perhaps that time will come for me.

In the time when I was so deeply under the influence of my family's toxicity, I was ashamed, all the time. They say that numbing anger, swallowing rage, saying nothing, turns those negative emotions back onto us, where they express as self contempt. The dynamic there has something to do with whose perspective we believe. The abuser's, whom we have habitually believed, or our own. The battle is to recover our own perspective; to believe, not in the primacy of self, but in the primacy of self interpretation. To do that, to learn who we are and to leave behind us the roles, the separate selves we have nurtured to keep our dysfunctional families working requires a time of suspension of belief; it requires both time alone and the presence of a safe witness, to bring us through that time when everything is suspect, that time when we cannot believe it could have been what it was and is.

We are rethinking every value we were taught mattered, and every true thing we believed about what mattered, about who we were and who we have a right to aspire to be.

That is why the world looks so different once we have done the work and made it through to the other side.

We no longer see ourselves through the eyes, through the valance, of the abuser. They begin to look foolish, and pointlessly, stupidly, cruel.

But we love them. These are our people. Seeing them in that way feels wrong. We begin to fall away from it, which is why we require safe witness. I have learned though that we seem to require increasing levels of complexity and understanding in those who witness for us.

One way or another, we have learned to function in spite of. In spite of contempt, in spite of shame, in spite of what it was to be discounted or actively hated by those whose honor it should have been to love us.

How strange, and how sad for me, and for all of us, that this is so.

But...how will anything change if those who can see the family dysfunctions for what they are no longer have the will to confront it?

I am surprised at how nasty we all can be, surprised at the places we are blind, at the things we refuse to see, at the ways we twist and choose the facts. At the senselessness of trying to make sense of any of it in the end. What they say is true: the energy of love, without judgment, is the force required. Unconditional love, unconditional positive regard is the healing force required.

I believe in that with my whole heart, and always have.

But since difficult child daughter's beating I feel differently about everything. I've described it as a loss of faith. Part of that loss is that I no longer believe the hurtful things we do to one another are innocent or thoughtless.

It took me six months of dating this man in a mostly friendly way to get it into my head that he wasn't horrible for shunning his family and family events.

It's confusing, and requires time. I don't see how anything can get better this way, but I cannot seem to generate either warmth or curiosity for them.

I feel I am letting myself down in not holding strong, for them.

I want to leave them behind, not think about them at all, anymore.

He said he did not love his abusers. They could die tomorrow and he wouldn't care.

I am having a protracted look at this now. My mother is 84. The answer to that one is that none of us knows how old we are. I could be killed in an accident tomorrow, and it would turn out that I was older than my mother, after all, because I was closer to death. Her age cannot be an excuse, a threat.

It's all very ugly.

He didn't WISH them dead, but just admitted that he honestly wouldn't miss them as they were a source of trauma to him

I think that is how I feel, too.

When my sister did call, I wondered and wondered why she was calling...what did she want?
In the past, I would have felt joy, felt that little "this is how it's supposed to be." Without that? I could not imagine why she was calling.
It is sad to me that this should be so. But I see the sadness from a distance, now. Regret that things are what they are, but no more than that.

I never had what I thought I had.

In fact, those people are rats. ("Oh, you dirty rats." says James Cagney in my voice. Gun at the ready...but do I want to be my mom? Even in my James Cagney disguise...do I want to turn away, do I want to condemn the others simply for being human, do I want to be my mother....)

This is the central question. If I become my mother, if I adopt her belief system...then there is no purpose to any of this.

And all that is left is the ugliness.

I thought it was my duty as a daughter to always make sure I was looking after them, even if they didn't look after me or my kids. Even if they'd abused me.

OH FOR SURE. IT WAS A PRIMARY DUTY. MY SELF WORTH IS BOUND UP IN THAT.

And my sense of purpose.

My Christmas wish for all of us is the gift of loving ourselves and the people who matter to us.

Thank you, pasajes. This is lovely.

:O)

It is generous and kind to be good to yourself, both for yourself and so you can function well for those REAL loved ones in your life.

I am beginning to learn this true thing. At first, it is difficult to know what that means ~ to be good to ourselves. I found self worth in ballet, in martial arts, in my writing. In loving my children. They still seem like miracles to me, though everything is so messed up and difficult child son is mad at me all the time.

In the growing, changing, kaliedescopic relationship I have to husband.

One way to look at is to count your blessings that it is not YOU that has been dealt the hand of this awful DNA (even though you may have had to continue to deal with it through your difficult child

I think about this, especially where our daughter is concerned. It tears my heart out to see her in such pain, in so much danger, unable to stay true to herself or stop the trajectory once it starts again.

I am overwhelmingly grateful we are all still alive, so grateful that the story is not ended.

Cedar

I think denial, wanting to believe what we want to believe rather then the truth, is for some people a very powerful pull.

Truth is difficult to pin down.

But you are right, Recovering. I have not been able to change a thing with my insistence that we can believe change into reality.

Just the opposite.

Had I not foolishly believed in the good, in the second chance, the beating may never have occurred.

I am trying very hard to come awake.

I do not see the value in turning away. I no longer see the value in not turning away.

It is very, very quiet, in this place I am.

Cedar

BusynMember

Cedar....I do not miss my DNA collection at all.

I miss the family I never had. I don't miss the people who actually are related to me DNA-wise. I miss not having had a warm, loving family. Those people don't exist. They never did.