The importance of reality shows and why we watch them

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I can't do most of the reality shows. I get the escapism of watching them, I really do, but it's just not for me. The ones I do watch are Ghost Hunters, Project Runway (love Tim Gunn), and the occasional Food Network challenge show (Top Chef or Chopped, but not a fan of the cupcake-y shows). I do remember when the first couple of seasons of "The Real World" aired back in the 80s.. I found it absolutely fascinating because it *was* real .. but now? They're all too staged and manipulated for me. I admit, however, that occasionally I'm drawn in by shows like "Duck Dynasty" ... it's so crazy!

I admit I like dramatic shows with darker themes. Breaking Bad, Mad Men and The Wire are some of my favorite shows of all time.

witzend

CVA - It sounds like you and I could veg out in front of the tv together and be happy as peas in a pod most any time!

SuZir

Yes, I agree, on some of them it's not nice how they are treated or shown (edited either). I can't control that and perhaps watching them is supporting it but I doubt my 1 person non watching is going to change it as a whole.

My real problem with watching them is not so much about supporting them or not. They just make me really uncomfortable, embarrassed for people in them and feeling sorry for their parents. So watching them is just not enjoyable for me.

I do understand that many who like to watch find them relaxing. For me they are not like that and that is why I don't like them at all and don't watch. I relax better when watching some well written (and acted) scripted show I can really get into.

Jody

Oh my gosh the list is long, Love AI, Survivor, Bachelor/Bachelorette, BB, Glass House, I like the one where they do the crab fishing, I like storage wars. i also like Chef Ramsey and all of the other cooking shows. I like Biggest Loser and the other one where they follow the overweight person for a year. I love any of the out in the wild, and other wilderness adventure ones. Love love love them. lol. I am definately a reality show junkie.

DammitJanet

If any one is watching Lizard Lick Towing...please dont think we are all like that in NC! "Easier than a fat tick on a lazy dog" my fat white butt! lol.

Kathy813

Staff member
Don't worry, Janet. Honey boo boo is going to make Georgia look like the most redneck state in the union. I just saw the commercial for the first time. OMG!! I have lived in Georgia for over 30 years and I have never met anyone like the family in that show.

~Kathy

DammitJanet

Honey Boo Boo is certainly not a good representation of pageant children. I have just decided to put McKenzie in some local small pageants here that are fairly cheap to enter and you dont have to have those expensive dresses to enter. I wouldnt spend thousands on a dress unless she was going to see the Queen of England and Im not even sure if I would do it then...lol. McKenzie is cute enough without spending a ton of money. The first pageant the entry fee is $5 and the beauty wear is a tee shirt and denim bottoms. Now of course you can spice them up. I think I will find a cute little tee shirt that is fancy and a denim skirt all lacy. Poor Mckenzie is still wearing a size 6 months at 9 months...lmao. She can actually fit into 3 to 6 months! She is a short little girl. By the time she is going to the fall pageants she will be walking and she will be looking like a baby up there...lol. I have to find little glitz dresses for her for the semi glitz pageants in 6-9 sizes...lmao. Not easy. The good thing about that is they are about 15 bucks. One good thing is if I can go get a bunch of people to "give her good wishes" for a buck a piece, then she wins more titles, trophies and even a quilt with her name on it. she can even get her entry fee paid. Believe me I am going to go try to get try to get good wishes....lmao.

Lothlorien

I haven't seen that show Janet, but most of us feel that way about Jersey Shore, Jerseylisous (sp?) and Jersey Housewives. Stereotypical of a lot, but not the norm, for sure!