There's less than a week until US Thanksgiving!

Kathy813

Staff member
I, too, cooked the giblet bag inside of my first turkey. I was cooking dinner for my college boyfriend and had never cooked a turkey before. Evidently, the heat made the bag start melting through the skin. When I opened the oven to check on the turkey, I noticed words appearing on its back. I didn't realize there was a bag inside with directions on it. I called my boyfriend to the kitchen and we watched spellbound to see what it would say thinking it was a message from God or something. We watched until we could make out the first words . . .

Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees.

:rofl:

DDD & Nancy, I understand your feelings completely. My mom stopped putting up a tree after my dad died and I couldn't understand why she would do that. Now, I just look at putting up the tree as work and would probably stop if we weren't having our annual Christmas party. I put up a lot less decorations than I used to and haven't bought any new ones in years.

I guess you could just call me Scrooge.

~Kathy

svengandhi

Years ago, before any of us were married, I was hosting TDay in my tiny basement apartment in Queens. Now H referred to the place as "The Black Hole of Calcutta." Anyway, my best friend and I bought this giant turkey, shlepped it home, cleaned it, seasoned it, stuffed it and then - couldn't get it into the stove because it was too big! We wound up calling my friend's brother, who came and got us and our turkey and fixings and took us to his mom's house, where she finished cooking the bird.

Last year, we ordered in because daughter was running in a turkey trot. It was great - we ate at 2 PM instead of 2 AM and had time to relax before dessert. This year, she isn't running as she's still recuperating from ACL surgery but we ordered in . We are just going to make chicken soup with matzoh balls because I insist that H (who isn't even Jewish) make them for every holiday.

Last year, we had another funny experience. I had just brought my 90+ year old aunt out to stay with us. After dinner, I brought out one of my prize possessions - a framed photo of grandma. I showed it to my aunt, who looked at it and said "Why did you frame a picture of the lady who lived down the hall from us?" Somewhere, I guess there is a family wondering why they have a photo of my grandma. Also, after dinner the boys were watching History Channel while my aunt dozed on the couch. She work up suddenly during a WWII show and yelled out "What's with that Hitler? Don't tell me he's back again..." She was a WAC so I guess she hoped it had been done right the first time.