Update... Questions on testing

jcox

The school agreed to pay for the neuropsychologist evaluation, developmental-behavioral evaluation, Projective personality/social emotional testing, and the educational evaluation parts of the IEE I requested. They also agreed to re-evaluate him for PT and Occupational Therapist (OT) as well as have an outside agency that specializes in children with Autism Spectrum Disorders/behavioral issues. All of that is great!

I agreed to the PT re-evaluation instead of getting this in the IEE too. The school sent home a sensory profile for me to fill out. We just had him tested for sensory integration issues back in December. Back that time they used a different checklist called Sensory Processing Measure. This time it is called a Sensory Profile. I am concerned with filling this out again because I don't want them to discontinue services if he scores different on this test although I doubt that will happen because he has always had major sensory issues. Can I refuse to fill out this form and have them just go by the one from December? My main concern for PT was his gross motor skills, because he already sees them for his sensory processing disorder (SPD) once a week, as well as gets classroom adaptations for this. I don't want all that taken away from him. Yes in my school district it is PT and not Occupational Therapist (OT) who does SI. Would that happen if I agree to this new sensory testing?

helpangel

I don't see how the sensory testing would interfere with PT working with him on gross motor skills. Somewhere there are goals written out for the PT to do the gross motor stuff and I would think the only way they would take that away would be if he didn't need it because he mastered the goals, and with my 12yo when one goal gets mastered they figure out a bigger goal. If the PT does the Occupational Therapist (OT) stuff at your school probably what they will do is write more goals to include the sensory issues; therefore PT may add 10-20 minutes to their sessions or see him twice a week instead of once.

Actually your district might be smarter then you think because my 12yo gets both Occupational Therapist (OT) & PT at school and they often will meet with her simultaneously because what they are doing is addressing both of their goals with her. So my district is paying for 2 therapists where yours can kill 2 birds with on stone (or therapist in this case).