There is Karma.

Steely

Oh..........you gotta love the "crack berry". I have never seen so many people addicted.......I find it beyond annoying........although I think I have fallen victim to it as well.

DammitJanet

I dont like blackberry's. They force their users to pay a monthly fee to use them! Plus...why have a blackberry without web browsing? I have seen people get a blackberry on pay to go plans without web enabled service! Dumb...lol. Palms are just as handy and the new android phones are even better. I would have gone that route but I only wanted one I could have done what I needed to do with it and the Instinct served my purposes. I could hack it to tether it free without purchasing extra software and it is easy to use.

Lothlorien

I love my cell phone, but I can live without it. I don't get a lot of calls on it. Most people call me at home. husband is the one who calls me the most on my cell, but a few friends might call. Most of my friends have my cell number and I have theirs, but unless it's urgent, we usually just leave a message on their home number or send an email. I like texting....it's great for sending husband a list of a few things to get on his way home. It's useful for saving time, but if I send 10/20 texts a month, it's a lot. I suppose if I worked out of the home 40+ hours, I'd probably use it a lot more, but since I work from home, I don't use it that often. I have been on the phone at a checkout, when it was important, but I acknowledge the person that is checking me out and if I can't get off the phone while they are checking me out, I usually apologize. I've been on the checkout with Missy's neurologist, when I was waiting all day for the call. She just happened to call then and I would rather have taken the call then have to wait another 12 to 24 hours for her to call me back. Know what I mean??

However, speaking loudly and rudely is ridiculous and obnoxious.

I have to tell you, when I was much younger, I dated this guy who had one of the first cell phones, you know the big phone with the big battery and atenna? I was mortified when we'd go to diner and his phone would ring. EVERYONE wouldn stop and look at us. Now, it seems so commonplace.

I was in a restaraunt, recently, when the dad was with his family. Through the entire dinner, he was on the phone several times. Now, my husband is on-call frequently with his business, but if he was getting that many phone calls during dinner, he would have gone out to the car to deal with it. I didn't get the impression that this was on-call business. Not only was this rude to his family, but it was rude to the other diners. He wasn't speaking softly either. I found it to be quite obnoxious.

I worked in retail for years and years. I always ran after people who left their stuff behind, but I think I might have done the same in your case.

I have been in stores where I've left things behind and know I lingered around a little. I was quite ticked that I wasn't given the same courtesy, and I wasn't on the phone or being rude.

svengandhi

I use my cell to coordinate meeting my friend for the train, to text my daughter at college and to talk to my kids. Otherwise, I use the home phone or make my calls at work.

Funny thing is, when I was growing up, people who walked around talking to themselves were thought to be "off." Now, they are just on their cell phones!

skeeter

Ok - Blackberry user here.

I don't actually talk on the phone all that much. I use text, but usually its a quick thing. When oldest was in the Navy, often text was the only way to stay in communication with him (text will often go through when voice won't).

When youngest was still in school and not driving, I would text him "I'm here" when coming to pick him up from play practice, etc.

We have a shared plan. 4 phones, 2 are BB. 2000 peak minutes, 1000 M to M minutes, unlimited other times. Unlimited text. Both BB are unlimited data (I piggyback on husband for $15 a month). I also have GPS on my BB, and have used that a lot when traveling. My work calendar and notes are synced to it. People at work also have the number, and use it in emergencies. We both have Curves because we wanted QWERTY keyboards and both hate touchscreens.

husband also has Bluetooth in his car, but he always forgets to turn it on.

I always STOP and go to the side while talking or texting on it, even when walking. I did a "potty posting" at work on the dangers of texting and you wouldn't believe the stats on people walking into things while texting. In London, a cell provider actually paid to have foam (with their logo) put around light posts!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Before husband's sister divorced her hubby, we'd sit around text each other at family gatherings at the Broom Closet. I think that's why I didn't used to mind them quite so much....

trinityroyal

I used to have a Blackberry primarily for work, but I found it so intrusive (e.g. clients sending me e-mail at 3 a.m. AND being angry when I didn't reply right away!), I got rid of it.

As for phone calls, no one has my home number OR work number. Everyone phone's my cell, and I just forward it to the house when I'm here, or to my office phone when I'm there. Saves the call charges, and everyone only has to remember one number, myself included. I don't even know my office phone number...have to look it up or phone the receptionist to get it...

DazedandConfused

Janet you have the same exact plan as husband and I. I just upgraded from a Palm 755 to a Palm Pre.

I'm another one that really likes having a cell phone. I text too and love how easily I can keep up with the difficult children. husband is gone a lot and I sometimes send him cute or funny pictures from home. He likes it because it keeps him connected. He will send me pictures from all over the country. He is the one I speak to mostly. Otherwise, I don't talk a lot on it. I love having the GPS too!

I was in a store the other day and a lady was sending pictures of various items of clothing to her sister she was thinking about purchasing for her niece. It things like this that makes them so convenient.

However, I do think people do act rudely. I would never blab away while being waited on in line. I certainly wouldn't text while on the toilet!

I've had a cell phone since the days when they came in a bag one had to carry around. Sure is easier to carry them around these days.

I will also admit that I will text my kids when they are in the other room when I need them for dinner, etc. :redface:

Star*

call 911........call 911
I just got a Samsung FLIGHT.......and I'm prone to tapping and texting YOU.....lol....(insert evil hahaha) Snotty Bubby should have gotten a text today....didn't you my lovely boy? (yesh him did - good boy)

KTMom91

Miss KT and I text a lot. I find it convenient when I need to tell her something, ask her to do something, etc., and it's a lot better than shouting through the house. She'll lose a grocery list, but always has her phone. I text Hubby throughout the day if I have something to tell him that doesn't require an immediate response.

Son #2 put my favorite song on my phone for me, since it wasn't available as a ringtone. My previous phone played Winnie the Pooh. If I forgot to silence it before subbing, the kids got a kick out of it.

DammitJanet

LOL...I forgot how convenient they were for calling from one end of the house to the other to tell someone to come here. Personal intercoms! Im always calling Tony if I am laying in bed or I cant find him somewhere in the house when I am looking for him. Instead of yelling...I just hit that number.