this is going to sound like a stupid question

K

Kjs

Is BO a sign of puberty? You all know I have been really worried about difficult child. As of December, full physical and blood work. No signs of puberty at age 14.

He has been so very tired lately and I was hoping nothing was wrong. He normally isn't one that sleeps in. Up by 9.

Last night, omg - he KNEW he smelled, kept saying, smell me, come on smell me - smells like onions!!!!. difficult child was never a smelly kid.

Although I am afraid of the coming years, I feel so bad that he is so small compared to all the other High School kids. Short and putting on weight. 40 pounds in the past year without growing any taller.

Jena

fasten your seatbelt!! :) i'Tourette's Syndrome a sign of pre puberty those little hormones are kicking up. difficult child started that about 6 mos. ago i thought wow early at 9. who knows......

slsh

member since 1999
Yep, LOL. Good luck! I still can't get my 14 y/o easy child to put on deodorant on a regular basis. Throw in a wicked growth spurt on his part and... my poor nose is just dying here!!!! :rofl:

Lothlorien

I'm cracking up here. Mighty Mouse has been wearing deoderant since he was 3 1/2. I had to wear it when I was 6. Missy is just starting to wear it now at 8. I guess it's that Southern European thing. We just stink:rofl:

M

ML

Manster has needed it since 8! The daycare teacher lets me know when he forgets. No wonder I've felt like I was raising a teenager since he was 2 lol.

BusynMember

Age 15 has needed it all his life, but, with his sensory issues, he doesn't like the spray, anything that has an odor, or anything strong...so sometimes...ewwwwwwwww. 12 just started smelling. She is good about--deoderant, many showers etc. Both of my kids can get RIPE.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Yeah, he's making more oils, more perspiration, etc. Ready or not, here it comes! But don't expect mammoth changes overnight. It can be a very gradual thing. And don't worry about his growth. As long as he's eating and not losing weight, he'll eventually get where he's genetically programmed to be. Some guys are just late bloomers. husband shot up three inches after highschool and didn't really grow much until his senior year.

Alttlgabby

Oh lordy, yes!!!! And they usually smell like little old men! You should smell my niece at times if she forgets her deodarant. YIKES!!! (And she just turned 14 as well).

Oh, and my son was one of the shortest one's in 9th grade and he used to be so afraid that he would be small all through HS. He is now in 11th and stands 5 feet 9 and is still growing!!!! Still just as skinny as ever though! LOL

Marguerite

difficult child 3 just turned 15, is really shooting up tall now. He took longer to get growing, though. We got him started early on wearing deodorant - 15-20% aluminium chlorhydrate (or more concentrated, if we can get it). We put hygiene rules in place:

1) Always put deodorant on after a wash.

2) Always wash at least once a day; always wash after heavy exercise or swimming.

3) Always put deodorant on in the morning before getting dressed.

4) Never put sweaty, smelly clothes back on a clean body (or you waste the wash).

5) Sweaty, smelly clothes must go to the laundry and immediately be sprayed (armpit areas especially) with white vinegar.

They are simple rules but have made life much more pleasant and rendered the atmosphere more tolerable.

Marg

susiestar

Roll With It
It is time to take him to the store and let him pick out an antiperspirant that he likes and you can tolerate. Also time to teach him about MODERATION, esp with the body sprays like AXE.

It is a sure sign puberty is coming. thank you (9) had to start wearing A/P recently because I got a whiff of him after school one day. OMG I thought my older kids were ripe!!! We always get unscented products because I am so allergic to scents.

Imagine being a teacher stuck in a room with 15-30 kids who ALL need antiperspirant, and either don't wear it, it wears off, or they over use the "body sprays" to cover it up. It can get really gross. I used to go into my dad's classes to teach the biology part of science because he hated it and I loved it. He would get me out of school and take me to his school for the day. It was absolutely mind-blowing how bad the room could get on a hot day (no air conditioning for his school!). And that was before a lot of the "men's" products that are out now.

Just remember that deodorant is just perfume to cover the smell. It takes an antiperspirant to really cope with it. It keeps you from perspiring there and can make a big difference in how you smell.

Just an odd hint for girls - if you are well endowed, a swipe of gentle A/P under your breasts can help prevent prickly heat and other problems. I had no idea until Jess started trying it and it really helped.